The Fran fade

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
Did you ever see Georges under the basket with his footwork and ability to hit shots in the paint? I’m not sure Garza is better there
Yea, but I would still give the lean to Garza. He was pretty darn dominate last year

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Yea, but I would still give the lean to Garza. He was pretty darn dominate last year
Love Georges and he is more versatile. Luka battles a little harder on the glass but then again has about 4 inches on Georges. They are similarly limited athletically, although Garza even more so. Garza means more to his team than Georges did to his. A Garza-less Hawk team probably can scratch out 20 wins if NIT games count for the total. A Georges-less ISU team won a round of 32 game. More an indicator of the team than of the individual though in this case.

• Agree
Reactions: SouthernCy

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
P5 Offers

Tyrese Hunter in the last 4 months:
Georgia Tech, Iowa State, Louisville, Creighton, Marquette, Northwestern, Florida, DePaul, Arizona State, Miami, Virginia Tech, Georgia, Texas Tech

Iowa’s seven 2019 and 2020 Commits Combined:
Providence, Rutgers
This would make for a great sig line

Cytown12

Mar 11, 2012
Des Moines,IA
Haliburton sure as hell wasn't going to be a contender for NPOY last season minus 10 games or not. Who the hell knows what he would've accomplished if he'd have stayed. Garza's style and attributes don't translate as well to the NBA as it is today. Everybody knows that. It doesn't take anything away from him being dominant in cbb.
He's had one dominant year and the other two were nothing special

Mississippi Clone

Aug 6, 2016
This would make for a great sig line
well you do have to consider nobody likely offered Patrick Mac since everyone knew where he was going, I think he was like a 0.96 composite on 247 so would have had a bunch of offers. I am not sure he will live up to the 0.96 rating, likely some of it due to his health issues unfortunately. That being said unless Mad Fran can really pull some surprises out of his hat for the upcoming recruiting season it could be brutal for Hawk Fans in a year or two. Granted this could be a special season, say what you want about his NBA potential but Garza is a great player, you watch him and think he is slow of foot and not that athletic and swear a good defense should be able to stop him but nobody can. They have some good players around him. So I would still love to upset them and i think their national title talk is a overly optimistic but still could be a great season for them. But without Garza next year, JBo who can shoot it, and potentially Joe W (although i don't see him being a round 1 or 2 NBA pick) man it looks bleak. Fran has never been very good at the transfer market, last years recruits ratings are weak and to miss out on a not very highly ranked recruit to Iona already this year isn't a great sign. Again on the recruiting thing the 247 scores are not an exact science and sometimes a low ranked player becomes great and a highly rated player doesn't work out, but in general if you look at who ends up good it is the highly ranked recruits. Given Frans 2019, 2020 classes and a potentially weak 2021 class and poor transfer history if i was a Hawk fan I would be living it up this year!

Mississippi Clone

Aug 6, 2016
I would give Garza a good CBB but not great.
not standing up for the Hawk faithful but in the running for national POY last year and a favorite for it this year? come on now give him his due, and yes he is unlikely to be in the NBA in most peoples opinion but on that team in his role he is a great CBB player.

Reactions: dexterhawk

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
P5 Offers

Tyrese Hunter in the last 4 months:
Georgia Tech, Iowa State, Louisville, Creighton, Marquette, Northwestern, Florida, DePaul, Arizona State, Miami, Virginia Tech, Georgia, Texas Tech

Iowa’s seven 2019 and 2020 Commits Combined:
Providence, Rutgers
Rutgers hasn't even made the tourney during his lifetime :mccaffery:

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
I would give Garza a good CBB but not great.
He's great. I know he didn't win Wooden but some sources did name him the NPOY. He was unanimously 1st team all-american. Big 10 player of the year. That's great no matter the year and no matter what you do before or after.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I disagree with this. Unless he developed a more consistent threw point shot (more like 40%, he was at 35ish% last year) or he became one hell of a ball handler I don't see it. Someone on twitter tried to say Georges shouldn't be in the league and Garza is a better score than him. I heavily disagreed with that because to be a better scorer, imo, means you are more versatile in the ways you can score. Georges has great feet, a great three point shot, a great ball handler, and is good under the basket. Garza is clearly better under the basket than Georges, but he doesn't have better feet, he doesn't have a better three point shot, and he isn't as good or near to close to the same ball handler. Hence, Garza won't be drafted. IMO
I don't think some on here are understanding what I'm saying about Garza getting to the league.. I'm not saying he's going to be drafted next year. If he was going to get drafted, it was probably going to be this year. Maybe someone will take a flier on him, but I'd say there's an extremely high chance he doesn't get picked up.

However, that doesn't mean he can't and won't end up signing a G-League contract and sneak into the league or sign a two way contract. And if ends up signing an NBA contract, you're usually set for life in the NBA unless you screw up off the court or get injured. When I say Garza will be in the NBA, I'm not saying he's going to be racking up a ton of minutes either. Unless he can get quicker on defense (which is honestly his main issue but a ginormous one), he will be an end of the bench type of player, BUT will make a ton of money doing so.

• Informative
Reactions: SouthernCy

Cytown12

Mar 11, 2012
Des Moines,IA
not standing up for the Hawk faithful but in the running for national POY last year and a favorite for it this year? come on now give him his due, and yes he is unlikely to be in the NBA in most peoples opinion but on that team in his role he is a great CBB player.
I would say he could move up to great if he has a good year this year like the last one. But I also feel like Garza is a little overrated and is gonna have a bad year this next season.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I would say he could move up to great if he has a good year this year like the last one. But I also feel like Garza is a little overrated and is gonna have a bad year this next season.
I don't think Garza is going to have a bad year per se, but I think his production is going to go down. He was not overrated last year though. Not at all. He was absolutely great.

And to the argument about whether he's a great CBB player, that answer would be yes until it isn't. Meaning, he'd have to regress a ton for him to be referred to as not a great basketball player.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I don't think Garza is going to have a bad year per se, but I think his production is going to go down. He was not overrated last year though. Not at all. He was absolutely great.

And to the argument about whether he's a great CBB player, that answer would be yes until it isn't. Meaning, he'd have to regress a ton for him to be referred to as not a great basketball player.

I think more and more teams are going to figure him out and force others to beat them. Iowa does have some other pieces that can shoot well, so if Garza gets bogged down low, he'll just pass it out.

I truly wish the guy well, I love his competitive side. Unfortunately he just plays a team I can't root for.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013

24 and 10 is pretty tough to surpass so you may be right....wouldn't put it past him though.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I think more and more teams are going to figure him out and force others to beat them. Iowa does have some other pieces that can shoot well, so if Garza gets bogged down low, he'll just pass it out.

I truly wish the guy well, I love his competitive side. Unfortunately he just plays a team I can't root for.
Yeah I'm not sure how teams are going to attack Iowa because last year, teams did it differently. When Michigan played them in Ann Arbor, they let Garza go one-on-one, never doubled, let Garza get his 40, and shut down everyone else. However other teams did the opposite where they would double Garza almost every time and let someone else beat them.

That's a very nice problem to have, but we'll have to see how things change as teams are now completely familiar with Garza's game.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
He's great. I know he didn't win Wooden but some sources did name him the NPOY. He was unanimously 1st team all-american. Big 10 player of the year. That's great no matter the year and no matter what you do before or after.

If he's that great, why isn't he a lock for the first round in the NBA? In hawk fans eyes, yeah they think he is great, like a lot of other hawks before him, but please remind us how many hawks are in the NBA.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
24 and 10 is pretty tough to surpass so you may be right....wouldn't put it past him though.
And that doesn't mean he regressed because he averages lower. Hell, the team might be better overall and he doesn't have to do as much, which is great for him. If he's just as efficient scoring 18 as he was scoring 24, then he didn't regress. He'd have to average lower points and be less efficient to have regressed.

Reactions: dexterhawk

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
And that doesn't mean he regressed because he averages lower. Hell, the team might be better overall and he doesn't have to do as much, which is great for him. If he's just as efficient scoring 18 as he was scoring 24, then he didn't regress. He'd have to average lower points and be less efficient to have regressed.
He needs to work on his defense, not his PPG.

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins

Help Support Us

Become a patron