The Fran fade

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
He needs to work on his defense, not his PPG.
We weren't talking about defense, however yeah if he steps up in that category, he elevates the team and himself tremendously.

We were essentially talking about how there's a chance Garza could average less, and that might not necessarily be due to him getting worse, but more because he was so damn efficient last year that it'd be hard to replicate.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Not having injuries means Fran is going to play 11+. That Frederick kid will get hurt for sure at some point though
That would concern me if I was an Iowa fan. They looked so much better with 7-8 guys and if they stay healthy this year there is no way Fran sticks with a small rotation.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Yeah I'm not sure how teams are going to attack Iowa because last year, teams did it differently. When Michigan played them in Ann Arbor, they let Garza go one-on-one, never doubled, let Garza get his 40, and shut down everyone else. However other teams did the opposite where they would double Garza almost every time and let someone else beat them.

That's a very nice problem to have, but we'll have to see how things change as teams are now completely familiar with Garza's game.

Yeah I almost think you gotta go small with slashers against him. Make him tired on the defensive end and have guys constantly attacking the rim. We didn't have slashers last year so we relied on perimeter passing and bad shooting.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Yeah I almost think you gotta go small with slashers against him. Make him tired on the defensive end and have guys constantly attacking the rim. We didn't have slashers last year so we relied on perimeter passing and bad shooting.
Yeah I think that's going to be what a lot of teams try to do this year. Garza is so important that him having to go out at any time of the game due to foul trouble can be detrimental.

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
Roster health will be the key. A lot of injuries last year.
True...if anything Garza might log more minutes than last year (if that's possible) with the loss of Kriener spelling him at the 5. A lot depends on Nunge staying healthy but the kid just hasn't had any luck in that regard. Josh O most likely won't be ready for any significant minutes.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I don't think Garza is going to have a bad year per se, but I think his production is going to go down. He was not overrated last year though. Not at all. He was absolutely great.

And to the argument about whether he's a great CBB player, that answer would be yes until it isn't. Meaning, he'd have to regress a ton for him to be referred to as not a great basketball player.
Unless his teammates have improved tremendously, I don't think we see much of a dip in production. He did what he did last year out of necessity. Jorballhog will be back though, so there's that.

Reactions: Statefan10

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
True...if anything Garza might log more minutes than last year (if that's possible) with the loss of Kriener spelling him at the 5. A lot depends on Nunge staying healthy but the kid just hasn't had any luck in that regard. Josh O most likely won't be ready for any significant minutes.
Dude looks out of shape, no offense

Reactions: Mississippi Clone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron