Texas NIL $50k per year for every scholarship lineman

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
Salary caps. Free agency. Endorsement deals

Sounds like professional football to me. Why wouldn't I just watch the NFL?

David Montgomery had a first year salary of around $500,000 on his rookie contract.

How long until a stud college player at Alabama is starting to bump up against numbers like that

This is a great point.
College coaches will be making more than NFL

Top 10 NFL coaches are 8-12M per year.
Top 10 college coaches are 7-12+M per year and rapidly increasing

Depending on how crazy this gets you may see more players stay around in college if it makes them money. Not so much the elite 1-2 rounders because that money is insane, but who knows about the rest.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I still consider it a minor issue when compared to schools constantly jumping conferences and coaches constantly switching schools. All for more money. I think those issues need to be fixed first.
How so? How is any of this an issue? As long as they pay agreed to exit fees, it’s no different than any other aspect of life. Coaches leaving for what the market will pay.

And this is just entertainment. Big deal if there’s movement.

One can at least argue players getting paid and moving hurts product differentiation with the NFL, which is bad for longevity

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
How so? How is any of this an issue? As long as they pay agreed to exit fees, it’s no different than any other aspect of life. Coaches leaving for what the market will pay.

And this is just entertainment. Big deal if there’s movement.

One can at least argue players getting paid and moving hurts product differentiation with the NFL, which is bad for longevity

What hurts ISU more? Oklahoma and Texas leaving the conference, Matt Campbell leaving or a player leaving. To me, Oklahoma and Texas leaving or Matt Campbell leaving hurts ISU far more than a player leaving.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
What hurts ISU more? Oklahoma and Texas leaving the conference, Matt Campbell leaving or a player leaving. To me, Oklahoma and Texas leaving or Matt Campbell leaving hurts ISU far more than a player leaving.
Why is what hurts ISU a sign the system needs changing? Texas being surrounded by the thousands more recruits and having far more wealth hurts ISU. I don’t think that’s an issue that needs correction or change.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Why is what hurts ISU a sign the system needs changing? Texas being surrounded by the thousands more recruits and having far more wealth hurts ISU. I don’t think that’s an issue that needs correction or change.

Because I'm an ISU fan and want what's best for ISU. ;)

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
I get the sentiment that Texas will still suck regardless, but other schools are going to do this too. At some point the right leadership will also probably take over at Texas and make them relevant again as well. Things like this will obviously change recruiting.

I'm pro NIL, but this one is weird. How can you claim you are paying a person for the value of their Name/Image/Likeness when it's an unnamed future person? Also how can you claim you are paying for the value of their NIL when you are paying the same amount to a back up guard that hasn't seen the field and no one has even heard of and to your starting left tackle that is projected to be a first round draft pick?

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006

I mean I think most of college football would be fine with moving Texas to Alaska or somewhere more remote.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY and WhoISthis

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Because I'm an ISU fan and want what's best for ISU. ;)
That’s different from the soap box, “there are issues”.

I want to go back to 70’s era business model tomorrow so Iowa states fan support means it’s a top-20 job. But there’s no legitimate problems with people and schools making huge money off popular entertainment

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
That’s different from the soap box, “there are issues”.

I want to go back to 70’s era business model tomorrow so Iowa states fan support means it’s a top-20 job. But there’s no legitimate problems with people and schools making huge money off popular entertainment

I agree with this. People should be able to make money including the players. If people have a problem with NIL, they should have a problem with schools and coaches constantly chasing money. My posts were trying to point out the hypocrisy.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I get the sentiment that Texas will still suck regardless, but other schools are going to do this too. At some point the right leadership will also probably take over at Texas and make them relevant again as well. Things like this will obviously change recruiting.

I'm pro NIL, but this one is weird. How can you claim you are paying a person for the value of their Name/Image/Likeness when it's an unnamed future person? Also how can you claim you are paying for the value of their NIL when you are paying the same amount to a back up guard that hasn't seen the field and no one has even heard of and to your starting left tackle that is projected to be a first round draft pick?
I'm with you on your second paragraph. I didn't want NIL approved because of what it could turn into, but those first couple weeks I thought it wasn't so bad. Kids should be able to profit off of themselves selling tees, being in commercials, things like that. Now that it's turned into what Texas is doing, I'm back to hating it. There's no "NIL" factor when they're all getting $50K no matter what

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
As I've said before, I just can't find it in me to be upset about a college aged kid getting a small cut of the extreme fortunes CFB creates. Even if it likely adversely effects Iowa State, I struggle to view it as a bad thing.

it’s muddy and incestuous

nobody is going to pay a college offensive lineman $600,000 before any individual payday if he doesn’t have a university brand associated with him.

A university brand that is always built by students who do pay tuition and usually supported by tax payers.

Yeah Breece Hall and Colt McCoy generate far more than that. Offensive lineman typically don’t, most wouldn’t even generate 10k if they are playing for Austin’s arena league football team instead of the tax payer subsidized University of Texas brand.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Who is going to make these rules?

I think the only real hope is that the Alliance, which does have a holier-than-thou mindset, pushes some kind of system (possibly under the NCAA) which puts some kind of rules on it to ensure fairness/parity to some level. The trick is probably to get it so that the players will voluntarily accept it. Essentially, it becomes more like the pro sports, with an actual governing body and collective bargaining for the players. So you find a way to pay players without buying players.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying this will happen, or is likely to happen, or even will actually work. It's more like, the only good way out I can see.

That said, the first rule of economics is that if something is unsustainable, then it eventually will stop. And I see the NIL stuff going off the rails, damaging the integrity and fairness of the sport, and turning into an arms race that is unsustainable. So either they will do something to make it work fairly in a new way, or else college football will end as we know it. You will have the superleague of 20 schools that can afford to play, and the also rans either become like FCS level now or just cancel football completely.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

When your top 10 players leave every year, it will hurt much more. ISU will be more like an developmental academy than college football. You won't be playing the same game as Texas, Bama, tOSU, etc. They will buy your best players away. Every year.

• Agree
Reactions: legi and STLISU

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
When your top 10 players leave every year, it will hurt much more. ISU will be more like an developmental academy than college football. You won't be playing the same game as Texas, Bama, tOSU, etc. They will buy your best players away. Every year.

Is this happening? This is sort of a bogeyman right now but schools and coaches chasing money is happening right now.

• Disagree
Reactions: WhoISthis

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I'm with you on your second paragraph. I didn't want NIL approved because of what it could turn into, but those first couple weeks I thought it wasn't so bad. Kids should be able to profit off of themselves selling tees, being in commercials, things like that. Now that it's turned into what Texas is doing, I'm back to hating it. There's no "NIL" factor when they're all getting $50K no matter what

There's a lot of unintended consequences right now.

The excesses are actually what kind of give me hope people will freak out a bit and decide they need to do something to manage it.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Is this happening? This is sort of a bogeyman right now but schools and coaches chasing money is happening right now.

IDK if it happening today, but I would be more surprised if it wasn't than if it was. I don't think it is going out on a limb in the least to predict this is the future if nothing else changes. I mean, if I can figure it out, you think the bagmen at Auburn or Tennessee can't?

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
I don't think anyone is complaining or thinking the players don't deserve the right to make money. I think what people are upset about is there are no rules. when there are no rules, then stupid crap happens.

I still think there is going to be some heat on these schools why a Women's rowing team isn't getting 150K per year to match the men. or whatever the going rate is for the mens side... Are we going to have the Womens US Soccer versus Mens Soccer argument pop up here? No idea if Title IX applies, but there is probably a loophole that gets around it if the school isn't technically paying for it or something. I don't know....

Reactions: Farnsworth

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Who is going to make these rules?

The death of the NCAA started back in the 1980's, when Oklahoma and Georgia (universities) sued the NCAA for broadcast rights. The Supreme Court ruled on behalf of the plaintiffs, which set the precedent that the NCAA, a private institution where membership is completely voluntary, can't govern its members the way it wants to. That precedent was reaffirmed after the Sandusky pedophile scandal at Penn State, where the NCAA dropped the hammer on PSU, but the courts later reversed many of the penalties. The NCAA, as a governing organization, is rather impotent.

Any system that the NCAA put in place to govern NIL income would likely be (or have been) challenged, and if court precedent held, the NCAA would lose. And if the courts didn't rule against the NCAA NIL policy, individual states could make their own NIL rules (like they are now), and the states could prescribe much less restrictive NIL policies than the NCAA policy to give the schools in their states an advantage. Then, the NCAA would have to sue all the individual states with NIL rules, or capitulate to the state rules.

Once the concept of college athletes getting NIL became socially acceptable, the process was going to immediately head to what we see. At some point, there might be enough consensus to pass federal laws to govern NIL, and perhaps the courts would let the laws stand. But I don't see that consensus now.
They can't pass laws right now, the rich haven't made their money off it yet.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
IDK if it happening today, but I would be more surprised if it wasn't than if it was. I don't think it is going out on a limb in the least to predict this is the future if nothing else changes. I mean, if I can figure it out, you think the bagmen at Auburn or Tennessee can't?

I think people see NIL and immediately try to create worst-case scenarios to create panic. Until I see something like this actually happening, I'm not going to waste time worrying about it.

Reactions: Mr Janny

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
We’ll see the formation of some kind of semi-pro or pre-professional league independent of the universities because this is not sustainable.

• Agree
Reactions: STLISU