The downfall of the T. Boone Pickens donation to OSU

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona
It didn't affect Denny Albaugh :yes:

I don't have any inside info about a donation, just pointing out he nearly tripled his net worth last year.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
This is serious if true. When sports events are affected, weekends become dreary and wives weep for their husbands becoming upset. When they disallow firepits in the parking lot and relegate your unendowed seats to the endzone times are tough. Lucky all these games are on FCS.

Might not affect us. We do not know a Boone Pickens in the gas industry (CNG). We are more into raw entertainment at a restaurant chain. We now expect to be bowling in the south end by 2014 at this rate. It weill take a lot of good Iowa farmalnd.

The good news is Gene and JP and McD will not leave until their job is done. Just like baby boomers continuing to work, our Big Three may be here a long time.

Last edited:

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
This is a great article! It really draws to light the Athletics Facilities Arms Race. It has always been there but over the past 10 years it is out-of-hand. It is an Arms Race that Iowa State simply cannot compete in. IMO, a cap on Athletics Department spending should be considered. There is a real evil underbelly to college athletics that makes some true fans like me sick. Reggie Bush was paid $300,000 yet he still has his Heisman Trophy and USC still has their 2005 national championship. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3418548 Since 2002, 46 Penn State football players have faced 163 criminal charges. (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=3504915 ) Yet all you see when you turn on College Gameday is what a great story that little, old, spunky Joe Paterno is. There is also the matter of the sexual assault cover-up at the University of Iowa. The NCAA all the while continues to turn a blind eye and cater to only the wealthy athletic departments and universities.

Reactions: ajk4st8

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
Somebodys head should roll. I dont care how much he had 'given' if they didnt have the cash in hand to expend those kinds of funds was irresponsible. If I were OSU I would be asking Mr Pickens what he intends to do. Maybe they can guilt him into covering it but its their own dang fault.