The Fran fade

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Prohm had a loaded roster his first two years.

Wasn't Iowa pretty good in year 1 of Prohm?

His second team had 4 very good players and then some interchangeable serviceable players, none of whom could play the 5 very well.

Not a loaded roster though.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Fred had Fran's number
Fran had Steve's number

I guess it's time for TJ to dial up Fran.
Right, I think Steve still beat Fran a couple of times, but the talent disparity was still pretty one-sided in favor of ISU in the early Prohm era. And one of those w's required a massive comeback as a much high-ranked team. Let's hope TJ isn't intimidated by Fran like Steve was.

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
More of an athletic specimen for sure. Senior Aaron White probably a bit more polished as a player still. Doubt that part is true by Murray's senior year.
He was a goony fella for sure, but Senior Aaron White was and is underrated as a CBB player. He made a lot of winning plays while somehow filling up the scoring column pretty efficiently.

Murray is better than White, but he's a lot closer to White than he is Garza. Particularly in playing style. All these Hok studs aren't exactly silky poetry-in-motion out there either, which is pretty typical of Hawkeye basketball under Fran.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
One thing I dislike about the Covid year is that it makes it about impossible to know who will be on a team somewhat year from year. Will this one stay, will they use it, will they use it to transfer?
I also dislike covid year. Players had the opportunity to opt out. If they didn't, why shouldn't it count toward eligibility? Only should've applied to opt-outs IMO.

Reactions: BCClone

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I hate when we bash Iowa just before we lose to them. Maybe shut the **** up and win.

It's the ISR forum. That's the whole point of the forum. If people talking sh!t about Iowa bothers you, you can always opt out of the ISR.

• Agree
Reactions: RezClone

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
You really don't have any good shooters outside of Bohannon do you?
They have one token mid-major kid from Iowa who can stroke it, but can't do anything else. That's what makes me appreciate Grill. He can shoot, but he's always been a plus athlete who has proven himself to be a legitimate high major two-way guard off the bench.

Grill's all-around game has more value than his value as a pure shooter, although I think that has continued to improve throughout his career. Thomas and Naz also brought plus athleticism to the table.

You can ALWAYS find kids who have the ability to hit 35-40% from deep, but don't bring anything else to the table. Leave those kids for Drake, SDSU, and the directional schools. It's a wasted scholarship and a sign of weak recruiting ability.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
They have one token mid-major kid from Iowa who can stroke it, but can't do anything else. That's what makes me appreciate Grill. He can shoot, but he's always been a plus athlete who has proven himself to be a legitimate high major two-way guard off the bench.

Grill's all-around game has more value than his value as a pure shooter, although I think that has continued to improve throughout his career. Thomas and Naz also brought plus athleticism to the table.

You can ALWAYS find kids who have the ability to hit 35-40% from deep, but don't bring anything else to the table. Leave those kids for Drake, SDSU, and the directional schools. It's a wasted scholarship and a sign of weak recruiting ability.
I don't think Sandfort is a very good shooter

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
It's the ISR forum. That's the whole point of the forum. If people talking sh!t about Iowa bothers you, you can always opt out of the ISR.
Thank for the feedback. It has literally nothing to do with **** talking. It has everything to do with the stupid "super bowl" excuses etc. Iowa is simply beating us...handily in all sports. Making excuses is weak.

• Agree
Reactions: iahawks

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Right. What gets lost on these people is there's a reason we don't trash Kansas from a bball standpoint and OU from a FB standpoint before we play them and often lose.
(See Oregon NCAA for bball or Michigan B1G for FB)

Whether they continue to beat ISU or not doesn't change the fact that there's plenty of subject matter to trash them on. Especially when they were the originators of the superbowl claim.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Jordan Bohannon is an uglier and slighly better shooting version of John Lickleiter with worse handle, worse defense, less strength and less athleticism. He's also a far worse teammate and human being.
View attachment 92893
View attachment 92894

The problem with JorBo is he's mimicking Niang's love of the rivalry and getting into it with fans, but because he isn't anywhere near the dominant player or good sport Georges is, he comes off as a douche.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Thank for the feedback. It has literally nothing to do with **** talking.
Do you even read your own posts? Here is your post I was responding too.

I hate when we bash Iowa just before we lose to them. Maybe shut the **** up and win.

That post LITERALLY is all about how you don't like people to "bash" Iowa, aka talking **** about Iowa. Good lord.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonesrule91

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Do you even read your own posts? Here is your post I was responding too.

That post LITERALLY is all about how you don't like people to "bash" Iowa, aka talking **** about Iowa. Good lord.
Clearly I didn't make it simple enough for you. I don't like bashing them about how bad they are etc prior to us losing to them. If you pay attention around here even a little bit we hear how bad their teams are then we summarily lose to them. There are folks here that make all kinds of excuses before and after we lose-it is weak and mindless.

If you don't like my posts put me on ignore. Get over yourself.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I was thinking we have a pretty good shot at winning Thursday, but the consensus on the Iowa board is Iowa State has been lucky and they don’t lose to teh Clowns. After reading their vast knowledge of bball analysis and great insight, I’m not so sure now.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Clearly I didn't make it simple enough for you. I don't like bashing them about how bad they are etc prior to us losing to them. If you pay attention around here even a little bit we hear how bad their teams are then we summarily lose to them. There are folks here that make all kinds of excuses before and after we lose-it is weak and mindless.

If you don't like my posts put me on ignore. Get over yourself.
Why would I put you on ignore? Your attempts at explaining your contradictory statements are hilarious!