The Debate: Should FB teams stay in hotels before home games?

Me State

Oct 19, 2007
This is simple. The likes of Paul Rhoads, Kirk Ferentz and Wally Burnham seem to think its critical, so mark me for it 100%.
A surgeon should decide what he or she thinks is essential to complete his or her task, not some administrators. Same thing here.

I wish more people would think like this. Let the people that do the job for a living decide what is best. If you think your idea is better, get the job and try it your way.

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Two things:

1. It's the Athletic departments money that they generated via tickets sales, merchandise, etc... We have no right to criticize how they are spending it. It's not money generated from taxes.

2. Even if it was from taxes, that's tax payer money put directly back into the Iowa economy unlike millions of other dollars.

3. Kids staying out of trouble is a good thing.

Great points. All three of them :wink:

edr247

Aug 4, 2010
Meh. As others have said, it's a drop in the bucket compared to the money they bring in.

If it keeps the student-athletes accounted for, safe and well rested before a game, then who cares? Sure, it would be nice if they didn't really need to spend tons of money, but I don't know what kinds of deals the team gets.

On a side note, if Iowa spends that much to stay in Cedar Rapids (?), how much do the bigger teams in bigger cities spend? More, less? If somebody's posted that info already, my apologies, but for whatever reason my computer won't let me click the links above.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I don't feel like reading through all the comments here, simply because there's too many. So sorry if this is a repeat.

It's a good thing for teams to do. It keeps them out of trouble, it keeps them together (team atmosphere). And for a school like Iowa, one of the handful of athletic departments that are self-sufficient, it's not a big deal. I'm not knocking on ISU, I'd really like to see them get to wear they are in the black just by generating revenue (if Hoiberg's gambles on transfers pan out, that would give them a huge boost). If the athletic department isn't taking money from the academic side of things, I don't see what the issue is.