The Fran fade

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
...Seems like as poorly as Iowa plays defense, the full court traps they run seem to be very effective. They do it only out of desperation, though it seems maybe it should be implemented full time.
I agree. Don't be fooled by any positive results, the primary reason they press is to take time off the shot clock to reduce the amount of time they have to defend in the half court where they will get exposed.

Secondly, the press can speed opponents up and bait them into quick shots with potential offensive rebounders out of position so they don't get exposed as much on the glass. It can also create extra possessions for Fran in that way.

Their press compensates for the athletic shortcomings of their largely mid-major-esque roster they trot out most years. They have used it many times throughout Fran's tenure, and to Fran's credit I think it's served its intended purpose more often than not.

Fran knows they aren't built to out-slug many high major teams possession for possession straight up. I think it's most effective when they couple it with a zone, particularly when they can shoot the 3 like they could last year.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Don't know. I feel rebounding is going to be an issue all year with this team. They can shoot better though. They struggled from the line and Three last night I thought.
You really don't have any good shooters outside of Bohannon do you?

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
Keegan Murray is a long instinctive athletic energy guy who is a tweener in a good way. Murray is skilled enough to be taken seriously at the P5 level, but he isn't going to beat you with skill alone or blow you away with talent.

His best player comp is Aaron White (bring that up to Hok fans if u want to piss them off), although I do think he's a better version of him with a higher ceiling. His brother is very similar.

Now do JorBo. Steph Curry?

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Iowa is 22-3 since September of 2015 against ISU in football (6-0), Men's Bball (4-2), Wrestling (7-0) and Women's Bball (5-1). That is a hell of a run that will probably never be duplicated again. Just wanted to post it one more time before the games this week since I have a feeling Iowa might lose both.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Iowa is 22-3 since September of 2015 against ISU in football (6-0), Men's Bball (4-2), Wrestling (7-0) and Women's Bball (5-1). That is a hell of a run that will probably never be duplicated again. Just wanted to post it one more time before the games this week since I have a feeling Iowa might lose both.

What's the record starting in 2011?

I just remember reminding Iowa fans of ISU's winning streak in football years ago and the answer would be 'but 80s/90s Hoks!'.

BTW I think Iowa wins Thursday. It's December.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron