Texas Southern at Iowa State predictions.

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
When the non-conference schedule was unveiled this past August I had this game circled as a possible trip-up game for a few reasons. Texas Southern isn’t a great team by any stretch of the means, but they are not a team that Iowa State can beat by just showing up unprepared though either. Texas Southern made the NCAA Tournament last year, they seem to play a fast-pace offense similar to Iowa State and they came off of a victory against Baylor in Waco during their opener.

A depleted Iowa State team surprised me against Missouri last Friday which is encouraging going into this one. No lead is safe against Texas Southern as they came back by a significant deficit to Baylor. I feel a little bit better going into this one knowing Iowa State’s defense is considerably better than I thought.
If we have have lulls on either side of the court, it could be interesting. But if we bring it effort-wise I could see it being a rout too. This game coming on the heels of going to Hawaii also has me a tad concerned because of it possibly being overlooked by players.

My prediction: Iowa State 76 Texas Southern 68

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
There’s a lot of variability in the performance of 18-22 year olds, and it would it take something near a UW-Milwaukee type effort to lose. Which would be surprising given the experience of Babb, Shayok, and Jacobson.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Gonzaga beat them 104-67 last night, hoping we can have a similar result tomorrow.

Gonzaga is one of the best passing teams I've seen in quite a while. Really ran the court and had a lot of shots right at the rim. We'll win, but certainly not by 37.
Cyclones 82-TSU 75.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
might be a good game for these young guys to play. Probably better than Mizzo, but it is not like jumping up to KU either.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Gonzaga is one of the best passing teams I've seen in quite a while. Really ran the court and had a lot of shots right at the rim. We'll win, but certainly not by 37.
Cyclones 82-TSU 75.

If we win, it won’t be by scoring in the 80s. With this lineup we need to beat them with defense. They scored 72 in a win over Baylor and 67 in the loss to Gonzaga (mostly in the second half). If we hold them under that number, we should be good

The problem with Tx So is they have 5 Seniors, 4 of whom transferred in from major programs.

Their best player (Patterson) is a LSU transfer PG who was really cold (4-19) against Gonzaga.

In the middle the have a 7’2” sr who is averaging 15 and 14 over the first 2 games. He’s played 32 minutes each game with only 2 fouls each. We aren’t equipped to deal with that right now.

I expect a really tough game in the 60s. If we can force 20+ turnovers and make enough (8+) threes we can hold on to win.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
ISU by 12-17. Within 10 at HT. Seems like people still have battered fan syndrome after last year. Even with all the people out that we have our talent and P5 experience is still exponentially better than last years team at full strength.