Texas coaches

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
So.....you in your almighty wisdom discount 90% of all chatter from Fans, boosters, agents and reporters, but in the same breath rely on John Walters as preacher of the Texas Football coach search who likely will only comment when it's already official. So how do you determine how to filter the 90% BS versus the 10% fact in your mind?

Look, I never said Gundy was for sure getting the job. I just said he will be a candidate if Mack steps down. Where there is smoke, there is fire. Clearly UT wants Saban and isn't going to announce Mack's future until Saban, behind closed doors, either accepts or declines the job.

If Saban declines, the school will move toward a candidate on their short list. Gundy will be on that list and he will be toward the top. As for Gundy and the possibility of leaving his alma mater, he will consider it and already has last year with the Arkansas position openly in the media.

Gundy is not the Fred Hoiberg of OSU. He is a revered former great player who happens to be a head coach. But that is where the similarities end with your logic on why Gundy wouldn't leave if given the opportunity to coach UT. Gundy is much more ego driven then Fred. He does not have the same personality as Hoiberg. Gundy is an a-hole. Gundy also does not like his AD. Their is friction between both men. Sometimes your dream job doesn't pan out to be so. How often in the real world do people change their opinion of their working situation due to not liking their boss? Every frickin day. He will move on for the right opportunity.

I am not here to prognosticate Gundy as the next UT coach, but he will be in the conversation if Saban declines.

I did not say John Walters would break the new Texas coach news. I said someone like John, a trusted media person, who wont put garbage out there, who the athletic dept trusts. Just like John has done in the past for/with ISU.

My point is no matter how big of jerk you are or how you feel about you current job it would be hard to make that job change going to a direct competitor. Going to a different conference is one thing, staying in conference is a complete other thing.

As for filtering the info, you listen knowing most of what you hear will be wrong. We have been through 4 major coaching changes at ISU the last 10 years, and there is a lot of garbage that gets thrown out in these searches. Everybody claims to know someone close to the situation or a big booster or whatever, yet at the end of it their story couldn't be farther from the truth.