The Fran fade

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Whenever I make it back to Iowa these days, there is far more ISU gear to be seen than even 10 years ago. It has noticeably shifted.
Definitely. A large chunk of the state is 50/50 at worst. Some areas are stronger ISU. The eastern belt is where the Hawkeyes still have a tighter grip. Cedar Rapids and NE Iowa are the spots that ISU is starting to gain some ground though.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Maybe if ISU had that following they would be more popular like the Hawks?!
I actually like where both schools are at.. If you look up Iowa State football articles in ESPN they’re mostly about our preseason top 10 football team and us winning the Fiesta Bowl.

If you do the same for Iowa you get a bunch of articles regarding Iowa’s racial discrimination lawsuit. I guess bad publicity is good though right?

Reactions: WalkingCY

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Food for thought:

Given the sensitivity to Native American names and sports teams these days, how long before Iowa drops the Hawkeyes and goes straight to Hawks? Of course I am assuming the school adopted their name from the famous Native American Indian Chief.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
That’s not true. Lol this whole thing stems from the fact that Iowa won the popularity contest back in the day and it continues to carry over today where people who’ve never stepped foot on Iowa’s campus say “we” and “us” when talking about the Hawkeyes.

So as Iowa State fans, actually going to the school, graduating there, etc feels more special and genuine. Nowadays though, especially with Iowa State getting better at football, the fandom is spreading more and doesn’t have to be carried on from someone who went to the school.

Tavern Clone fans. Say it isn't so. Thought those wouldn't be wanted inside Clone Nation.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I've never been impressed with their campus.
Haven’t been on all of it but it seemed cut up with what I was on. Her statement was, I would need to take a 20 minute bus ride to get to certain parts. She didn’t like the two sides of the river either.

Reactions: exCYtable

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Tavern Clone fans. Say it isn't so. Thought those wouldn't be wanted inside Clone Nation.
I’d presume right now it’s more younger aged kids, but they could surely turn into those after some years. You’re bound to pick up bandwagon fans when you start getting good.

Lexclone

I survived the 2023 ad invasion
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2013
Massachusetts
Dude I'm in my 40s. Growing up us Cyclone fans were severely out numbered.
In the 80s I had a 5th grade science teacher who was a huge Hawkeye fan and a ginormous jerk. There were not many Iowa State Cyclone fans in our class, but he was relentless in his taunting of us and putting down Iowa State. I hope he is still alive and painfully enduring Iowa State’s ascendency.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Talked to a Iowa season ticket holder family last night. Daughter was set to go to Iowa, toured the campus and flipped to Creighton. Absolutely hated the Iowa campus.
I've never been impressed with their campus.

I've spent a lot of time in Iowa City and I actually have always liked Iowa's campus. With that being said. the dorm housing is a real problem, especially if you are on the wrong side of the river. Or god forbid you get stuck in Mayflower.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
ISU only wants fans that went to the school.

Don't forget having a full set of teeth is a requirement to.

At Iowa, they have to spell out I-O-W-A on flags at Kinnick since hawk fans don't have a full set of teeth and can't say IOWA. They can only enunciate vowels and consonants.

8XFT0K.gif

Attachments

• 1620160561954.png
    1620160561954.png
    124.9 KB · Views: 17

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron