The infamous curtain

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
Rather than hijacking the other thread...

Jamie recently claimed it was Cael's. I'm not convinced.

However, it's water under the bridge. If there's a curtain this year, we'll know.

The first year they did it I was told by somebody in the athletic department that it was Cael's idea. He supposedly thought it made a better atmosphere and I agree. I suppose the whole thing could be an evil Jaime plot to mislead people but if so, it isn't recent.

Until we sellout the reduced Hilton we absolutely need to keep it. The exception is for Beauty and the Beast where obviously you can't have it.

In my mind the Iowa meet is the only regular meet that you could even make an argument for not having it. Personally I hope they keep it, but if they decide to remove it to make a few extra bucks I hope they keep the mat down on the end. If they don't, some season ticket holders will end up with worse seats for that meet even if you reseat them.

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006
Jamie recently claimed it was Cael's. I'm not convinced.

However, it's water under the bridge. If there's a curtain this year, we'll know.

Even if the curtain is still around next season, it doesn't mean it wasn't Cael's idea.

benisu

Apr 23, 2009
Ames
Keep the curtain; it provides a better atmosphere in Hilton, but remove it during the Iowa meet.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
It was Cael's idea. There even was talk at one point about having meets over at CY.

Whoa - isn't the reason the athletic department took over Hilton was so ISU wouldn't have to PAY RENT for sports events???
They'd have to pay $$$ for C.Y. Stephens...

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I don't understand the reason to remove the curtain. Were there any ISU donors or Athletic Association members turned away? Any ISU fan can get tickets to this meet early enough that it isn't any big deal. The whole controversy started in IC just because the Iowa fans couldn't get in. If it gets to the point that we have enough season ticket holders or donors wanting tickets that we can't fill all orders then I can see expanding the area. Until that day, keep it.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
It was Cael's idea. There even was talk at one point about having meets over at CY.

That would be pretty interesting actually. Could a basketball court fit on stage at CY too? I cant say that the atmosphere would be quite right in CY Stephens for ANY athletic event...

iowajazz

Nov 25, 2006
Johnston, IA
Wells Fargo uses a curtain for events that aren't going to sell out as do many other similar facilities. I think it's a good thing no matter who initiated the idea.

HiltonMagic

Apr 12, 2006
CA
Visit site
That would be pretty interesting actually. Could a basketball court fit on stage at CY too? I cant say that the atmosphere would be quite right in CY Stephens for ANY athletic event...

No, CY's stage is 80' wide at its widest point. A basketball court is 94'.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
Moving meets to CY would **** off too many people. That would be the worst idea ever. Also, the Daily ran an article before the Iowa meet last time it was in Ames where it announced it was Cael's idea.

HiltonMagic

Apr 12, 2006
CA
Visit site
Moving meets to CY would **** off too many people. That would be the worst idea ever. Also, the Daily ran an article before the Iowa meet last time it was in Ames where it announced it was Cael's idea.

I'm guessing that's why they didn't do it. They just played around with the idea.

Melvin

Jul 29, 2008
Crete, NE
Keep the curtain. I liked it. It would be cool to have a meet at CY, that would be interesting. I'm not saying it would be better. It would be different and interesting.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
I'm guessing that's why they didn't do it. They just played around with the idea.
Which is a good thing

Keep the curtain. I liked it. It would be cool to have a meet at CY, that would be interesting. I'm not saying it would be better. It would be different and interesting.
It would be "interesting" until you actually think about the dynamics of it. Then it becomes a stupid idea. That limits attendance from around 3K down to about 500-1000.

Cymon

Apr 10, 2006
Ankeny
The reason they keep the curtain when we wrestle has nothing to do with how many fans will show up or is it trying to keep out Hawk fans. The reason is that the big time donors who paid to get front row seats would not have them anymore if the curtain was raised. You raise the curtain, the mat slides to the middle of the floor. The big time donor who once had perfect seats now watches it from the end. I don't know why this is so hard for Hawkeye fans to understand. It is more about taking care of ISU ticket holders than trying to stick it to Hawk fans. I know I would be pissed if I had 50yd line tickets for football and was told they would be moving the field 30 yds to the south. My 50yd line seats would then be 30 yd line seats.

stvfarmboy

May 20, 2006
Ames, IA
The reason they keep the curtain when we wrestle has nothing to do with how many fans will show up or is it trying to keep out Hawk fans. The reason is that the big time donors who paid to get front row seats would not have them anymore if the curtain was raised. You raise the curtain, the mat slides to the middle of the floor. The big time donor who once had perfect seats now watches it from the end. I don't know why this is so hard for Hawkeye fans to understand. It is more about taking care of ISU ticket holders than trying to stick it to Hawk fans. I know I would be pissed if I had 50yd line tickets for football and was told they would be moving the field 30 yds to the south. My 50yd line seats would then be 30 yd line seats.

Actually if they moved the field 30 yds, your seats would be on the 20 yd line. But that just further proves your point.

bbrill140

Jul 1, 2006
I agree totally. As long as we could find a way to limit the Hawk fans that got in. State fans would have to step up so we wouldn't get out staged at our own place.