[Added Jason Essex] 2022 Class Breakdown

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
Drew Allar... Holy Ratings Boost, Batman

Up 360+ spots to #89

Ole Miss oferred 2/23.. He's exploding right now

I was hoping he'd stay a little more under the radar. Now we need to hope he has too great a relationship with the coaching staff to commit elsewhere. With the way he's blowing up, he might get just about any offer he wants.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I was hoping he'd stay a little more under the radar. Now we need to hope he has too great a relationship with the coaching staff to commit elsewhere. With the way he's blowing up, he might get just about any offer he wants.
The only school I’d really think we wouldn’t have a fair chance against is tOSU—and they have their QB, the #1 player in the class.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
With the 2021 Class all, but wrapped up, it may be time to take a look at some targets I think are high priorities.

QB
Drew Allar - 6'5" with a big arm. Hok is heavily recruiting.
Jaxon Dailey. 6'2" mobile QB from SouthEast Polk. Lefty.

RB
Jaylon Glover - 5'9", Reminds me of the guys Rhoads wanted to bring in, but never could.
Quaron Adams - 5'8" one of the fastest players we've ever recruited (10.4s 100m as a sophomore). Would be used in the Lang/Silas role.
Kaleb Johnson 6'1" Malik Verdon's good friend and teammate.
Nicholas Singleton - 5’11” Top 100 recruit. Would be the best recruit in ISU history.
Ollie Gordon - 6'1" 210. Breece Hall 2.0. Ran for 450 yards in the state championship. Committed to Okie State

WR
Jayden Gibson 6'6" Hakeem Butler 2.0 but better
Jason Essex 6'3" Xavier Hutchinson type here. Would be a huge get for the clones.
Kristen Hoskins 5'10" with crazy athleticism. Super fast.
Chandler Smith 6’3” super fast. High level talent.
Rawson MacNeill 6'5" we may be looking at another Hakeem Butler here. Very raw with rare athleticism
Quinton Conley 6'5" 4 star

TE
Eli Raridon - 6'6" Valley kid. Heavily recruited
Gabe Burkle - 6'7" Iowa kid
Teigan Martin 6'7"
Chase Androff 6'6"
Yes, there is a height requirement of 6'6"

OL
No idea yet

DE
Chase Carter 6'6" great athleticism. Gonna be a problem when his body fills out. Hok target
Landon Dean 6'4" Easton's cousin.
Ikeena Ezeogu 6'6" Gonna be a better pass rusher than run stopper, and he'll be a pretty good run stopper
Venson Sneed 6'5" The one guy I hope that stays under-recruited. Only has a Kentucky and ISU offer as of this post.
Mario Eugenio 6'3" 4 star sack machine

DT
Domonique Orange 6'4" 4 star.

LB
WIll McLaughlin. 6'3" Iowa kid. Hok Priority. Grew up Cyclone.
Matt Rose 6'2" Mike's brother and the spitting image of him. The question will be if he wants to follow in Mike's footsteps

S
Xavier Nwankpa 6'2" Nuff said.
Nathanael Sulka 6'4" Is he a LB? Is he a true Safety? Who cares? he's a playmaker and we are his only offer
Trevon Howard 6'2" Will be a 4 star when it's all said and done
D'Angelo Hutchinson 6'3" Under the radar, ball hawk.
Idris WIlliams 5'11"

CB
London Hall 6'3" he's a 6'3" corner.\
Ambrose Wilson

Commits
Jacob Imming

My 2022 Dream Team (will keep track of changes, misses and commitments)
QB Drew Allar
RB Kaleb Johnson
RB/WR Quaron Adams
WR Quinton Conley
WR Kristen Hoskins
TE Eli Raridon
TE Gabe Burkle
OL Martin Koivisto
OL Deylin Hasert
OL Kale Krogh
OL Avery Henry
DE Mario Eugenio
DE Venson Sneed
DT Domonique Orange
LB Will Mclaughlin
LB Jacob Imming
LB Matt Rose
S Trevon Howard
S D'Angelo Hutchinson
S Idris Williams
CB Ambrose Wilson

5 Weekly Notes (updated February 25th)

1. In Campbell We Trust.
When any college team does very well, we often see a significant uptick in the guys who they are targeting. For instance, Minnesota went after so many four stars. It happened at Baylor and TCU in the 2010s. Don't expect Campbell and Co. to go after stars and rankings. They do business by evaluations and recruiting the guys at the top of THEIR board and not the top of 247s board.
Guys like Domonique Orange are at the top of their board. Guys like D'Angelo Hutchinson are very high on the board although he is basically unknown to most schools.
As you watch players like this, you start to get a sense of who this staff likes to target. We are not going to target small running backs, quarterbacks that aren't accurate, or safeties and LBs can't cover the run and the pass. Get use to the Mike Rose/Breece Hall/Hakeem Butler/Greg Eisworth clones.

If you need another reason, read Pete Mundo's piece on the 2018 class.

2. Iowa State is not most players' dream school yet.
The buzz this week had been around Quaron Adams. Since Kristen Hoskins committed, Quaron Adams is THE GUY at M. That guy..... man...... find me a player that is more athletically gifted than him who has played here.
However... His dream is NOT Iowa State. It's Oregon. They have both great football and great track. He will no doubt be a star in track and NFL teams would rather take a chance on a Oregon player than an ISU player if even thing is equal.
Let's face it. Iowa State is still not a destination school. They are coming because of Campbell and there is nothing wrong with that. We see it all the time with Florida State, Nebraska, and Michigan State. Their brand pulls in kids. A lot of kids who get an ISU offer don't even know ISU is in the Big 12. (To be honest, I didn't know ISU was in Division 1 until we played Texas my freshman year).
This will start to change over the next few years, but we will have to fight the dream school for every prospect.

3. Speaking of Quaron Adams and the M position, the Kristen Hoskins commitment left a shockwave. He was our first big miss of the recruiting season. We garnered a great relationship and he was ripped from our grasp. I can feel a sense of prioritizing certain recruits faster.
Yes, the staff has dealt with losing out on recruits for years. That's part of the job. HOWEVER, the 2022 class is different. Staffs have no idea of a player's timetable. Most either say "I'm going to take my visits" and actually take them. The dead period has thrown a wrench in all of this. It's a complete mystery, especially since there is no end date.
Look to see ISU pushing for a few of their favorites now.

CascadiaClone

FKA BoredInKildee
Sep 26, 2012
Portland, Ore
Hey @cyclone4L at the beginning of February you said you had some intel on some big recruiting news you were expecting by the end of the month. I keep checking this thread for it, just wondering if that ship has sailed or we still might see something soon? Thanks for all of your work.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
3. Speaking of Quaron Adams and the M position, the Kristen Hoskins commitment left a shockwave. He was our first big miss of the recruiting season. We garnered a great relationship and he was ripped from our grasp. I can feel a sense of prioritizing certain recruits faster.
Yes, the staff has dealt with losing out on recruits for years. That's part of the job. HOWEVER, the 2022 class is different. Staffs have no idea of a player's timetable. Most either say "I'm going to take my visits" and actually take them. The dead period has thrown a wrench in all of this. It's a complete mystery, especially since there is no end date.
Hoskins was a miss, but a very replaceable one.

Wasn’t exactly a laundry list of schools going after him.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Only two notes this week. Not much movement (besides the Quaron Adams stuff)

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Would we take him if he pulls a semi-normal Fleck decommit? I assume the staff doesn't get butthurt by a teenager unless he was dishonest or somehing like that.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Would we take him if he pulls a semi-normal Fleck decommit? I assume the staff doesn't get butthurt by a teenager unless he was dishonest or somehing like that.
My instinct tells me it's either Adams or Hoskins for the M. If we land Adams, we'll stop talking to Hoskins. Until then, they'll keep tabs. Hoskins was talented and interested enough to try to flip.

Baller101

Feb 19, 2021
My instinct tells me it's either Adams or Hoskins for the M. If we land Adams, we'll stop talking to Hoskins. Until then, they'll keep tabs. Hoskins was talented and interested enough to try to flip.

Iowa state isn't flipping Hoskins. Minnesota born through & through, very close relationship with Tyler Johnson

Teams don't flip wr from Fleck along with best we coach in nation with Mike Simon

Baller101

Feb 19, 2021

Haha Tyler Johnson, Cory Davis, & Now soon to be 1st round pick Rashod Bateman.