The battle between Iowa high schools and state.

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Should high school sports happen if school is 100% virtual?

• Yes

Votes: 52 36.1%
  • No

Votes: 83 57.6%
  • No opinion

Votes: 9 6.3%

• Total voters

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018

This is going to get pretty interesting. IHSAA Basically forcing the schools hand now. If 100% virtual then no sports.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Seems obvious to me that if the situation warrants 100% online school then you wouldn’t have in person sports or extracurricular activities.

I voted 'no' in the poll.

I do think DMPS has an argument with how their kids and community benefit from sports & extracurriculars. I don't envy them as they navigate this.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I voted 'no' in the poll.

I do think DMPS has an argument with how their kids and community benefit from sports & extracurriculars. I don't envy them as they navigate this.
I agree totally, but if it’s not safe to have in person class how is it safe to have in person extracurricular?

Last edited:

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I agree totally, but if it’s not safe to have in person class how is it safe to have i person extracurricular?

I don't think it is. Just saying I also understand their concern about the kids that will lose that. Not the fault of the school or kids.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
I personally think any extra-curriculars while school is anything but full time in-person is ridiculous. Complete logic fail. The virus either matters or it doesn’t.

Pick one, and I don’t even care which, at this point. The inconsistent waffling pisses me off more.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
Same with Waukee and others. I would like to know what the parents of the athletes think. Or what the student athlete is thinking right now. No football for these guys would screw with some schedules.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
It’s so easy to argue either side of the issue.

How? Explain how the virus spread in a classroom but not a football field.

I'm not saying sports aren’t important for kids, but so is school. And if it’s dangerous to do one, it’s dangerous to do any.....you’d think.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
It’s so easy to argue either side of the issue.

Not really.

If it's not safe for kids to be in school, it's hardly safe for them to be out in full contact with other kids playing football.

Sports has been more important than education at the high school level for a long time now, but it would be blatantly obvious how much more important it is if they allowed football, but no in person classes.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I assume everyone feels the same way about college sports if college classes went 100% virtual.

I'm torn on that a little.

If college football players are able to live in some kind of "bubble" away from the general student population, it could possibly be done.

High school students cannot live in any kind of bubble, and they go back home to their parents house every night and could transmit the virus that way.

• Agree
Reactions: Cloneon

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I assume everyone feels the same way about college sports if college classes went 100% virtual.

That's where I'd imagine the other side of the argument comes into play.

Schools going to online might actually help college football in that it leads to less interactions (potentially) and keeps a 'bubble' for the teams.

Same with high school sports. Less chance for being around other kids, stay in a form of 'bubble' to just play their sport, the same way baseball and softball did in the summer.

Reactions: riceville98

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Does anyone know if the IGHSAU, IHSAA, and DOE are working remotely, or actually working in their offices? I would find it rather ironic if these groups were all working remotely to control the spread, yet are telling schools that you cannot participate in sports if you going virtual to do the same thing as we are doing.

Now, if all the offices are open, and working to full capacity, then I'm good with their decision.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Does anyone know if the IGHSAU, IHSAA, and DOE are working remotely, or actually working in their offices? I would find it rather ironic if these groups were all working remotely to control the spread, yet are telling schools that you cannot participate in sports if you going virtual to do the same thing as we are doing.

That's been the deal the whole time. And yeah, it's a little curious.

Reactions: riceville98

ISUTex

May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
That's where I'd imagine the other side of the argument comes into play.

Schools going to online might actually help college football in that it leads to less interactions (potentially) and keeps a 'bubble' for the teams.

Same with high school sports. Less chance for being around other kids, stay in a form of 'bubble' to just play their sport, the same way baseball and softball did in the summer.

High school baseball and softball players didn't stay in bubbles. They went wherever they wanted. A lot of them probably worked some hours in Hyvees all over Iowa.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
High school baseball and softball players didn't stay in bubbles. They went wherever they wanted. A lot of them probably worked some hours in Hyvees all over Iowa.

Yeah I know.

Hence 'bubble'.

It would still generally be less interactions than regular school days.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
It is consistent with their past policy concerning weather, etc. If no school due to weather or other circumstances, no extra-curricular allowed that day.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I voted yes. I don’t think high school sports should necessarily happen if the schools are 100% online but I don’t think 100% online necessarily means they can’t. I think the two questions are unrelated enough. Schools include everyone and are required. They also require people inside for long periods of time. Sports are generally outside and voluntary. At least the ones we are talking about. I think these are more case by case discussions.