The Fran fade

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I agree. Don't be fooled by any positive results, the primary reason they press is to take time off the shot clock to reduce the amount of time they have to defend in the half court where they will get exposed.

Secondly, the press can speed opponents up and bait them into quick shots with potential offensive rebounders out of position so they don't get exposed as much on the glass. It can also create extra possessions for Fran in that way.

Their press compensates for the athletic shortcomings of their largely mid-major-esque roster they trot out most years. They have used it many times throughout Fran's tenure, and to Fran's credit I think it's served its intended purpose more often than not.

Fran knows they aren't built to out-slug many high major teams possession for possession straight up. I think it's most effective when they couple it with a zone, particularly when they can shoot the 3 like they could last year.
I hate to admit it, but the more I think about it and having watched Fran's teams with casual interest over the past decade, I agree with you. I think that means Fran might be a decent coach...might be...from an x's and o's standpoint at least. His downfalls are recruiting, adapting/adjusting in-game, and of course his temper.

• Agree
Reactions: Walter and RezClone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Fran's focus of the ISU game has really paid off during Sweet 16 runs.

Iowa defense was just so bad last night but I know they'll be just flying around Thursday.

December basketball is the Iowa lifer fan dream.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I hate to admit it, but the more I think about it and having watched Fran's teams with casual interest over the past decade, I agree with you. I think that means Fran might be a decent coach...might be...from an x's and o's standpoint at least. His downfalls are recruiting, adapting/adjusting in-game, and of course his temper.

His whole deal is a house of cards.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Iowa is 22-3 since September of 2015 against ISU in football (6-0), Men's Bball (4-2), Wrestling (7-0) and Women's Bball (5-1). That is a hell of a run that will probably never be duplicated again. Just wanted to post it one more time before the games this week since I have a feeling Iowa might lose both.

Thanks Steve Prohm.

Reactions: ChamplinCyclone22

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
One thing I dislike about the Covid year is that it makes it about impossible to know who will be on a team somewhat year from year. Will this one stay, will they use it, will they use it to transfer?

• Agree
Reactions: iahawks