The canary in the coal mine?

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
Nipped from CW's excellent piece. The MAC is killing costs through 2024.

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
The CDC says that everything would have to go perfect to have a Covid19 vaccine in 12-18 months, and that the process has never gone perfectly.

So, the ADs and MAC commish have to be sitting there thinking, we’re facing a few years of no sports wtf do we do.

Non-P5 sports are doomed and my heart goes out to all those athletes, coaches and fans.

What I’ll be watching is how far this rolls up the college sports food chain, because the canary is gasping for air.

This sucks.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
The CDC says that everything would have to go perfect to have a Covid19 vaccine in 12-18 months, and that the process has never gone perfectly.

So, the ADs and MAC commish have to be sitting there thinking, we’re facing a few years of no sports wtf do we do.

Non-P5 sports are doomed and my heart goes out to all those athletes, coaches and fans.

What I’ll be watching is how far this rolls up the college sports food chain, because the canary is gasping for air.

This sucks.
https://www.jsonline.com/story/news...e-houston-baylor-college-medicine/3110750001/

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Many of these schools (Northern Iowa included) receive athletic funding from the general fund. Take Northern Iowa...no basketball tournament payout; what happens if Iowa cancels the football game with them (loss of $650,000); how about if student enrollment drops and there is less money to send over to the athletic department from student fees?

Point is, these programs are looking at some hard decisions...the MAC just went first.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
As someone mentioned in CW's article, I just wonder how much of this was already in the works. I wouldn't doubt some of these athletic departments and leagues knew their financial situation was already untenable and are using this as a opportunity to trim things back.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
As someone mentioned in CW's article, I just wonder how much of this was already in the works. I wouldn't doubt some of these athletic departments and leagues knew their financial situation was already untenable and are using this as a opportunity to trim things back.

Instantly broke like pretty much everything else.

Help Support Us

Become a patron