The Athletic article ($) - Steve Prohm has plenty of reasons to believe we’ll see the good Iowa St

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I like O'Neil as a writer, but this article felt mailed in. To be fair, it would be tough to make these types of articles interesting to diehard fans. She's a Villanova fan, so the blue blood types like to tell us we should just be happy with mediocrity. It projected a rosier outlook than warranted. I'll be excited if we get a season, but I'll be surprised if we get close to the tourney.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Hilton Magic has roots in the players flying around with their hair on fire in more of a David/Goliath role but still good enough to pull it off.

There were lulls in it back in its 'hey day' where other ISU teams simply weren't very good.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
heres a snipit

The ceiling
Harris and Hinson receive their waivers, the team connects instantaneously and Iowa State rights itself to challenge Kansas and Baylor in the Big 12, before rolling to another Sweet 16 season. That’s a wildly successful turnaround after the 12-20 disaster, but it’s not out of the question. Despite their issues last season, the Cyclones retained their Hilton Magic, finishing 11-6 at home. A good team makes that place impossible to visit.

The floor
Harris and Hinson aren’t cleared, and no one becomes the go-to scorer/de facto leader to replace Haliburton, and the Cyclones break their good/bad cycle and go back-to-back bad. With everything going on in the world these days, it would seem like a good time to get NCAA dispensation, but predicting waiver decisions is a dangerous game.

There is zero reason to believe that the bolded will happen. I would argue there is much more reason to believe that it will NOT happen.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
Hilton Magic has roots in the players flying around with their hair on fire in more of a David/Goliath role but still good enough to pull it off.

There were lulls in it back in its 'hey day' where other ISU teams simply weren't very good.

In my lifetime McDermott killed it, Fred brought it back, and Prohm brutally executed it

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I think Hinson could end up being the most vocal player out there. Harris not too far behind him. Obviously that's if both guys get their waivers.

Hinson's waiver is a slam dunk. No way the NCAA touches the flag debate.
Don't know what Harris' waiver is based on. I think his chances are less than 50/50. But CSP has had good success with these, so hopefully Harris is on the court this season.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Hinson's waiver is a slam dunk. No way the NCAA touches the flag debate.
Don't know what Harris' waiver is based on. I think his chances are less than 50/50. But CSP has had good success with these, so hopefully Harris is on the court this season.

thinking hes playing the run off waiver. Goodman commented on that the other day

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
In my lifetime McDermott killed it, Fred brought it back, and Prohm brutally executed it

And prior to that, Johnny had really bad years, as did Floyd and Eustachy. There's an ebb and flow to it...basically revolves around how good the team is.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
thinking hes playing the run off waiver. Goodman commented on that the other day

I think he might have a shot at that considering they recruited 3 other CG in the 2019 class and got Landers Nolley from VT this past transfer season.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I think he might have a shot at that considering they recruited 3 other CG in the 2019 class and got Landers Nolley from VT this past transfer season.

Nolley also committed only a day or 2 after Harris announced his transfer thus opening LN's scholarship. Connecting the dots...

Reactions: Messi

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids

i would imagine a major crux in the waiver approval comes from some sort of confirmation from Memphis. in my above tweet, im sure Miss St supported the waiver, what do they care losing a 1.2 ppg player to USF. I guess Memphis shouldnt really care about ISU either but getting a coach to admit to pushing a player out the door could be tricky.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Nolley also committed only a day or 2 after Harris announced his transfer thus opening LN's scholarship. Connecting the dots...
Yeah I'm not going to be too shocked if Harris gets his waiver.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
i would imagine a major crux in the waiver approval comes from some sort of confirmation from Memphis. in my above tweet, im sure Miss St supported the waiver, what do they care losing a 1.2 ppg player to USF. I guess Memphis shouldnt really care about ISU either but getting a coach to admit to pushing a player out the door could be tricky.
Yeah hopefully Penny complies. As someone above just mentioned, Nolley committed two days after Harris transferred. Something was certainly in the works.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Yeah hopefully Penny complies. As someone above just mentioned, Nolley committed two days after Harris transferred. Something was certainly in the works.

Penny doesn't have a good track record of complying with NCAA. But, maybe that works in our favor

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Penny doesn't have a good track record of complying with NCAA. But, maybe that works in our favor
He doesn't really have to do anything with the NCAA, he just has to admit he asked Tyler to leave.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
And prior to that, Johnny had really bad years, as did Floyd and Eustachy. There's an ebb and flow to it...basically revolves around how good the team is.

Hilton Magic was the ability to beat teams we shouldn't have at home. I remember when we had "little" Ronnie Harris guarding Wayman Tisdale from Oklahoma, or Danny Manning never winning a game in Hilton Coliseum, or knocking off Norm Stewart and his highly ranked Missouri squad led by Steve Smith. The amazing thing about Johnny was that his teams couldn't win on the road. Floyd and then Eustachy invoked a style of defense and rebounding that led to more successful road records.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
He doesn't really have to do anything with the NCAA, he just has to admit he asked Tyler to leave.

Hopefully Tyler was smart enough to document it.

Even just an email to himself after "that" meeting contemporaneously -- "Coach Hardaway asked me to leave Memphis today" -- might help.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez

That dunk Hogue had against Oklahoma during the 20 point run, Musburger exclaiming, 'Mercy!' as Hogue tomahawk dunks off a steal and the crowd melts down. Never forget that. There's so many of those moments.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I love the representation from a national pay site like the Athletic. I've been a subscriber for a couple years and would have liked to see more coverage of the Cyclones. Sites like Fanatic I guess are probably why there is no 'beat writer' for ISU at the Athletic. At any rate, if they'd had stories like this more frequently and Covid not have happened, I'd probably keep subscribing. Decent site with talented writers