Texas NIL $50k per year for every scholarship lineman

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
There's a lot of unintended consequences right now.

The excesses are actually what kind of give me hope people will freak out a bit and decide they need to do something to manage it.
It will be super interesting when the women's cross country team sees the lack of equality between football players and their team. There will be a brand new round of Title 9 issues to complicate this even further.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
IMO if you are someone like Purdy you bid yourself out for your 5th year of playing and make some coin. Not really an NFL prospect but a really good college player, he would be the perfect fit for this.

(I don't think he would actually do that)

• Agree
Reactions: CyCloned

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
It will be super interesting when the women's cross country team sees the lack of equality between football players and their team. There will be a brand new round of Title 9 issues to complicate this even further.

Maybe I'm mistaken but I don't think this could be a Title IX issue since private businesses are providing the NIL dollars. Title XI only applies to organizations that receive federal aid. If the university was paying NIL to student-athletes, then Title XI would apply.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Culture is going to be hugely important at the non-blue-blood schools in an effort to entice kids to stay that might have a chance to profit some based on early development in a football program. I have said it many times on this site...I am all for kids and choices in college football. More opportunities that college athletes are given...great for them! It will change the landscape of the game that we know and love so that might diminish part of our passion for the game but if it offers kids more options then I am all for them! The NIL situation changes the landscape for sure but combine it with the ability for kids to switch schools much more easily than in the past...that is what concerns me. I am not advocating for a tightening of the transfer rules...just saying that the timing of liberal transfer rules combined with NIL could make for some crazy situations in the coming offseasons in college football.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
This is what has always confounded me. How did this happen? Did the NCAA have totally incompetent legal counsel? I get that they can contend that the NCAA is something akin to a monopoly, but the existence of the NAIA at least creates an avenue to fight that line of reasoning.

Not only is the NCAA a voluntary organization but it is essentially ruled by its membership as evidenced by its various rules committees being representatives of the member institutions.

I completely agree with this, and I cannot understand it either. I don't get how the court has any jurisdiction to tell a private organization how to manage its revenue. And even on the anti-trust/monopoly angle, nothing was stopping Oklahoma, Georgia, and any other school from leaving the NCAA and breaking away to form a new college athletics association.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I completely agree with this, and I cannot understand it either. I don't get how the court has any jurisdiction to tell a private organization how to manage its revenue. And even on the anti-trust/monopoly angle, nothing was stopping Oklahoma, Georgia, and any other school from leaving the NCAA and breaking away to form a new college athletics association.

This is what has always confounded me. How did this happen? Did the NCAA have totally incompetent legal counsel? I get that they can contend that the NCAA is something akin to a monopoly, but the existence of the NAIA at least creates an avenue to fight that line of reasoning.

Not only is the NCAA a voluntary organization but it is essentially ruled by its membership as evidenced by its various rules committees being representatives of the member institutions.

The Supreme Court ruled that the NCAA had violated the Sherman Act.

Here's a link that explains the decision:

• Informative
Reactions: VeloClone

CyAtlanta

Jan 23, 2017
IMO if you are someone like Purdy you bid yourself out for your 5th year of playing and make some coin. Not really an NFL prospect but a really good college player, he would be the perfect fit for this.

Excellent thought. Why not? If you're a 22 year old "kid" and not NFL prospect, why wouldn't you play an extra year somewhere and pocket $100K to start your post-college life

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
With the shift from a centralized NCAA, I can see a future where positive income sports like Football and Men's Basketball break away from universities. Especially if athletes become employees of schools.

With Olympic sports, I can see a governance approach similar to what happens with ISU's Club Hockey program.

danvillecyclone

Dec 8, 2011

If Purdy is worth $100k, how much is Dekkers worth???

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009

Depends on the situation of the team. Purdy is very proven while Dekkers would be a long-term play. If a team is just a QB away from being something special for 1 year Purdy would be worth a lot of money to them IMO where Dekkers is a longer-term investment.

CyAtlanta

Jan 23, 2017
Purdy is just an example. Why wouldn't any college player that's good (but not NFL good) not give it a shot. Unless you've graduated and have a good job/career lined up, why wouldn't this be a great way to jumpstart your career.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
But people who said NIL would be abused and have the net effect of outright paying players were called stupid.

"Caleb Grill should be able to make a few bucks off a dorky Cyclone Fanatic shirt guyzzzzz!"

This was never about small-time players being able to make a few bucks, this has always been about the wealthy programs being able to buy players and recruits with their donors who are business owners.

FWIW I am pro-NIL as I think people should have the freedom to make money that is owed to them. I also see and realize the destruction it will have college athletics as we know it, and think it will be a terrible thing for the sport.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
But people who said NIL would be abused and have the net effect of outright paying players were called stupid.
I don't think that's true. What I remember is CFers simply stating that it's the law...I doubt anyone is surprised by the abuse* we all saw coming.

*EDIT...I mean methods...I guess if it's legal it's not "abuse".

CyAtlanta

Jan 23, 2017
NIL will also basically eliminate scholarship limits for all sports. I think it's BYU that has a donor that has said he will give the equivalent of a full ride for all walk-ons. Minor sports too. Maybe an alumn offers David Carr or Spencer Lee money for NIL. Part of that can be to pay for his scholarship. So, Iowa State/Iowa takes that full ride and offers it to the recruit they were going to lose to another program because he was being asked to walk on.

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
Maybe I'm mistaken but I don't think this could be a Title IX issue since private businesses are providing the NIL dollars. Title XI only applies to organizations that receive federal aid. If the university was paying NIL to student-athletes, then Title XI would apply.
I think you are right, but i have to imagine there is going to be some sort of fall out.
probably be some sort of law suit or complaint of some sort.

my biggest curiosity is when the this semi pro league breaks away from the NCAA and becomes the G League of football.

The division 1 power 5 teams left behind will be kind of like thought of like how we look at FCS schools now.

when you are a high school kid your goal will be to go to the "G league and get paid for school and play"
Then if you can't make that you end up going the next level down.

with the changes to the big12 and including Notre Dame there is 69 teams considered a power 5.
it will be interesting to see how many of these 69 teams in up in this newly created league. a

probably be about 40 teams is my guess. you could do a 4 conference - 10 team league .
Everyone has already sold out and are in the process of ruining any remaining traditions college football had anyway. why stop now.

would also be interesting to know where Iowa ends up on that list. I think they would either be last 4 In or first ones out.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron