The Fran fade and the "awful" transfer portal

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
That’s not true. Lol this whole thing stems from the fact that Iowa won the popularity contest back in the day and it continues to carry over today where people who’ve never stepped foot on Iowa’s campus say “we” and “us” when talking about the Hawkeyes.

So as Iowa State fans, actually going to the school, graduating there, etc feels more special and genuine. Nowadays though, especially with Iowa State getting better at football, the fandom is spreading more and doesn’t have to be carried on from someone who went to the school.
Tavern Clone fans. Say it isn't so. Thought those wouldn't be wanted inside Clone Nation.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Tavern Clone fans. Say it isn't so. Thought those wouldn't be wanted inside Clone Nation.
I’d presume right now it’s more younger aged kids, but they could surely turn into those after some years. You’re bound to pick up bandwagon fans when you start getting good.

Lexclone

Dec 8, 2013
Massachusetts
Dude I'm in my 40s. Growing up us Cyclone fans were severely out numbered.
In the 80s I had a 5th grade science teacher who was a huge Hawkeye fan and a ginormous jerk. There were not many Iowa State Cyclone fans in our class, but he was relentless in his taunting of us and putting down Iowa State. I hope he is still alive and painfully enduring Iowa State’s ascendency.

BillBrasky4Cy

Dec 10, 2013
Talked to a Iowa season ticket holder family last night. Daughter was set to go to Iowa, toured the campus and flipped to Creighton. Absolutely hated the Iowa campus.
I've never been impressed with their campus.
I've spent a lot of time in Iowa City and I actually have always liked Iowa's campus. With that being said. the dorm housing is a real problem, especially if you are on the wrong side of the river. Or god forbid you get stuck in Mayflower.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
ISU only wants fans that went to the school.
Don't forget having a full set of teeth is a requirement to.

At Iowa, they have to spell out I-O-W-A on flags at Kinnick since hawk fans don't have a full set of teeth and can't say IOWA. They can only enunciate vowels and consonants.

Attachments

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I've spent a lot of time in Iowa City and I actually have always liked Iowa's campus. With that being said. the dorm housing is a real problem, especially if you are on the wrong side of the river. Or god forbid you get stuck in Mayflower.
I think a lot of it is just personal preference. Urban campus wedged into the city, or the more separated 'island' like ISU. Some people like the downtown feel, others like the island.

I did BS at ISU and MBA at Iowa. Very strong preference for ISU for undergrad, but as an off campus grad student, Iowa was fine. Plus by that time I had money and could afford to go to bars lol.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Food for thought:

Given the sensitivity to Native American names and sports teams these days, how long before Iowa drops the Hawkeyes and goes straight to Hawks? Of course I am assuming the school adopted their name from the famous Native American Indian Chief.
Which Native American chief are we talking about? Hawkeye for the James Fenimore Cooper books was white

BCClone

SuperFanatic
Sep 4, 2011
North Iowa
Which Native American chief are we talking about? Hawkeye for the James Fenimore Cooper books was white
They said they would no longer play teams with Native American teams. Then realized there are other teams in the conference with them, then that might not work with bowls or tournaments. Then I think that meant no scrimmages and just forgot about it.

Help Support Us

Become a patron