Texas NIL $50k per year for every scholarship lineman

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
It's for "charity"

596.gif
THIS. Another scam in the making. Someone already is coming up with a shell company that is harvesting the money and paying a small commission to the players to help insure the money is passed through.

Reactions: khardbored

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
With the shift from a centralized NCAA, I can see a future where positive income sports like Football and Men's Basketball break away from universities. Especially if athletes become employees of schools.

With Olympic sports, I can see a governance approach similar to what happens with ISU's Club Hockey program.
Hard for the athletics to break away when the schools have undisputed ownership of the team Name, Image, and Likeness.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
At least the cheating gas been brought out in the open.
I know, I love this line too...as if the rich won't just keep getting richer and richer...and richer...

But what's fair is fair!

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
The Supreme Court ruled that the NCAA had violated the Sherman Act.

Here's a link that explains the decision:

The thing with that ruling is that there is this implicit assumption that the NCAA is the only, and will ever be the only, organization to oversee college athletics. That simply isn't factual. The NCAA isn't the only organization that oversees college athletics, and nothing is stopping schools from breaking away and forming other associations to do things the way they want to do it.

The CFA couldn't get their way via vote, so they forced the issue in court. The CFA didn't want the hassle of creating a new association because they wanted the NCAA oversight/rules for everything but college football. In the process of getting their way, they basically rendered the NCAA an impotent oversight organization when it comes to big issues like NIL and punishment for severe infractions/bad behavior.

Last edited:

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I think this will eventually end up with budget-based divisions and ISU and schools like it will end up in a lower division. Although it will take years to shake out, I think we'll see a half-full JTS and less fan passion because there will be no possibility of a "next level" to aspire to. Sorry, just one man's fears.

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
I think this will eventually end up with budget-based divisions and ISU and schools like it will end up in a lower division. Although it will take years to shake out, I think we'll see a half-full JTS and less fan passion because there will be no possibility of a "next level" to aspire to. Sorry, just one man's fears.

Guess we'll just have to enjoy the ride until it happens!

RotatingColumn

Oct 21, 2008
I get all the jokes about "what is texas going to do with all the best recruits, etc", but this just feels so wrong and corrupt. Tell me how this is ok again?
The problem I have with this is its just the start. When is 150k per lineman going to turn into 1M?

its going to get out of control fast without governance.

Because now the boosters don't have to hide their payments to players. We don't have to speculate anymore about why there is only a handful of teams capable of winning a national title.

That's all l got for ya.

Reactions: Cyclad

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
I get all the jokes about "what is texas going to do with all the best recruits, etc", but this just feels so wrong and corrupt. Tell me how this is ok again?
The problem I have with this is its just the start. When is 150k per lineman going to turn into 1M?

its going to get out of control fast without governance.
Could not agree more. This will ultimately destroy college football. It will be an exclusive club for the mega rich.
The NCAA and University President's should never have abdicated their power - they should have adapted with the times.
Now we have a no rules, Wild West shootout.
I am as angry as I am depressed.
No way 90% of teams can compete with this - including us.

• Agree
Reactions: ruxCYtable

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
With the shift from a centralized NCAA, I can see a future where positive income sports like Football and Men's Basketball break away from universities. Especially if athletes become employees of schools.

With Olympic sports, I can see a governance approach similar to what happens with ISU's Club Hockey program.

The sports can't break away much though. The appeal that makes these programs so valuable in the first place is the connection to the school, the students, and the alums. If you sever that, you also cut off the money, because at that point you have paid players and effectively minor league teams. There is no big money to be had in minor league sports. At that point fans shift their attention to the pros or just leave the sport all together.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I like to joke around on here, but I am very seriously looking at starting a Not-for profit for NIL like the Texas one.
I can push papers for you, for a nominal fee.... Only problem I see; aren't nonprofits required to show all funding?

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
The result is what it has always been. If fans want a winning team, the fans must pay for it.
Maybe the arms race has gone up a notch, but that’s the game. Cyclones just need to pony up like every other fan base.
Ahhh yes, the competition killing pay to play model. Works great in the music world... not.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
We’ll see the formation of some kind of semi-pro or pre-professional league independent of the universities because this is not sustainable.

I would watch zero college basketball or college level equivalent if not for my connection with ISU as a university. I find the product to be so inferior to nba (especially the 45 days of playoffs) if I remove my investment in ISU.

College football I do enjoy the product quite often vs the nfl…but still not sure I’d irrationally pick some new team as “my” team.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
I like to joke around on here, but I am very seriously looking at starting a Not-for profit for NIL like the Texas one.
Go for it
But, as a member of the gridiron club board for several years, I can tell you, you will chasing $100 donations while Texas chases $1,000,000 ones. We have great fans - great. Just not many super rich ones.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Go for it
But, as a member of the gridiron club board for several years, I can tell you, you will chasing $100 donations while Texas chases $1,000,000 ones. We have great fans - great. Just not many super rich ones.

I know and that is my of my hold ups. I want to do it right, but I ain't going to put a lot of time in it to chase pidly **** that isn't going to make a difference.

Reactions: Farnsworth

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron