[Hold on, it’s not over yet] PATHWAY TO DALLAS

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Having a title game is a joke to begin with. Unlike any of the other P5 conference, every Big 12 team plays every other Big 12 team, so the real champion is decided in the regular season.

Maybe, maybe not. Big 12 basketball is a true round robin format. Football has the home/away problem including the fact that some schools play 4 home games while others play 5 games.

• Informative
Reactions: LincolnSwinger

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Having a title game is a joke to begin with. Unlike any of the other P5 conference, every Big 12 team plays every other Big 12 team, so the real champion is decided in the regular season.

You must not have been following college football in 2014. TCU, Baylor, and Ohio State were all fighting for the 4th and final CFP spot. TCU and Baylor had been ranked ahead of Ohio State for most of the year. TCU and Baylor had no Big 12 title game and Ohio State put up style points in a 59-0 destruction of Wisconsin in the B1G title game. The committee took notice and moved Ohio State ahead of TCU and Baylor.

Also, money.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
You must not have been following college football in 2014. TCU, Baylor, and Ohio State were all fighting for the 4th and final CFP spot. TCU and Baylor had been ranked ahead of Ohio State for most of the year. TCU and Baylor had no Big 12 title game and Ohio State put up style points in a 59-0 destruction of Wisconsin in the B1G title game. The committee took notice and moved Ohio State ahead of TCU and Baylor.

Also, money.
I'm well aware of what happened then. If I remember correctly, the selection committee said TCU was not selected because they were lacking "an extra data point". Well the Big 10 only plays an 8 game season this year (assuming they get all of their games in). Do you you think the selection committee is going to leave Ohio State out because they're lacking an extra data point? Hardly.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Updated the OP.
Losing Thompson only affected the outcome of their Texas game; however, I think that one may be close any way.
I think OU wins out, the only game left that they will have a fight is possibly OSU.

• Winner
Reactions: motorcy90

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I'm well aware of what happened then. If I remember correctly, the selection committee said TCU was not selected because they were lacking "an extra data point". Well the Big 10 only plays an 8 game season this year (assuming they get all of their games in). Do you you think the selection committee is going to leave Ohio State out because they're lacking an extra data point? Hardly.

No it was simple. Had TCU/Baylor played for a title game one of those teams would have another top 5 win on their resume.

• Agree
Reactions: burn587 and Snydes

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
I think people are maybe writing off KState a little too quickly because of their backup QB. ISU with Purdy beat TCU 37-34. KSU with Will Howard beat TCU 21-14. I was rather impressed with KState's win and their backup QB. I agree their odds should be worse without Skyler, but at this point in time I would put them about even with Texas.

• Agree
Reactions: IndyClone15

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I think people are maybe writing off KState a little too quickly because of their backup QB. ISU with Purdy beat TCU 37-34. KSU with Will Howard beat TCU 21-14. I was rather impressed with KState's win and their backup QB. I agree their odds should be worse without Skyler, but at this point in time I would put them about even with Texas.

I think we're writing off K State too early as well, but comparing scores is ridiculous.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016

ISU also gave up a TD on the last play when the game was out of reach. Not to mention the Purdy play...

KSU got a pick 6 against TCU.

I have no illusions of blowing out KSU. Vaughn looks like a guy that will give us all kinds of trouble and they kicked our asses last year. That said, an improved ISU OL, game in Ames, hopefully better weather, and a freshman QB do point to a favored ISU.

KSU is still going to beat the bad teams in the conference, that I agree with.

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
I think we're writing off K State too early as well, but comparing scores is ridiculous.
True. It was more for perspective than direct comparison. Meaning ISU and KSU have pretty equal resumes right now. And especially since the TCU victory was with their backup QB, I think it's a bit off that ISU's odds are nearly 2.5 times better than KState's.

Now having said that, maybe KState's odds to get to the title game are decent, but nobody thinks they have much chance to actually beat whomever they would face.

So never mind -- their odds are just fine.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
  • Agree
Reactions: Snydes and Aclone

Busch__Latte

Sep 17, 2020
I watch the game on and off; it didn't seem like Kansas State was really doing anything offensive. #22 is really the only guy I would be worried about.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I watch the game on and off; it didn't seem like Kansas State was really doing anything offensive. #22 is really the only guy I would be worried about.

If you believe football is a three-phase game, K-State is the most complete. If you believe offense dominates and is most important, it's ISU. If you believe it's offense and defense, minimizing special teams, then oSu is my favorite to win the championship.

Last edited:
  • Dumb
Reactions: harimad

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Don't forget that odds factor in the propensity of bettors to bet on blue-bloods.
And bettors also don't bet on backup QB's.
I don't even need to read the article. but I bet they are confused why one loss ISU with wins against TCU and OU is more likely to win the championship than a OSU team with narrow wins over Tulsa and WVU and a win over KU.

Busch__Latte

Sep 17, 2020
If you believe football is a three-phase game, K-State is the most complete in all three. If you believe offense dominates and is most important, it's ISU. If you believe it's offense and defense, minimizing special teams, then oSu is my favorite to win the championship.
I would say Iowa State relies just as much on its defense as it does its offense. Special teams have improved. We have probably the best KR'er in the conference and a reliable kicker/punter.

I'm not ready to write Kansas State off yet. The front 7 could improve on run-stopping but I think you guys have one of the top secondaries in the conference. KSU's run game will keep them in most match ups.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I lived in the metroplex for years. It's all considered Dallas-Fort Worth. Usually don't even include Ft. Worth. Jerry Jones isn't the owner of the Irving Cowboys, or Arlington Cowboys. It's not the East Rutherford Jets or Giants either. What about the Maryland Football Team? No?
Wait a minute, I thought they were the Frisco Cowboys.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I lived in the metroplex for years. It's all considered Dallas-Fort Worth. Usually don't even include Ft. Worth. Jerry Jones isn't the owner of the Irving Cowboys, or Arlington Cowboys. It's not the East Rutherford Jets or Giants either. What about the Maryland Football Team? No?
I heard someone say it was the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex...Does anyone in Texas call it that?

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
My Little Brother in Law who is an Iowa State Alum, just told me that the Shorthorn Fans(He Hates the Horns), have given up on the Broken Horns er Shorthorns er Horns.....

Reactions: Snydes

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
ISU also gave up a TD on the last play when the game was out of reach. Not to mention the Purdy play...

KSU got a pick 6 against TCU.

I have no illusions of blowing out KSU. Vaughn looks like a guy that will give us all kinds of trouble and they kicked our asses last year. That said, an improved ISU OL, game in Ames, hopefully better weather, and a freshman QB do point to a favored ISU.

KSU is still going to beat the bad teams in the conference, that I agree with.

I don't believe anyone considers OU and TCU "the bad teams in the conference" though. K-State will struggle to score enough points regardless of who they play going forward without Skylar.