The boring Big XII

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Madclone1

Oct 21, 2007
And who are the dominant teams once again?

Kansas Texas OU in basketball . . HUGE surprises there. Football . . . Texas and OU . . . HUGE surprise there.

ISU Fan interest will be hard to sustain if this nonsense continues into the next decade. Should ISU should consider joining the Missouri Valley? . . the Big Little Ten that would be a perfect conference athletically for ISU but our population base is too small for the Big 10 . . . and the dorks would vote against it anyway.

Last edited:

cycloneryan

May 21, 2006
Des Moines

Kansas Texas OU in basketball . . HUGE surprises there. Football . . . Texas and OU . . . HUGE surprise there.

ISU Fan interest will be hard to sustain if this nonsense continues into the next decade. Should ISU should consider joining the Missouri Valley? . . the Big Little Ten that would be a perfect conference athletically for ISU but our population base is too small for ISU . . . and the dorks would vote against it anyway.

I can't wait to see the responses for this one.

1. I doubt it will be hard for fans to keep interested in ISU sports considering ISU has hardly ever been in the elite of the big 12 or big 8 in basketball or football and we still pack the Jack and Hilton is one of the best places to watch basketball in the country.

2. Do you honestly think that joining a MUCH weaker conference would add excitement? Let's see, would it be more fun to go to hilton and watch Kansas or Indiana State? Tough one.

3. Not really sure what Ames' population has to do with anything when it comes to what conference we are in.

4. Worst thread in a while. Congrats!

Madclone1

Oct 21, 2007
I can't wait to see the responses for this one.

1. I doubt it will be hard for fans to keep interested in ISU sports considering ISU has hardly ever been in the elite of the big 12 or big 8 in basketball or football and we still pack the Jack and Hilton is one of the best places to watch basketball in the country.

2. Do you honestly think that joining a MUCH weaker conference would add excitement? Let's see, would it be more fun to go to hilton and watch Kansas or Indiana State? Tough one.

3. Not really sure what Ames' population has to do with anything when it comes to what conference we are in.

4. Worst thread in a while. Congrats!

RyCy04

Sep 26, 2007
Omaha, NE

ISU Fan interest will be hard to sustain if this nonsense continues into the next decade. Should ISU should consider joining the Missouri Valley? . . the Big Little Ten that would be a perfect conference athletically for ISU but our population base is too small for ISU . . . and the dorks would vote against it anyway.
How long has this crack bender lasted for you?

The top teams are almost always going to be the top teams in each conference anyway. This is not a Big XII phenomenon.

But we have seen some teams rise up. Baylor is emerging in basketball.

Texas Tech, Missouri, Okie State, and Kansas are all rising powers in football.

Reactions: cycloneryan

Madclone1

Oct 21, 2007
To reply:

1. Disagree. Fan interest is already ebbing throughout the NCAA. A few more years of being a basement dweller will do its damage. Baylor in football come to mind?

2. Yes I do. Nothing cures losing like winning. UNI has done fairly well haven't they?

3. T.V. numbers for a geographical area. Pittsburgh, ND, Missouri will draw more numbers than ISU.

4. Feel threatened? I thought this was a forum not a cheer leading society. The question and comment may be irritating (and fodder for Jon's show . . since he likes to twist the knife ever so gently) . . . BUT YOU CANNOT SUSTAIN FAN INTEREST IF ISU CANNOT SUSTAIN WINING IN A BIG MONEY CONFERENCE. Our AD recognizes this and is taking huge risks to turn it around . . so far, not so good. ISU is improving but the rest of the conference is leaving ISU in the smoke.

Madclone1

Oct 21, 2007
How long has this crack bender lasted for you?

The top teams are almost always going to be the top teams in each conference anyway. This is not a Big XII phenomenon.

But we have seen some teams rise up. Baylor is emerging in basketball.

Texas Tech, Missouri, Okie State, and Kansas are all rising powers in football.

I'm glad you are a fan of these other schools but I am talking about ISU here . . . unless you like cheering for Baylor?

RyCy04

Sep 26, 2007
Omaha, NE
I'm glad you are a fan of these other schools but I am talking about ISU here . . . unless you like cheering for Baylor?
Ahh... I see. Moving from the competitive A-league down to the coed rec league. I like your battle plan.

Madclone1

Oct 21, 2007
Ahh... I see. Moving from the competitive A-league down to the coed rec league. I like your battle plan.

LOL . . that rec league has whipped ISU with its A-league status consistently and frequently the last several years.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
This is a funny thread since the b ig 12 is the best football conference in the country.

Gene Chizik...I've been in the SEC and the big 12 is a better conference.

Who would want to pay 350 bucks per season ticket to see games against so illinois indiana state etc...NOT ME!!!:yes:

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
Iowa State has been a bottom dweller of the conference for 80% of the entirety of our existence, and our fan support is just fine (except for the clowns that make outrageous claims like we should move to the Missouri Valley Conference.)

We are fine in the Big 12. We have had periods of success in our history, the trick is sustaining that success. Yes, most of our programs are outclassed by others in this conference with more tradition of success, more alumni, fuller coffers, etc. Yes, a number of fans from other schools do not respect or fear us, and why should they? We need sustained success to earn our keep.

None of us like being the punching bag for the rest of the conference, but we have an opportunity now to take our programs forward. I would much rather see ISU succeed, even sporadically, in the Big 12 than dominate perennially in the MVC.

We will be fine. Relax, stop being outrageous, and support the Cyclones.

Madclone1

Oct 21, 2007
Iowa State has been a bottom dweller of the conference for 80% of the entirety of our existence, and our fan support is just fine (except for the clowns that make outrageous claims like we should move to the Missouri Valley Conference.)

We are fine in the Big 12. We have had periods of success in our history, the trick is sustaining that success. Yes, most of our programs are outclassed by others in this conference with more tradition of success, more alumni, fuller coffers, etc. Yes, a number of fans from other schools do not respect or fear us, and why should they? We need sustained success to earn our keep.

None of us like being the punching bag for the rest of the conference, but we have an opportunity now to take our programs forward. I would much rather see ISU succeed, even sporadically, in the Big 12 than dominate perennially in the MVC.

We will be fine. Relax, stop being outrageous, and support the Cyclones.

Yes . . I have been a "clown" and supporter since 1971 . . the question posed was hypothetical. I've been there through thick and thin. I am perfectly relaxed. You like the several others here need to think outside the box once in a while . . you may come back with a deeper commitment to the program and ISU's future success. I will NOT be intimidated by your name calling or bluster.
For sure, ISU had been start winning in the next couple years or the conference commish will tell us all to take a hike . . whether you like it or not.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
For sure, ISU had been start winning in the next couple years or the conference commish will tell us all to take a hike . . whether you like it or not.

:rolleyes:

Uhh... KSU and ISU have had much, much worse periods in their history and we haven't been kicked out yet. As long as Pollard has a commitment to winning and improving facilities there isn't a chance of it happening.

Regardless if ISU joins the MVC I'll stop supporting ISU athletics. I'll always love this university but to essentially give up on competing against the best would be pathetic and I wouldn't want that representing me.

Madclone1

Oct 21, 2007
:rolleyes:

Uhh... KSU and ISU have had much, much worse periods in their history and we haven't been kicked out yet. As long as Pollard has a commitment to winning and improving facilities there isn't a chance of it happening.

Regardless if ISU joins the MVC I'll stop supporting ISU athletics. I'll always love this university but to essentially give up on competing against the best would be pathetic and I wouldn't want that representing me.

Now see . .that was a decent reply. I see Pollard as a very strong leader who will lead us out of this mess. I hope he stays long enough to see the fruit of his labor (for hawk lurkers . . that means SUCCESS). I would hate to see ISU drop down to the MV . . but if we take care of business that shouldn't happen.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
Yes . . I have been a "clown" and supporter since 1971 . . the question posed was hypothetical. I've been there through thick and thin. I am perfectly relaxed. You like the several others here need to think outside the box once in a while . . you may come back with a deeper commitment to the program and ISU's future success. I will NOT be intimidated by your name calling or bluster.

I am not trying to intimidate you. I just think it is ridiculous to claim that we better switch conferences, else the Big 12 will kick us out for losing too much. Does that really happen? We have had awful, awful stretches, but we were never kicked out of the Big 8. You think if we don't start winning in the next couple years (by 2011, let's say), that the Big 12 will say "So long"? I think that's a little extreme. I suppose the Big 12 doesn't care about our successful programs, like WBB, Wrestling, and volleyball, because football and MBB are struggling, right?

I apologize for name calling, that was not appropriate, but I strongly disagree with your premise.

Madclone1

Oct 21, 2007
I am not trying to intimidate you. I just think it is ridiculous to claim that we better switch conferences, else the Big 12 will kick us out for losing too much. Does that really happen? We have had awful, awful stretches, but we were never kicked out of the Big 8. You think if we don't start winning in the next couple years (by 2011, let's say), that the Big 12 will say "So long"? I think that's a little extreme. I suppose the Big 12 doesn't care about our successful programs, like WBB, Wrestling, and volleyball, because football and MBB are struggling, right?

I apologize for name calling, that was not appropriate, but I strongly disagree with your premise.

Okay . . apology accepted. But we need to be able to talk about these things because . . such things cross the minds of some Cyclone fans. This ought to be a safe forum to discuss these things. Sometimes, by posting a "foil" others can see where our fan base is. I was very sincere in posting what I did not to hack people off but to investigate where we are going with our men's programs. The women are fine.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
Just when I think that there could not possibly be another worst thread ever, somebody on this board manages to prove me wrong.

The only reason I would want to leave the Big XII is so that I could say "I told you so" to idiots that post threads like this when our athletic department shuts down due to lack of interest.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
Changing conferences will not change anything for the better.

1) we will loss a large fan base if we do switch conferences. Do you think that everyone who attends games are diehard Clone fans? Their not. Many people are Big12 fans and they come to see their local Big12 team.

2) being in the same conference with Iowa is the worst idea I've ever heard. We feel like we have to compete with Iowa enough already, could you image having to tangle with them in conference. We would have to compete with Iowa for everything, that is just not healthy.

3) moving down to the MV would be another big mistake. For one, it will send a clear message that ISU can't keep up with the big boys and it would kill the little recruiting we have. It would also hurt with getting coaches. McDermott left a MV team and his home school to coach in the Big12. Chizik would have never taken the job at ISU if we were in the MV and do you think those coaches would stick around if we switched? Trust me, if ISU moves down to the MV it would not be very long before those team are regularly beating us and then where will we move down to?

Last edited:

Madclone1

Oct 21, 2007
Just when I think that there could not possibly be another worst thread ever, somebody on this board manages to prove me wrong.

The only reason I would want to leave the Big XII is so that I could say "I told you so" to idiots that post threads like this when our athletic department shuts down due to lack of interest.

I guess the mods allow personal attacks by the non reading public . . obviously you didn't read the earlier comments . . I'll take that a gross immaturity.

Madclone1

Oct 21, 2007
Changing conferences will not change anything for the better.

1) we will loss a large fan base if we do switch conferences. Do you think that everyone who attends games are diehard Clone fans? Their not. Many people are Big12 fans and they come to see their local Big12 team.

2) being in the same conference with Iowa is the worst idea I've ever heard. We feel like we have to compete with Iowa enough already, could you image having to tangle with them in conference. We would have to compete with Iowa for everything, that is just not healthy.

3) moving down to the MV would be another big mistake. For one, it will send a clear message that ISU can't keep up with the big boys and it would kill the little recruiting we have. It would also hurt with getting coaches. McDermott left a MV team and his home school to coach in the Big12. Chizik would have never taken the job at ISU if we were in the MV and do you think those coaches would stick around if we switched? Trust me, if ISU moves down to the MV it would not be very long before those team are regularly beating us and then where will we move down to?

Good discussion points I hadn't thought of . . thanks.

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
. . BUT YOU CANNOT SUSTAIN FAN INTEREST IF ISU CANNOT SUSTAIN WINING IN A BIG MONEY CONFERENCE. Our AD recognizes this and is taking huge risks to turn it around . . so far, not so good. ISU is improving but the rest of the conference is leaving ISU in the smoke.

OK, what do you think ISU has been doing for the last 30 years? Yes, sustaining fan interest with a usually subpar product. ISU fans are a loyal bunch. Yeah, if there were more success, we'd have more fans, but I'd say we've done an admirable job so far. You move down to CUSA or whatever and half those fans disappear.