Texas FB Recruit opting out of High School Senior Season...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
All I can think of is Friday Night Lights where the star RB blows his knee out. I don't have a huge issue with him doing this; freak injuries can happen.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I don't really see the emotional argument a lot are trying to make. High school football was our peak, not his.

I do think losing a year of on the field experience could be a big deal. And it'd be hard to stay motivated knowing you're at least 1-2 years from playing a football game again, but maybe that's not a problem for him.

Last edited:

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
This. Especially if he's already approaching it as a job/financial decision. Not saying its wrong or unwise for him, but he's missing out on a lot of fun. And it's supposed to be fun.
I will say this and I'm not taking a side, but just looking at the reality.

If you are an nfl general manager in a few years and you are looking at this kid and you see - sat out senior year of high school, and then (let's just say for sake of discussion) he sits out some college games and a college bowl game or whatever.... Is it fair to question the love for the game and how much you like the game, how much you're willing to give up for the team? Those are all fair questions to me..

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

If you are an nfl general manager in a few years and you are looking at this kid and you see - sat out senior year of high school, and then (let's just say for sake of discussion) he sits out some college games and a college bowl game or whatever.... Is it fair to question the love for the game and how much you like the game, how much you're willing to give up for the team? Those are all fair questions to me..

Do NFL GMs really care about that though?

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008

For a running back probably not. In the NFL it's a job so I wouldn't be too concerned whether he really loves the game or not. A quarterback would be different. To do all the work required to be a successful NFL quarterback I think you really need to love the game.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007

Valid questions. You are willing to give up the game........because you love the game? No, you are willing to give up the game because you want to get paid. I remember in the movie "Field Of Dreams" Ray Liotta's character says "I would have played for nothing". It seems those days are gone now. The adults in charge be it college or the NFL better be careful or we will see the 8th grader projected to be the next Walter Payton forgo his 4 years of high school ball to reduce wear and tear and "enhance" his off field training.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Anyone calling this kid selfish has their head too far up their ass to be entitled to an opinion. Upper level programs like this in Texas are basically football factories. Kids dedicate their time and effort for a chance to make the next step. He's accomplished that goal. Giving a teammate that same opportunity seems like the complete opposite of selfish.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
I mean, kids already are skipping games in college for the NFL. I'm not surprised it's making its way down the ladder. If he is all business, this is the way to go. It is the straight line path. That is what this kid has to remember, he is getting into a business. He is treating it that way. Kudos to him.

To those calling him selfish. Its selfish for others to not want him to chase his dreams. If this is what the kid feels is best for him, then he should do it. I understand he may be letting friends and teammates down, but he'd also be letting himself down if he didn't chase his dreams.

• Winner
Reactions: Hoggins

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
People calling this kid selfish are a special kind of dumb.

I’m sure this decision wasn’t made without heavy discussion from the University of Texas and their approval. Hell, it might have even been their idea originally.

The NFL treats running backs like trash anymore. All you are is a set number of carries. Once you hit that number, you’re discarded. If this kid thinks he’s got the talent to get to the NFL and wants to save tread on the tire for a longer career, more power to him. GMs aren’t going to give two ***** about this. If he’s got the talent, he’ll have fresher legs and that’s all they care about. To call him selfish because he’s skipping a year of high school ball after already securing a scholarship from one of the most well known college programs in the country, is just dumb as ****. You’d be dumb to risk blowing out your knee for something as worthless as that.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
People calling this kid selfish are a special kind of dumb.

I’m sure this decision wasn’t made without heavy discussion from the University of Texas and their approval. Hell, it might have even been their idea originally.

The NFL treats running backs like trash anymore. All you are is a set number of carries. Once you hit that number, you’re discarded. If this kid thinks he’s got the talent to get to the NFL and wants to save tread on the tire for a longer career, more power to him. GMs aren’t going to give two ***** about this. If he’s got the talent, he’ll have fresher legs and that’s all they care about. To call him selfish because he’s skipping a year of high school ball after already securing a scholarship from one of the most well known college programs in the country, is just dumb as ****. You’d be dumb to risk blowing out your knee for something as worthless as that.
Do you think every kid with a college scholarship in hand should opt out of their senior season? Since it’s “dumb to risk blowing out your knee” ?

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Do you think every kid with a college scholarship in hand should opt out of their senior season? Since it’s “dumb to risk blowing out your knee” ?
Every kid should do what they feel is best for them. It's why ISU has so many players returning. They feel it is the best thing for them. If it wasn't they wouldn't do it.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt and aobie

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Every kid should do what they feel is best for them. It's why ISU has so many players returning. They feel it is the best thing for them. If it wasn't they wouldn't do it.
And I’m not allowed to view that as selfish. That’s literally the definition of selfish

• Agree
Reactions: Lyon309Cy

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
There was the kid from Florida State recently who was a Rhodes Scholar and said he wanted to be a brain surgeon, and the NFL openly questioned his commitment. They thought KO might be too soft because he was raised by women.

ETA: The FSU kid was Myron Rolle.

Last edited:

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
And I’m not allowed to view that as selfish. That’s literally the definition of selfish
I didn't say you weren't allowed to view it as selfish. I'm a firm believer that there is nothing but selfishness. Go read my initial post on it. Whatever he does, there is selfishness involved. If you're letting others dictate your path in life, then you lose all sense of self.