Texas NIL $50k per year for every scholarship lineman

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
NIL thread is here...Could we merge?

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
In my opinion schools switching conferences and coaches jumping schools for higher payouts are ruining the sport far more than a college kid making some bank off of his contributions.

Wait til the players jump from school to school. ISU will never have a Mike Rose or Breece Hall for more than 1 season.

The problem is not PAYING players, the problem is BUYING players.

It's wild west right now, but I do think rules of some kind will coming down in a year or 2 that will reduce the insanity while still allowing players to make money.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Wait til the players jump from school to school. ISU will never have a Mike Rose or Breece Hall for more than 1 season.

It's wild west right now, but I do think rules of some kind will coming down in a year or 2 that will reduce the insanity while still allowing players to make money.

I still consider it a minor issue when compared to schools constantly jumping conferences and coaches constantly switching schools. All for more money. I think those issues need to be fixed first.

• Disagree
Reactions: alarson

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
That’s great and all, but does anyone else think throwing all this money at 18-year-olds is just going to make Texas’s culture problems worse? I mean, I’m not worried about this making Texas more competitive on the field, not even a little bit.

Yeah they already got the best recruits. Now they have the same best recruits obsessing about what nice car they can buy instead of football.

Some program will figure out how to pay the top recruits and also keep them laser focused but it won’t be this era of Texas football to do it.

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
University presidents need to take control here, you first Big 12 since realistically no one else will do anything.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
Unless ISU can find enough private money to be in this game on some level, it will absolutely be a problem. We only have to lose a couple guys per year for it to potentially show up on the field. What if someone got Breece with 100k to go to wherever? Might have made this team look different?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Unless ISU can find enough private money to be in this game on some level, it will absolutely be a problem. We only have to lose a couple guys per year for it to potentially show up on the field. What if someone got Breece with 100k to go to wherever? Might have made this team look different?

Texas didn’t want Breece. Not enough talent for them. They’d want to buy his services after he proved he was better than any of their 5*s.

Maybe it’s transfers and $ combined that doom this.

The NFL allowing freshmen to be drafted might help us if Texas can just start buying the freshman they missed due to poor recruiting evaluation after a year on the field.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
Texas didn’t want Breece. Not enough talent for them. They’d want to buy his services after he proved he was better than any of their 5*s.

Maybe it’s transfers and $ combined that doom this.

The NFL allowing freshmen to be drafted might help us if Texas can just start buying the freshman they missed due to poor recruiting evaluation after a year on the field.
I'm not really saying only Breece, and def not only Texas. Any of the guys that we count on don't make it to campus and it makes a difference. We won't know who they are at the time but I guess I'm saying our margin for error is much less.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I get all the jokes about "what is texas going to do with all the best recruits, etc", but this just feels so wrong and corrupt. Tell me how this is ok again?
The problem I have with this is its just the start. When is 150k per lineman going to turn into 1M?

its going to get out of control fast without governance.

Don't worry all is well :rolleyes: . I agree with you a unbridled NIL isn't that great for college athletics.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Yeah they already got the best recruits. Now they have the same best recruits obsessing about what nice car they can buy instead of football.

Some program will figure out how to pay the top recruits and also keep them laser focused but it won’t be this era of Texas football to do it.

Bama.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I'm not really saying only Breece, and def not only Texas. Any of the guys that we count on don't make it to campus and it makes a difference. We won't know who they are at the time but I guess I'm saying our margin for error is much less.

I agree, it just seems like transfers is more of a potential blow to have-nots. The power schools have scholarship limits, but if freshmen can’t declare for the draft big money programs can now just offer cash to the best freshman they missed.

I guess they can also pull money from bad players? I mean if they can give plank check NIL they can definitely pull it. Pull the cash from their bust and give it to ISU’s 3* recruit who was actually a 5*.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

Who is going to make these rules?

The death of the NCAA started back in the 1980's, when Oklahoma and Georgia (universities) sued the NCAA for broadcast rights. The Supreme Court ruled on behalf of the plaintiffs, which set the precedent that the NCAA, a private institution where membership is completely voluntary, can't govern its members the way it wants to. That precedent was reaffirmed after the Sandusky pedophile scandal at Penn State, where the NCAA dropped the hammer on PSU, but the courts later reversed many of the penalties. The NCAA, as a governing organization, is rather impotent.

Any system that the NCAA put in place to govern NIL income would likely be (or have been) challenged, and if court precedent held, the NCAA would lose. And if the courts didn't rule against the NCAA NIL policy, individual states could make their own NIL rules (like they are now), and the states could prescribe much less restrictive NIL policies than the NCAA policy to give the schools in their states an advantage. Then, the NCAA would have to sue all the individual states with NIL rules, or capitulate to the state rules.

Once the concept of college athletes getting NIL became socially acceptable, the process was going to immediately head to what we see. At some point, there might be enough consensus to pass federal laws to govern NIL, and perhaps the courts would let the laws stand. But I don't see that consensus now.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The death of the NCAA started back in the 1980's, when Oklahoma and Georgia (universities) sued the NCAA for broadcast rights. The Supreme Court ruled on behalf of the plaintiffs, which set the precedent that the NCAA, a private institution where membership is completely voluntary, can't govern its members the way it wants to. That precedent was reaffirmed after the Sandusky pedophile scandal at Penn State, where the NCAA dropped the hammer on PSU, but the courts later reversed many of the penalties. The NCAA, as a governing organization, is rather impotent.
This is what has always confounded me. How did this happen? Did the NCAA have totally incompetent legal counsel? I get that they can contend that the NCAA is something akin to a monopoly, but the existence of the NAIA at least creates an avenue to fight that line of reasoning.

Not only is the NCAA a voluntary organization but it is essentially ruled by its membership as evidenced by its various rules committees being representatives of the member institutions.

• Agree
Reactions: jbhtexas

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Kind of a wild thought but do college coaches need a salary cap? Would be hard to scale and implement but I don't hate the idea. At the highest level they now make double what nfl coaches earn.

Salary caps. Free agency. Endorsement deals

Sounds like professional football to me. Why wouldn't I just watch the NFL?

David Montgomery had a first year salary of around $500,000 on his rookie contract.

How long until a stud college player at Alabama is starting to bump up against numbers like that

Reactions: legi

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines

Great example. MC recruits a couple guys that were under the radar but really good. they go to ISU for 1-2 years and then get picked off.

So lets say after the Oregon fiesta bowl, Kohlar , Purdy , Rose and Hall were picked off for 250K each to different schools.
would they go?

if there is a scholarship limit at those schools couldn't they just walk on and build the tuition money into the 250K? or maybe give them 275K and say schools on you? Then you are not even worrying about schollys? is that that ok to do?

out of all the dumb crap that schools have been in trouble for over the past 50+ years, it now feels like its all ok in a matter of months.

I guess I wasn't tracking that the purpose of the NIL was to actually pay the players.

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
Salary caps. Free agency. Endorsement deals

Sounds like professional football to me. Why wouldn't I just watch the NFL?

David Montgomery had a first year salary of around $500,000 on his rookie contract.

How long until a stud college player at Alabama is starting to bump up against numbers like that
Might keep players in college sports longer. Especially basketball. 5 star recruits no longer need to go to the nba d league if they didn't wow everyone in their first year. They will make more money (legit) playing for duke or kansas.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone