The 10 biggest Steals in the 2019 Draft

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

IaState2021

Apr 19, 2019
I thought DM would have gone in the 3rd or 4th round, I wouldn't really consider it a steal. Cardinals drafting Butler in the 4th round is a huge steal.

Greedy Williams mid 2nd round was a big steal for the Browns. Apparently he fell that far because he "doesn't like to tackle".

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
I think there's a decent chance DM has the possibility to outperform the two RBs taken ahead of him, which would be in the "value" or "steal" conversation.

Thought it was interesting this morning reading Peter King's "Football Morning in America." Obviously Alabama took the RB by committee approach, but I thought these talking points were very interesting for a 1st round draft pick.

• Jacobs played 40 games at Alabama. He ran for 100 yards against Kentucky in his fourth college outing, and then, in his final 36 games, never ran for 100 yards in a game.

• His highest 10 rushing games as a collegian, in yards gained: 100, 98, 97, 97, 89, 83, 68, 57, 52, 51.

• His biggest workloads as a collegian, in numbers of rushes in a game: 20, 16, 15, 12, 11, 11, 10, 9, 9, 8.

• In one of 40 college games, including receptions, Jacobs touched the ball 20 times.

Could also take the side of the argument that he has a lot of tread left on his tires by not being overworked in college. Just found it surprising that the production level was so pedestrian.

• Informative
Reactions: t-noah

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I think there's a decent chance DM has the possibility to outperform the two RBs taken ahead of him, which would be in the "value" or "steal" conversation.

Thought it was interesting this morning reading Peter King's "Football Morning in America." Obviously Alabama took the RB by committee approach, but I thought these talking points were very interesting for a 1st round draft pick.

• Jacobs played 40 games at Alabama. He ran for 100 yards against Kentucky in his fourth college outing, and then, in his final 36 games, never ran for 100 yards in a game.

• His highest 10 rushing games as a collegian, in yards gained: 100, 98, 97, 97, 89, 83, 68, 57, 52, 51.

• His biggest workloads as a collegian, in numbers of rushes in a game: 20, 16, 15, 12, 11, 11, 10, 9, 9, 8.

• In one of 40 college games, including receptions, Jacobs touched the ball 20 times.

Could also take the side of the argument that he has a lot of tread left on his tires by not being overworked in college. Just found it surprising that the production level was so pedestrian.
Montgomery has only been a RB for 3 years so he should have plenty of tread left on the tires as well.

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
Montgomery has only been a RB for 3 years so he should have plenty of tread left on the tires as well.

No doubt, I don't believe he is worn down at this point. Just pointing out the opposite viewpoint to the lack of resume for Jacobs (less than half as many touches as DM over the past 3 years at a position that has a pretty limited shelf life).

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
No doubt, I don't believe he is worn down at this point. Just pointing out the opposite viewpoint to the lack of resume for Jacobs (less than half as many touches as DM over the past 3 years at a position that has a pretty limited shelf life).
I get you.

I was just saying that was a good thing for a physical back like Montgomery as well. In addition, the lack of years in the position is something of an upside similar to the NBA drafting on potential. DM could be even better when he has benefited from a couple more years of coaching at the pro level.

Reactions: STATE12

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Love this line:

"When you think of what a Chicago Bears running back should look and play like, Montgomery is the image that should pop into your head."

In other words, he reminds us of Walter Payton.

Last edited:

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Gotta go with Miami getting Rosen. Didn't really cost them anything and nothing against the cap. Could turn out to be a franchise QB. If not and they lose a lot of games, they could turn around next year and draft one. ESPN really thought is was a great move without costing anything and with nothing against their cap.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

CycloneRulzzz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
This afternoon on one of espn's afternoon shows they had one of the guys take his top offensive players in this draft and make a starting lineup. DM was one of the 2 rb's in this guy's offensive starters lineup.

• Informative
Reactions: t-noah and Aclone

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Love this line:

"When you think of what a Chicago Bears running back should look and play like, Montgomery is the image that should pop into your head."

In other words, he reminds us Walter Payton.
I like the way you skip to conclusion! WP, pretty good company!

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

Love the information here and the take!