The battle between Iowa high schools and state.

Should high school sports happen if school is 100% virtual?

• Yes

Votes: 52 36.1%
  • No

Votes: 83 57.6%
  • No opinion

Votes: 9 6.3%

• Total voters

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Several of the teams yesterday in NC iowa practiced inside due to the rain. Also, VB is an inside sport, not sure why only the football team is being mentioned and nobody wants to address the VB team, CC teams, the pep bands, marching bands, choirs, and other extra curricular activities that happen.

The VB highlights I've seen they've all been masking up. Is that what all schools are doing?

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
The VB highlights I've seen they've all been masking up. Is that what all schools are doing?
There are both situations in Quad-Cities. Most teams don't wear them on the court but I saw Davenport Assumption highlights and the entire team wore them on the floor too.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
We haven't had a team that wore them while they played. A couple wore them on the bench but would remove them when they went in.

I will note that we are in the 5-6% 14 day areas, so we are not in the higher number regions. Many of those positives also came form a couple nursing homes that popped and drove them up to those rates. Were in the 3-4% ranges.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
The fans do not wear masks here either. Our school does no contact tracing so they don’t have to worry about losing the sports teams to quarantine. At least that’s what a coach told an opposing coach.:rolleyes:

Reactions: Angie

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
We haven't had a team that wore them while they played. A couple wore them on the bench but would remove them when they went in.
I noticed at my granddaughter's match, when a player would rotate out, she'd touch hands with each player on the bench, then sanitize her hands. :rolleyes:

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
The concept, for this discussion, is the same. It's a matter of in-person (at school) learning vs. remote (home school or online) learning, dependent on how the school district has approached this school year (mandated at-school, mandated remote, or a parental option).

That is the driver behind whether or not extracurricular activities are being held (or are even allowed to be held) in any given district.
The issue at hand is that many disadvantaged students aren't well served by online-only programs. That creates an imperative for schools to be open for face-to-face instruction (along with lunch programs and other services). If Covid prevents the school from performing its core mission, then it should be considered too big a threat to allow extra-curriculars as well. If every student could thrive through at-home instruction alone, then what are schools for?

Reactions: flycy

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
The concept, for this discussion, is the same. It's a matter of in-person (at school) learning vs. remote (home school or online) learning, dependent on how the school district has approached this school year (mandated at-school, mandated remote, or a parental option).

That is the driver behind whether or not extracurricular activities are being held (or are even allowed to be held) in any given district.

There is a difference. Home schooling is a parent decision. School Districts are making the decision to go 100% online, 50/50 hybrid or 100% in school. What is driving the school districts decision? The level of Covid outbreak in the community AND/OR the districts ability to keep kids safe in schools.

In the case of Ames the districts decision is based on the spike of Covid in the community. In the case of Des Moines school district, it might be more of the later (keeping kids safe). But regardless of the reason, school board leaders have decided to go 100% online to because of the perceived high risk for community spread in their school district.

So if there is a high risk of community spread in DM or Ames, why would a school district want to expose students from another school district to their Community Spread issues. Whether it is sports, show choir, debate, etc.

IMO it is different if a family chooses the 100% online choice vs. the district. In those cases the family is making a decision to go online because of specific family circumstances. Maybe a grandparent lives with them or a family member has a pre-existing condition that makes them at risk for Covid. It is then that families decision to not allow their children to play sports or other activity participation to protect family members.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
Watched some of the board meeting tonight. There’s absolutely no way we get any type of vote or answer in the next month from DMPS. The superintendent seems content in dragging this into winter break.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Watched some of the board meeting tonight. There’s absolutely no way we get any type of vote or answer in the next month from DMPS. The superintendent seems content in dragging this into winter break.

Lol, of course they would. Good luck at the next election, whoever they may be.

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
Unless i’m missing something DMPS has no real intention of going hybrid. According to DMR community spread must be less than 1 case per 100,0000 population on 7 day rolling average before that happens. That number is currently 19.

Reactions: ClonesTwenty1

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
Unless i’m missing something DMPS has no real intention of going hybrid. According to DMR community spread must be less than 1 case per 100,0000 population on 7 day rolling average before that happens. That number is currently 19.
DMPS is sticking to their 5% positivity rate as well. So I honestly never see this thing actually getting “implemented”.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
DMPS is sticking to their 5% positivity rate as well. So I honestly never see this thing actually getting “implemented”.
Their rate is like 7 something percent so they're not far off, I don't know what their trend is though.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
They are going to drag their feet and fight with the stat,e in the end some type of exception will be made, the hours/days will count and the kids will advance to the next grade/graduate.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron