Texas Tech Defense

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I've just been really focusing on watching Tech's defense tonight. First of all, I am no guru on defense or basketball in general. I just like to learn from those in the know. Tech just doubled Osetkowski also, and by the time he pivoted to pass it out to the guard, the Tech player had already rotated over to make that pass defended. On Saturday, he was able to pass it right out and the open guard nailed the three or had plenty of time to pass it to a wide open guy as another defender was flying at him. So.... what is the main issue? As a collective group, does our team not execute? Not understand? Is our double-team not quick enough or from the wrong player? Two guys do their job, three don't? Our personnel isn't equipped to play 'D' like that? Maybe Tech's double team is tougher to pass out of , includes more height than what we're able to provide? Just would like to understand.
Look, I realize there is more to defense than this one particular scenario, like stopping the dribble penetration etc., but Texas has beaten their man off the dribble different times, too, and Tech is there to either block or cause havoc with the dish. Call me envious (or jealous) of their defense.

Reactions: isutrevman

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I've just been really focusing on watching Tech's defense tonight. First of all, I am no guru on defense or basketball in general. I just like to learn from those in the know. Tech just doubled Osetkowski also, and by the time he pivoted to pass it out to the guard, the Tech player had already rotated over to make that pass defended. On Saturday, he was able to pass it right out and the open guard nailed the three or had plenty of time to pass it to a wide open guy as another defender was flying at him. So.... what is the main issue? As a collective group, does our team not execute? Not understand? Is our double-team not quick enough or from the wrong player? Two guys do their job, three don't? Our personnel isn't equipped to play 'D' like that? Maybe Tech's double team is tougher to pass out of , includes more height than what we're able to provide? Just would like to understand.
Look, I realize there is more to defense than this one particular scenario, like stopping the dribble penetration etc., but Texas has beaten their man off the dribble different times, too, and Tech is there to either block or cause havoc with the dish. Call me envious (or jealous) of their defense.

Talent and coaching.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Just from what I’ve seen, we tend to overcommit to help, when often all you need to do is be in the vicinity. Our whole defense also tends to slide to the ball side, even on the opposite side where they’re not in position to help, which leave us vulnerable to the pass over the top.

We can do it, as we’ve done it before, several times.

• Agree
Reactions: oldman and jbhtexas

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Just from what I’ve seen, we tend to overcommit to help, when often all you need to do is be in the vicinity. Our whole defense also tends to slide to the ball side, even on the opposite side where they’re not in position to help, which leave us vulnerable to the pass over the top.

We can do it, as we’ve done it before, several times.
Cam has had a tendency to slide up to the top of the key and sometimes out to 18' where if he just kept it parked in the lane, he wouldnt get some of those catch up rim defense ticky tack fouls.
Kansas last year at Hilton ate him alive on the high low.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Talent and coaching.

Just to be clear,I did not mention coaching anywhere in my post. Not the answer I was looking for. I'm guessing that they are being taught similar things but not executing. As for talent, I don't know. Multiple posters on this board claim we have the best in the conference which I've argued with. Obviously we have a couple freshmen out there too. Maybe they just haven't 'bought in' to defense after all.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Having a team shoot 2 of 9 from Three will always make defense look better. With that said Tech does a great job of jumping passing lanes. Also since they are considered a good defensive team they get away with a little more contact defending the drive. Tech is my 2nd favorite team so glad to see them winning.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Just to be clear,I did not mention coaching anywhere in my post. Not the answer I was looking for. I'm guessing that they are being taught similar things but not executing. As for talent, I don't know. Multiple posters on this board claim we have the best in the conference which I've argued with. Obviously we have a couple freshmen out there too. Maybe they just haven't 'bought in' to defense after all.

No, that was all me. I think CSP is a good coach and great fit for ISU.

I think Beard is an exceptional coach. I know that CSP has actually done well against Beard, but the long haul for Tech this year has been impressive.

I think ISU's execution comes down to habits for angles, anticipation, etc. and they're not great at it, especially lately. I also think ISU doesn't have a lot of real speed on the team to adjust to passing lanes, etc.

• Friendly
Reactions: discydisc

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Helps that Tech has 47% of their minutes played by Seniors just like K-State.

Yeah...that's the talent piece.

I think Tech had to replace a lot this year but it's still experience in the system and knowing what the coach wants.

These teams with that kind of experienced nucleus are fun to watch for good team ball.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Yeah...that's the talent piece.

I think Tech had to replace a lot this year but it's still experience in the system and knowing what the coach wants.

These teams with that kind of experienced nucleus are fun to watch for good team ball.
I believe Tech also has a top 10 draft pick on their team (someone correct me if wrong)

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I believe Tech also has a top 10 draft pick on their team (someone correct me if wrong)

Well some fans around here act like ISU is chuck full of that type, haha.

Fun that ISU beat tech in January but they look pretty solid.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I also think ISU doesn't have a lot of real speed on the team to adjust to passing lanes, etc.

I've never really thought about this in previous years, or even this year until their recent losses, but I think this is a big issue.

Honestly, in a foot race from one end of the court to the other, I think guys like Babb, Halliburton, THT, Shayok, and Jacobsen would get SMOKED by most of their contemporaries in this conference.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Isn't it annoying as heck to knowTech earlier and now KState tonight pummel TCU? A TCU team that kicked our butt twice. Yet we beat both Tech and KState.. on the road no less. SOMEONE EXPLAIN how this goofy game of basketball works!!??! Lol

• Agree
Reactions: stateofmind