The Burton Factor

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Does anyone else get the feeling that this team will go as Burton goes? And both offensively and defensively. Grant it, Naz, Matt, or Monte could be our leading scorer in various games, but it seems like the production we get from Deonte makes a big difference. Obviously it helps to make shots, but was it my imagination, or was he used with Monte on the pick and roll situations more last night? And he needs to be active for us on defense.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Does anyone else get the feeling that this team will go as Burton goes? And both offensively and defensively. Grant it, Naz, Matt, or Monte could be our leading scorer in various games, but it seems like the production we get from Deonte makes a big difference. Obviously it helps to make shots, but was it my imagination, or was he used with Monte on the pick and roll situations more last night? And he needs to be active for us on defense.

He definitely was used more in the pick and roll (I had been wondering why he hadn't been). It's really hard to tell who is going to be "the guy", as that person might change game by game. That's mostly an advantage as the other team can't focus in on only shutting one guy down, but it becomes tough in late game situations as we don't have one guy that is nearly unstoppable (though Burton can be that at times, as can Monte).

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
With as many guards as we have, you bet! We need Burton to be the man this year. If he get shut down and locked out down low, we have to pray the guards are not having an off night. If they are, any team will be able to stay with us. If Burton is on and the guards are doing well we are a top 15 team, if not top 10.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Do you think posting Burton up more would help too? Maybe he isn't a Kenny Pratt tho. Better from the perimeter in.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Burton was very active on defense last night. He didn't have rebounds but he blocked shots and made several nice steals/saves.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
Do you think posting Burton up more would help too? Maybe he isn't a Kenny Pratt tho. Better from the perimeter in.

He's not a back to the basket player, but he's really nifty with his moves around the hoop, and his strength inside allows him to move around at will. It may not be his best use, but occasionally it might be a good thing with a physical mismatch.

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Burton's stat lines through the first 8 games:

11/1 - Savannah St (W 113-71) 7 PTS 9 REB 2 AST 2 STL 1 BLK 5 TO (19 min)

11/4 - Mt St. Mary’s (W 73-55) 10 PTS 13 REB 1 AST 2 STL 1 BLK 3 TO (27 min)

11/20 - The Citadel (W 130-63) 7 PTS 3 REB 2 AST 2 STL 2 BLK 0 TO (17 min)

11/24 – Indiana St (W 73-71) 10 PTS 7 REB 1 AST 2 STL 0 BLK 3 TO (26 min)

11/25 – Miami (W 73-56) 21 PTS 7 REB 0 AST 1 STL 1 BLK 1 TO (35 min)

11/27 – Gonzaga (L 73-71) 29 PTS 12 REB 0 AST 0 STL 2 BLK 1 TO (36 min)

12/1 – Cincinnati (L 55-54) 9 PTS 8 REB 0 AST 0 STL 0 BLK 0 TO (30 min)

12-5 – Omaha (W 91-47) 20 PTS 2 REB 0 AST 3 STL 3 BLK 1 TO (18 min)

My conclusion, we've been able to beat lesser teams even when Burton hasn't played well, but against stiffer competition we will need him to produce if we want to win.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Burton's stat lines through the first 8 games:

11/1 - Savannah St (W 113-71) 7 PTS 9 REB 2 AST 2 STL 1 BLK 5 TO (19 min)

11/4 - Mt St. Mary’s (W 73-55) 10 PTS 13 REB 1 AST 2 STL 1 BLK 3 TO (27 min)

11/20 - The Citadel (W 130-63) 7 PTS 3 REB 2 AST 2 STL 2 BLK 0 TO (17 min)

11/24 – Indiana St (W 73-71) 10 PTS 7 REB 1 AST 2 STL 0 BLK 3 TO (26 min)

11/25 – Miami (W 73-56) 21 PTS 7 REB 0 AST 1 STL 1 BLK 1 TO (35 min)

11/27 – Gonzaga (L 73-71) 29 PTS 12 REB 0 AST 0 STL 2 BLK 1 TO (36 min)

12/1 – Cincinnati (L 55-54) 9 PTS 8 REB 0 AST 0 STL 0 BLK 0 TO (30 min)

12-5 – Omaha (W 91-47) 20 PTS 2 REB 0 AST 3 STL 3 BLK 1 TO (18 min)

My conclusion, we've been able to beat lesser teams even when Burton hasn't played well, but against stiffer competition we will need him to produce if we want to win.
I'll take that gonzaga stat line most games from here on!

Cynonymous

Aug 14, 2015
I don't think you can make any conclusions about the offense as the Omaha game was the first game we actually used an offensive scheme. As long as Burton plays within the scheme, I think we can be successful. If he's shooting well, cool, but if he's rebounding well then we are in business. He just needs to pick his spots to stretch the defense.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
I don't think his assists stats tell the whole story. He has found the open man on multiple occasions in each game but they too often fail to knock down the shot. He needs to keep it up. It will make the opponents know he will make them pay if they help off of his teammates to stop him.
Yep. He finds the open man regularly. We've just been cold for some of these early games.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Remember that one of the things that Freddy brought from his years is "feed the hot hand", which could be anybody any night. And Prohm stated early on that he agrees with this philosophy. The goal has been keep the ball moving, and moving, until the hot hand is open. Some nights its DB, others it'll be Naz, or Monte, or Matty, etc.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
Remember that one of the things that Freddy brought from his years is "feed the hot hand", which could be anybody any night. And Prohm stated early on that he agrees with this philosophy. The goal has been keep the ball moving, and moving, until the hot hand is open. Some nights its DB, others it'll be Naz, or Monte, or Matty, etc.

Yeah, we have enough weapons that we shouldn't force our way through a defense that is designed to try to take someone away.

• Agree
Reactions: TXCyclones

mikeiastat

Feb 1, 2007
Madison, WI
I think too, the big thing about the whole - as burton goes so does the team thing, is the "hockey 2nd assist."

I'd really like to see his efficiency numbers when we play well vs. when we play poorly. He doesn't quite have assists from the vision that Georges had, but seems when we are playing well, its when he is efficient. He doesn't have to lead the team in scoring to be efficient.

I really feel that he is a key cog and that If he takes the shot and it is a good shot it is noticed by the other team to some extent weather it goes in or not. When its not there, he's finding the open guy who finds the open guy. The hockey assist if you will. When he sets a good example, the ball sticks less all around. So it doesn't show up in the stat line, but it seems key to me. He is the most effective piece that can get a team off balance and into chase mode. When he is keeping it efficient we are doing well.

Burton hitting 3's is just icing and that's masking when he is trusting his teammates and facilitating. He did both well last night. But the team success seems more correlated with his making right decisions not only how he is scoring.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
I think too, the big thing about the whole - as burton goes so does the team thing, is the "hockey 2nd assist."

I'd really like to see his efficiency numbers when we play well vs. when we play poorly. He doesn't quite have assists from the vision that Georges had, but seems when we are playing well, its when he is efficient. He doesn't have to lead the team in scoring to be efficient.

I really feel that he is a key cog and that If he takes the shot and it is a good shot it is noticed by the other team to some extent weather it goes in or not. When its not there, he's finding the open guy who finds the open guy. The hockey assist if you will. When he sets a good example, the ball sticks less all around. So it doesn't show up in the stat line, but it seems key to me. He is the most effective piece that can get a team off balance and into chase mode. When he is keeping it efficient we are doing well.

Burton hitting 3's is just icing and that's masking when he is trusting his teammates and facilitating. He did both well last night. But the team success seems more correlated with his making right decisions not only how he is scoring.

I agree that the extra pass beyond the first kick out is huge. It really puts the defense in full scramble mode.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I like Burton 2.0, but I worry about our season if we go as he goes. I know they're still ironing some kinks out, so I'm not panicking yet.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I don't view it as how Burton goes so does ISU. I do think ISU has enough other talent to win even if Burton isn't fully engaged. Deonte's importance is at the second individual creator of the team. He and Monte are the two players up to this point who can create their own shot when things break down late. Matt, Naz and Holden are far better playing of those two to make the O explosive.
I have seen flashes from Bowie and Weiler-Babb being able to attack and if they can improve their consistency there the team ceiling will rise. Really liked D. Jacksons improvement from game one in particular vs UN-O. He finally looked comfortable shooting and moving with out the ball coming off the injury. If all three figure it out the team will be very good and lessen the current importance of the team needing a "good" Burton game.

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
One thing from last night's game I noticed that we really haven't done all season is make that extra pass. In the first few game we have just been trying to ISO, drive, and kick or shoot. Ball movement last night was phenomenal, and I hope they keep that trend moving forward.