The greatest Metal song of all time?

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Revolution might have been a step in the right direction, but hard to imagine this not blowing a kids mind in 1970:

Nah, not hard, kids had already heard the wolf howl in 1968 (not much metal, I guess, but on digital, you can hear a whole lot more than we used to on vinyl...)

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I submit for your consideration Opeth's 'Ghost of Perdition.' All marvel before it's majesty. Come at me bro.

PS
If the screaming hurts your little girl ears @TXCyclones it's mostly singing after the first couple minutes.

Best Metal. This should be good. I'll jump in soon. Looking forward to listening. Metal is not my favorite but there are some good ones.

Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I submit for your consideration Opeth's 'Ghost of Perdition.' All marvel before it's majesty. Come at me bro.

PS
If the screaming hurts your little girl ears @TXCyclones it's mostly singing after the first couple minutes.

Pretty good choice. Cant' say I liked some of the vocals, haha, but great musicianship thruout!

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Define "metal" if you will, before I post something too old.
I shouldn't have to honestly but if you want it to be just rock go ahead.
I think I know what metal is, and heavy metal, the latter I don't really care for too much. Here is one to consider. It's more in the Rock genre but with Eddie VH there is metal going on! And I'm sure EVH inspired a lot of metal bands.

I'm not anywhere close to picking my 'best' metal song yet. Don't know enough.

Reactions: EricND and Drew0311

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I guess this would be a popular choice back in the 80's (1984).
Again, don't hold me to 'best' yet. I'm just gonna throw some out.

Last edited:
Reactions: EricND

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Its definitely their heaviest. Hardcore Slipknot fans will tell you this was their best album, but its not for everyone.
Yes I've heard that but I just don't see it. Left Behind is awesome but the rest is kind of monotonous to me. I think their first album is best.

Reactions: Cypwr

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

Truely a great progressive rock mostly instrumental! A classic.

Not quite the metal sound however.

"Turn the level knob up enough so that the volume sounds the same whether the pedal is on or off. This is called "unity" gain and you are now at a neutral position to start tweaking your tone. Turn the gain/drive/distortion knob up until it sounds "metal" enough for you."
electric guitar - How to set up an amp for a metal sound? - Music: Practice & Theory Stack Exchange

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I suppose this song gets pretty close to some early punk rock metal! If so, it will be in my Top 10.

Here is the Van Halen version

This one from VH is better because it includes some more of his "eruption" solo, and in a better quality.

Last edited:

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
This seems like a thread where people are posting their favorite songs and not really the best Metal song or the list would look like this:

1) Heaven and Hell - Black Sabbath (Dio on vocals)
2) Hallowed Be Thy Name - Iron Maiden
3) Cemetery Gates - Pantera

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
A few lesser known songs from popular artists that I've always felt are metal as hell. Not the best message if you are a believer. Pantera gets my vote for best metal band of all time. Good mix of tough sounds with tough vocals. not a big fan of cowboys from hell though. sounds like they were trying to bring the hair metal crowd into a tougher sound. never been a fan of noodley electric guitar solos and high pitched vocals in metal (for the most part).

NIN Heresy

Manson. Angel with the scabbed wings

Last edited:
Reactions: CloneFanInKC

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
A few lesser known songs from popular artists that I've always felt are metal as hell. Not the best message if you are a believer. Pantera gets my vote for best metal band of all time. Good mix of tough sounds with tough vocals. not a big fan of cowboys from hell though. sounds like they were trying to bring the hair metal crowd into a tougher sound. never been a fan of noodley electric guitar solos and high pitched vocals in metal (for the most part).

NIN Heresy

Manson. Angel with the scabbed wings

Scabbed Wings!!!

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
I saw someone post about Suicidal Tendencies, I totally forgot about them. I still have the Lights, Camera, Revolution cassette.

• Love
Reactions: demoncore1031

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron