The City of Norwalk

ISUguy

Unsurpassed Сasual Dating - Legitimate Girls
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Usa
I have a possible job opportunity that will lead my family and I to live in Norwalk. I have not lived in Iowa for around 20 years and have not been in that area for even longer. You learn alot from a Google search, but I was hoping for some personal feedback.

Can anyone give me their impression of the area? Is this high income, low income, or somewhere in the middle? Also wondering what the schools are like.

Thanks in advance!

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I live in Indianola, so I get there quite often. There has been quite a bit of building in the last several years, so my general impression is that it is fairly nice. We looked at buying a house there when we bought our last one. The main downside seemed to be the limited amount of stores and restaurants.

CyRyder

Jan 2, 2010
Norwalk, IA
It's grown a lot in 20 years. There are some monster homes and some low income too. So I'd say it's a pretty average middle class community. I live there now, but plan on moving before kids start school, mostly just because I want them in WDM schools. I'm not a huge fan of most of the businesses there (Fareway, Pizza Hut, and the gas stations being the execptions) because the locally owned shops tend to be run by cranky people, so I usually end up getting my goods in WDM. Overall, it's a nice community. Btw, they have four courses in the area (and 5 if you count Willow Creek on the other side of the bypass). Hope this helps.

CyRyder

Jan 2, 2010
Norwalk, IA
In the last post I meant to say that Norwalk has four GOLF courses.

Like the first poster said, there aren't a lot of businesses there as most people work in DSM/WDSM so the ones who absorb the property taxes are the home owners. My property taxes were almost the same as my parents (living in WDSM) and their house is valued at almost twice as much.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
If your lucky you'll get to be neighbors with HawkfromNorwalk.

:jimlad:

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
It's a nice community but property taxes are very high. The nice thing is you should be able to find a house that fits your budget as there are some smaller, older homes on the cheaper side all the way up to huge, new homes.

Keep in mind that Norwalk is 10 minutes from WDM & Des Moines so you could easily live in the Metro and commute to Norwalk.

It really depends what your goals are (do you have kids, are bars/restaurants important, etc.).

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
My wife and I are moving to Norwalk in May. We really like the town and it is a perfect location as I am working in Indianola and her in Waukee. Being from around the area, it looks like the town is growing, there are more restaurants and shops popping up, and apparently there is a lake I never knew about. We are very much looking forward to the move.

DRCHIRO

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 13, 2008
It's grown a lot in 20 years. There are some monster homes and some low income too. So I'd say it's a pretty average middle class community. I live there now, but plan on moving before kids start school, mostly just because I want them in WDM schools. I'm not a huge fan of most of the businesses there (Fareway, Pizza Hut, and the gas stations being the execptions) because the locally owned shops tend to be run by cranky people, so I usually end up getting my goods in WDM. Overall, it's a nice community. Btw, they have four courses in the area (and 5 if you count Willow Creek on the other side of the bypass). Hope this helps.

We moved here three years ago and I must be one of those cranky business owners.:smile:
For the most part, Norwalk has everything that you need but some options may be limited. You're about 15 minutes away from a lot of options though. My wife and I love it here. We live in a nice neighborhood with a lot of other young families with kids so it works for us. Our oldest doesn't start kindergarten until next year but Norwalk has very nice schools and it's the largest 3A school in the state.

The property taxes suck but you should have no issues finding a home. PM me with any more questions.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I live in Norwalk. Moved here about 6 years ago. It's great. It's small town living but just minutes from Des Moines.
To the guy who is moving from Norwalk to get his kids WDM schools. Norwalk schools are far better than West Des Moines schools. It's not even close. I wish I had an education like they have in Norwalk. It's unreal how good the schools are. As of two years ago Norwalk for it's size averaged more kids going to college than any school in Iowa.
It's been rated as a top 5 school in Iowa. Not sure what the hell you would move your kids to WDM for.

ISUguy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Usa
Looking to raise a family as we have kids. Bars, etc. would not be that important anymore (sadly).

ISUguy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Usa
I live in Norwalk. Moved here about 6 years ago. It's great. It's small town living but just minutes from Des Moines.
To the guy who is moving from Norwalk to get his kids WDM schools. Norwalk schools are far better than West Des Moines schools. It's not even close. I wish I had an education like they have in Norwalk. It's unreal how good the schools are. As of two years ago Norwalk for it's size averaged more kids going to college than any school in Iowa.
It's been rated as a top 5 school in Iowa. Not sure what the hell you would move your kids to WDM for.

Great to know. That is probably the biggest factor for us. Also saw the property taxes were relatively high, but in my experience, good schools need to be paid for so I guess that does not surprise me.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Property taxes being high also keeps bad people out. The whole town is trending up as far as housing.

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008

I agree with knownothing - not sure that moving from Norwalk to WDM schools is an improvement.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Norwalk is a great little community... with my wife being an educator, she got a great impression from the school district there. I think Norwalk was poised to be the next Waukee before the housing crash... but it continues to be a nice place to live. Not a lot of businesses there, but hopefully there's some more commercial development across from Holmes now that the land has been sold. I can vouch for some of the cranky local owners... Probably the primary reason I do most of my shopping in WDM.

soccercy

Apr 20, 2006
Norwalk is a great little community... with my wife being an educator, she got a great impression from the school district there. I think Norwalk was poised to be the next Waukee before the housing crash... but it continues to be a nice place to live. Not a lot of businesses there, but hopefully there's some more commercial development across from Holmes now that the land has been sold. I can vouch for some of the cranky local owners... Probably the primary reason I do most of my shopping in WDM.

I coach in the school district, went to Norwalk myself for school, and moved back with my family two years ago before my daughter started school. I think it has grown nicely and property taxes have been getting better since there are more businesses now, but definitely still on the higher end. I work in WDM and have a 15 minute commute to work in the morning, work out by Jordan Creek. I can also get to downtown or to South side, Southridge, etc in 15 minutes or less, so great access to most of Des Moines. We love our neighborhood and love the schools, etc.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I have a possible job opportunity that will lead my family and I to live in Norwalk. I have not lived in Iowa for around 20 years and have not been in that area for even longer. You learn alot from a Google search, but I was hoping for some personal feedback.

Can anyone give me their impression of the area? Is this high income, low income, or somewhere in the middle? Also wondering what the schools are like.

Thanks in advance!

Norwalk...it's the best thing next to Cumming.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
We moved here three years ago and I must be one of those cranky business owners.:smile:
For the most part, Norwalk has everything that you need but some options may be limited. You're about 15 minutes away from a lot of options though. My wife and I love it here. We live in a nice neighborhood with a lot of other young families with kids so it works for us. Our oldest doesn't start kindergarten until next year but Norwalk has very nice schools and it's the largest 3A school in the state.

The property taxes suck but you should have no issues finding a home. PM me with any more questions.

I am in Norwalk also.. A few blocks away from Drchiro. Norwalk is a small town for the most part. Or it has that feeling at least. Very good people for the most part. I have lived there since 2008 and it's probably the only place I can see myself living in the Dsm Metro area.

With that said... You do have limited options. Food options are ok. Shopping options are next to nothing, except the hardware store. And the some of the local Chiropractors are the best you can find in the area.............

But you live 15 min away from Jordan Creek area and Indianola. Both good places to go. I know the schools are all very nice, new football field, new auditorium, and a lot of renevations going on all the time. I know a few of the teachers and they are all great people.

Property taxes are on the high end of things, but for the most part it seems like they do use that money to start growing the town and adding more options. Plus, most there are a bunch of nicer new homes that have gone up in the last 10 years.

Hope this helps out.

Apr 19, 2006
I've been here 11 years. I grew up in a town of about 300 people and it's great to have that small town atmosphere, but have all the perks of Des Moines (15 minutes) so close to you.

As others have said the negative would be the property tax. But the school systems are above and beyond. I have 4 in the district now and couldn't be happier.

I'm not sure if there is still the tax abatement going on, but it might be something you want to look into. Wish it was there one I bought my house.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron