The battle between Iowa high schools and state.

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Should high school sports happen if school is 100% virtual?

• Yes

Votes: 52 36.1%
  • No

Votes: 83 57.6%
  • No opinion

Votes: 9 6.3%

• Total voters

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018

So if the % goes below 5% they will go in person, and if it goes above 10% it’ll be full virtual again? Am I reading that correct?

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale

So if the % goes below 5% they will go in person, and if it goes above 10% it’ll be full virtual again? Am I reading that correct?

Who the heck knows. All I know is I’d be incredibly embarrassed if I lived in Des Moines. This has gone well beyond doing what’s best for the kids. Hopefully this will be early enough for them to play sports before the playoffs start.

I know we just didn’t reschedule our game against a Des Moines school tomorrow. I feel really bad for those kids.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Who the heck knows. All I know is I’d be incredibly embarrassed if I lived in Des Moines. This has gone well beyond doing what’s best for the kids. Hopefully this will be early enough for them to play sports before the playoffs start.

I know we just didn’t reschedule our game against a Des Moines school tomorrow. I feel really bad for those kids.

SPORTS! I’m no scientist but I do listen to them. I think what’s best for the kids is to not contract, spread, or even get sick and die from COVID. BuTT mEh JoOnIOr yEAr I wAS goINg 2B a CAptIn.

volclone

Apr 11, 2006
SPORTS! I’m no scientist but I do listen to them. I think what’s best for the kids is to not contract, spread, or even get sick and die from COVID. BuTT mEh JoOnIOr yEAr I wAS goINg 2B a CAptIn.
Amen! I learned a long time ago to listen/pay attention to smart people--folks who generally have an advanced degree to their credit. I also learned to ignore conspiracy theories and pseudo science. It's not only what's best for the kids--it's what's best for the community.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Amen! I learned a long time ago to listen/pay attention to smart people--folks who generally have an advanced degree to their credit. I also learned to ignore conspiracy theories and pseudo science. It's not only what's best for the kids--it's what's best for the community.

And DSM is a big diverse community that no one outside of it in the state can relate to other than maybe Council Bluffs people being a direct suburb of Omaha. Keep local control! Don’t bow down to the farm and christo-politics that dominate the state outside of a few specific areas!

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Sounds like Ankeny's Superintendent is suggesting a return to full time from hybrid on 10/19. Will be voted on at tonight's school board meeting.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny back K-5 full time starting 10/19.

scottwv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 18, 2011
Melrose Iowa

It sometimes seems like people are only listening to the Infections disease experts and not listening to the mental health experts (also with advanced degrees). I worry that when all the fallout from this is over - Mental health issues are going to cause more harm to the school age children than the virus.

Last edited:

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

If people are advocating for no sports and also advocating for 100% online school, I can understand that position. If people are advocating for getting kids into school buildings but advocating against sports, I think you're crazy. There are kids that due to home life, etc. benefit a lot from in-person, but for the vast majority of kids we're talking about a marginal difference in academics. And I hate to break it to you, but if your kid is 16 or 17 and can't get anything out of remote learning, they either 1) probably aren't getting anything out of in-person learning and/or 2) they have some serious **** to figure out before they either go to college or join the workforce.

Personally I think sports teach kids a lot more valuable skills they need to deal with life as an independent person than whatever marginal academic benefit comes from in-person school vs. online.

I'm fine either way with sports. But if you think sports should be cancelled but also think it's critical that we get HS students back in the buildings, you have a ridiculously optimistic view of the level of academic preparation that happens in our high schools. And with all of the precautions the social aspect of schools is all but eliminated.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It sometimes seems like people are only listening to the Infections disease experts and not listening to the mental health experts (also with advanced degrees). I worry that when all the fallout from this is over - Mental health issues are going to cause more harm to the school age children than the virus.

From the looks and sounds of it many school aged children are spending plenty of time with friends to get their social fix if that's the thing that's affecting mental health.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Not one district in the state is following those guidelines because they are not practical. Many districts require masks on the bus instead of physical distancing.

DMPS's original plan was 40% in person education. All they needed to do was go to 50% and they complied . . .
So you want them to start following the rules...by ignoring the rules? Ok.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Could be worse. Illinois still has high school sports on lockdown. Just saw a segment on Quad City News that 39 teams from Western and Central Illinois are forming their own 9 week league and will play in a rec center in Bettendorf. They are coming from QC, Rockford, Peoria and everywhere in between. These are NOT sanctioned teams nor games and although the teams are the actual teams from each high school, no high school coaches are allowed, so I guess it is like an AAU or rec league with nothing at stake, but it will at least allow the kids to play.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
From the looks and sounds of it many school aged children are spending plenty of time with friends to get their social fix if that's the thing that's affecting mental health.

Socialization certainly not a problem here but our schools didn’t appear to close even when we hit 33%. One of the elementary principals posted a video about a new mask requirement from his home since he has Covid.

One of the high school “honor” students knocked on my door asking if she could borrow my dog for an art project. She mentioned her best friend has Covid and gave it to friend’s father, who has cancer. She said she and friend do homework together every day so she also asked if one of my college boys could help her with trig homework virtually. I asked her if she had gotten tested since spent time with friend every day. Of course she hasn’t, said she feels fine!:rolleyes:

So then I am wondering if she can give my dog Covid but have an out since dog has been to vet and needs medication every two hours. Did they ever decide if that is a thing? She just needs photos really to work on a painting, so told her I would send those and video if it would help.

Kept the storm door closed for the whole conversation, but after all this time, people are still this dense. She merrily left our house to go over to neighbors’ house to hang with another friend.

Asymptomatic kids spreading this around is probably a bigger factor than the one dive bar we have in town. If we are going to keep all the schools open, could we do more testing and make the kids less stupid?

ISUTex

May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Iowa schools are open and sports are being played at all levels. Illinois is shut down. Why haven't Iowans all keeled over and died? Why hasn't Covid stopped spreading in Illinois? You would think we would have lost at least a half of a percent of our youth to this deadly plague. Weird.

Reactions: BurgundyClone

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
So then I am wondering if she can give my dog Covid but have an out since dog has been to vet and needs medication every two hours. Did they ever decide if that is a thing? She just needs photos really to work on a painting, so told her I would send those and video if it would help.

I assume it is a thing, only because when the state called to contact trace after our daughter tested positive one of the questions was if she had been in contact with any animals that had tested positive.. unfortunately we don't ask every animal we come in contact with, so had to answer unsure for that one.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I assume it is a thing, only because when the state called to contact trace after our daughter tested positive one of the questions was if she had been in contact with any animals that had tested positive.. unfortunately we don't ask every animal we come in contact with, so had to answer unsure for that one.

Thanks! I saw a lot of discussion about this early on, but not much lately. Old boy has osteoarthritis and a scratched cornea, he doesn’t need Covid too.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Socialization certainly not a problem here but our schools didn’t appear to close even when we hit 33%. One of the elementary principals posted a video about a new mask requirement from his home since he has Covid.

One of the high school “honor” students knocked on my door asking if she could borrow my dog for an art project. She mentioned her best friend has Covid and gave it to friend’s father, who has cancer. She said she and friend do homework together every day so she also asked if one of my college boys could help her with trig homework virtually. I asked her if she had gotten tested since spent time with friend every day. Of course she hasn’t, said she feels fine!:rolleyes:

Kept the storm door closed for the whole conversation, but after all this time, people are still this dense. She merrily left our house to go over to neighbors’ house to hang with another friend.

Asymptomatic kids spreading this around is probably a bigger factor than the one dive bar we have in town. If we are going to keep all the schools open, could we do more testing and make the kids less stupid?

Pretty sure there's been reports of pets getting it. Good on you for taking precautions...I'd wonder if people would get the concept if you just said 'you might have Covid, so no, you can't' although that may get the 'well then hide in your basement!' treatment (still).

In Madison the lakes are awfully polluted and folks' dogs have died after swimming yet, I've still seen plenty of people having their dog drink out of it.

The 'I feel fine so what's the problem?' thing seems to be very prevalent and is why I'm waiting for both of us to be vaccinated before I visit family again.

Our general habits of not being able to figure it out in all sorts of areas of life have proven to shine over the past year.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Before you make the kids less stupid, you deal with their parents whenever it pertains to things. Stupid kids generally come from stupid parents. I tell my kids that two D students aren’t going to produce a 4.0 kid.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Pretty sure there's been reports of pets getting it. Good on you for taking precautions...I'd wonder if people would get the concept if you just said 'you might have Covid, so no, you can't' although that may get the 'well then hide in your basement!' treatment (still).

In Madison the lakes are awfully polluted and folks' dogs have died after swimming yet, I've still seen plenty of people having their dog drink out of it.

The 'I feel fine so what's the problem?' thing seems to be very prevalent and is why I'm waiting for both of us to be vaccinated before I visit family again.

Our general habits of not being able to figure it out in all sorts of areas of life have proven to shine over the past year.

I contemplated telling her to get tested but her dad is the cross country coach and bragged to a friend of mine, who is the coach in a neighboring town, that he had no trouble fielding a team because our school does no contact tracing. Just thought I would be wasting my time. Also just got her number to give my son rather than giving her his number, but he will probably help her.

I think she keeps stopping because she thinks she is helping an old lady, as opposed to annoying the crap out of me.