That 4th down call should be the nail for Manning

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
Perhaps, but the 1 year Manning was in the pros, the offense underperformed. It seems the problem is bigger than Manning. I’m not a Manning defender but I think we want to play physical but, other than when we had 3 great TEs, we don’t have the players.
If you call 2018 and underperforming offense then I’m not sure what you’d call this year’s. I wanted an OC hired too, but it was evident as soon as he came back that he wasn’t the answer.

The other thing is, if you don’t have the players to fit your scheme maybe change your scheme

• Winner
Reactions: CoKane

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
I don’t understand why we spiked the ball on that last series. If you are in position to snap the ball you run a play. The defense is on its heels and that’s your best chance to make a play. But that requires an offense that is decisive and has drilled that situation.

Also, the 2 false starts on that last drive speak to the sloppiness of this offense under Campbell and Manning. It is not a well coached unit and does not have a winning culture, further evidenced by Noel’s drop. Campbell has developed a strong team culture overall but they don’t look like they expect to succeed on offense.

• Agree
Reactions: agentbear and HFCS

LAClone

Apr 26, 2010
I’m just going to start saying it so we can normalize the conversation.

Manning has been a glaring problem for years. But he’s not the only problem. The lack of a ST coach, poor clock management, bad play calling, and accepting less than mediocrity from your best bud to the detriment of your players who are putting everything in the line—and the fans—is a CMC problem.

It’s time to seriously consider replacing CMC. Every time Manning appears on the sideline it is a slap in the face to every exceptional player and other coach on this team. If Manning is gone this week or maybe even after this season, maybe I’ll change my tune. But I’m starting to accept that it’s not going to happen, and it’s time to consider the nuclear option.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
If your o-line is bad you can't run a 4th and a foot with the ball starting out 6 yds behind the line of scrimmage. That's garbage coaching.
Wait.......that happened again???? JFC this coaching staff just never learns. It was either the last game or the Okahoma game where they finally decided to run a sneak on 4 and inches and it actually worked!!!

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
That’s why you roll out the qb. Did that a lot last week and only twice this week with success and never seen it again. Just like many other things that are successful and then all of the sudden they disappear.
they also went under center last week and it worked. And for some God forsaken reason they went back to shotgun this week in short yardage. That is beyond belief. Is this staff that arrogant and stubborn?

Inthesystem

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 12, 2009
Definition of losing in the margins - dominated on the field EXCEPT 5 turnovers And dropped passes.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
This play should be removed from our game books, let alone make it into one of our game plans, with this team this year. It's like the premier KSU play & if they run it, then doggone it we can & will run it, too. However, Snyder perfected it, Kleiman has continued to produce quality OL & Colin Klein, who may have run it about as well as anyone did at KSU, if in charge of the offense there. Even saying all of this, would even KSU have run a QB-based run from the shotgun in this situation? Think we all know the answer to that, well, except our coaching staff. Maybe they should ask Heacock for his opinion. I'd love to hear his input.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Wait.......that happened again???? JFC this coaching staff just never learns. It was either the last game or the Okahoma game where they finally decided to run a sneak on 4 and inches and it actually worked!!!
twice

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Purdy was very, very poor at this. Left a lot of 1st downs on the field due to his dead legging the final strides or dive towards the line to gain. It's noticeably a trend. I wonder if this detail is mentioned & practice devoted to it?
He legged out his fair share too though and had great pocket awareness and elusiveness.

Dekkers is just a step slow to leave the pocket. Slow at seeing a running lane open. He plants and jukes and goes nowhere too often. For being athletic AF, he is a horrible runner.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
He legged out his fair share too though and had great pocket awareness and elusiveness.

Dekkers is just a step slow to leave the pocket. Slow at seeing a running lane open. He plants and jukes and goes nowhere too often. For being athletic AF, he is a horrible runner.
It seems he does not have great pocket awareness, though to be fair, you need more than 1.5 seconds of time to develop it :)

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
Campbell's offenses have NEVER gotten it done trailing late in the 4th quarter in Big 12 games. We've been in that situation so many times too. Poor decisions by the coaches and poor decisions by the QB in key situations. They are always looking to spike the ball. Makes no sense whatsoever. The clock stops after a 1st down.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I don’t understand why we spiked the ball on that last series. If you are in position to snap the ball you run a play. The defense is on its heels and that’s your best chance to make a play. But that requires an offense that is decisive and has drilled that situation.

Also, the 2 false starts on that last drive speak to the sloppiness of this offense under Campbell and Manning. It is not a well coached unit and does not have a winning culture, further evidenced by Noel’s drop. Campbell has developed a strong team culture overall but they don’t look like they expect to succeed on offense.

Answered your own question.

I'm sure they do because that should be automatic for any college team, but they don't look like, and have never looked like, they have any sort of general package for 2 minute or late game scenarios.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006

You are so right on this. He lacks instincts. He hesitates and struggles to exploits gaps and seems and get up field.