The Athletic article ($) - Steve Prohm has plenty of reasons to believe we’ll see the good Iowa St

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Anyone with a subscription care to elaborate?

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
This season the goal should be just get to the tournament. Doesn’t matter if it’s a play in game, just get there. Next year we can start to build off our core group of freshman.

JimDogRock

Feb 21, 2010
Cedar Falls
There are lots of reasons to believe the team will be better than last year.
Obviously we lost a stud and haven't for sure filled that PG spot since Harris' eligibility is in question and Jackson is still pretty young, but I think the overall talent and experience of the team will be much improved.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

good analysis. some weird quotes/lines

I don't have subscription, so I can't read article, but just seeing that quote is at least encouraging and one sign of hope for the upcoming season. Only time will tell if its true.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Anyone with a subscription care to elaborate?

heres a snipit

The ceiling
Harris and Hinson receive their waivers, the team connects instantaneously and Iowa State rights itself to challenge Kansas and Baylor in the Big 12, before rolling to another Sweet 16 season. That’s a wildly successful turnaround after the 12-20 disaster, but it’s not out of the question. Despite their issues last season, the Cyclones retained their Hilton Magic, finishing 11-6 at home. A good team makes that place impossible to visit.

The floor
Harris and Hinson aren’t cleared, and no one becomes the go-to scorer/de facto leader to replace Haliburton, and the Cyclones break their good/bad cycle and go back-to-back bad. With everything going on in the world these days, it would seem like a good time to get NCAA dispensation, but predicting waiver decisions is a dangerous game.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
heres a snipit

The ceiling
Harris and Hinson receive their waivers, the team connects instantaneously and Iowa State rights itself to challenge Kansas and Baylor in the Big 12, before rolling to another Sweet 16 season. That’s a wildly successful turnaround after the 12-20 disaster, but it’s not out of the question. Despite their issues last season, the Cyclones retained their Hilton Magic, finishing 11-6 at home. A good team makes that place impossible to visit.

The floor
Harris and Hinson aren’t cleared, and no one becomes the go-to scorer/de facto leader to replace Haliburton, and the Cyclones break their good/bad cycle and go back-to-back bad. With everything going on in the world these days, it would seem like a good time to get NCAA dispensation, but predicting waiver decisions is a dangerous game.
Well that ceiling was fun to read lol

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Given NCAA history I hope they are cleared for 21/22 season after this season is cancelled.
I believe the no sit out rule for transfers is going to be in effect next year? So there's no reason they would not be cleared. The NCAA will have a field day with trying to determine eligibility though. They'd essentially have to grant waivers to every single student athlete no? And then how would that work with incoming recruits?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I believe the no sit out rule for transfers is going to be in effect next year? So there's no reason they would not be cleared. The NCAA will have a field day with trying to determine eligibility though. They'd essentially have to grant waivers to every single student athlete no? And then how would that work with incoming recruits?

I'm kind of serious that they might not count this season as sitting out if it's cancelled, blueblood programs exempt obviously.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I'm kind of serious that they might not count this season as sitting out if it's cancelled, blueblood programs exempt obviously.
I would love to think that the NCAA would do the right thing in this scenario but doing the right thing goes against their credo.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
heres a snipit

The ceiling

The floor

To their point on "the floor", the silver lining of Tyrese getting injured is that Rasir stepped into that go-to scorer role. So I think that is established. We just need a better group around him. The de facto leader doesn't seem settled yet though.

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
"Despite their issues last season, the Cyclones retained their Hilton Magic, finishing 11-6 at home."

I'm excited for the coming season, but that quote is way off base. Hilton was not special or intimidating in any way last season, which only amplified the disappointment.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
To their point on "the floor", the silver lining of Tyrese getting injured is that Rasir stepped into that go-to scorer role. So I think that is established. We just need a better group around him. The de facto leader doesn't seem settled yet though.
I think Hinson could end up being the most vocal player out there. Harris not too far behind him. Obviously that's if both guys get their waivers.