Texas at ISU

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
They seem to laugh and/or smile a lot more in VB, even when the other team gets the point.

So, what makes UT so much better than other teams? The girls look the same physically. Do they have better control/placement in hitting the ball?

Eckerman, Webster, and McCGe are all 6'3". The have a couple other girls even taller. Tory Knuth is the only Cyclone that tall.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I hope we get to host 1st and 2nd round NCAA games. We're so on the bubble, even with the win over Texas, because we're still not particularly close to the top 16 in rpi. If they want to make some money, they'll let us host because our attendance numbers have been really good. As of last week, we were 12th in average attendance with 2400 per game (of course, that does not factor in the 4396 that saw Texas lose). Keep your fingers crossed! I'm going to be so genuinely disappointed if we are not selected to host. I think our run over the last ten games and taking down the #1 and #3 teams in the country this season are proof that we're good enough. But, man, would I love to get that Syracuse match back...

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Surprised to see that we had a higher hitting %. Anybody have blocking numbers?

Stats from tonight http://www.cyclones.com/pdf8/999601.pdf

Anyone else see that Texas had one Senior?

Fun night of volleyball, lots of long rallies. I have a daughter just getting into volleyball and she had the opportunity to be a ball helper this year (she was sweeping the court during the second set tonight). It has been fun for her getting to watch this level of volleyball, learn the players, and be "involved" in the game. Unfortunately with her genetics the best we can hope for is a Kristen Hahn type of player out of her--that would still be awesome. :)

Would love to see them play in Hilton again this year!

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Eckerman, Webster, and McCGe are all 6'3". The have a couple other girls even taller. Tory Knuth is the only Cyclone that tall.
Yeah, and we have several that are 6-2. I did not realize one inch is significant when factors of wing span and the vertical determine reach- which I admit perhaps cyclones.tv did not justice to UT.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Volleyball is like any other sport....you can't let the highs be too high and the lows be too low because the momentum can switch in a second.
Their celebrations/highs are different imo. Certainly different expressions than during a basketball or football game, and they come together more often. I realize it is a small sample, perhaps other teams are stoic.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
So it is pretty much all about skill with the ball? With no context, it seems like it often comes down to guessing correctly where the other team is going and the luck of the bounce.

Probably the oddest things I noticed watching for the first time: the size differential of the women in the different jersey's compared to the others, and the players reactions. For how close and intense the game was, they looked happy.

It's about accuracy passing the ball and getting into your offense. From there, it's about being unpredictable so the other team can't concentrate blockers on your attacker. Finally, it's about getting a good set to a spot where your hitter can put the ball down hard. When you see the setter running around wildly to get into position to set the ball because the pass wasn't on line, you know that you're probably watching losing volleyball. That's what makes Kristen Hahn such a great defender-- the fact that she digs so many balls, and even more incredibly, when she does dig them, the pass STILL looks like it's on a rail right to Landwehr.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
There is a nicely written article at the Ames Tribune.
http://amestrib.com/sections/sports...yclones-send-seniors-out-upset-longhorns.html

Hahn is quoted as hearing that Webster can touch 11-1/2 feet. So she just hits over any block. So there is a real difference in some special individual talents of the Texas players that does make them different than ISU (and many other teams as well obviously).

But ISU showed that it has its own talents and weapons, and put it all out there in an impressive display of team volleyball. Thanks to all the seniors for your contributions to the program, and for supporting the freshmen in their roles throughout the season. It's incredible to think that a freshman is serving for the match, and a freshman is a go-to choice of the setter to try to win the match.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
So, given that RPI matters most with NCAA vball hosting decisions, does anyone know if other factors have been considered in recent years? In other words, are there examples of non-top-16 RPI teams getting selected to host? If there are, one would think ISU is the perfect candidate, especially given the win streak and the top-5 wins.

Also, wherever ISU plays, I sure as heck wouldn't want to play us right now. I would think there would be pressure on the committee to not put us in Omaha or Minnesota, since we would threaten the hometown favorite, having beat Nebraska earlier in the year, and beat Minnesota in last year's regionals. Of course, as I recall, the vball committee seems to come up with at least one (if not more) highly debatable decisions in the bracket.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
texas usually controls teams through the block- which often helps hide that they don't have defensive players at hahn's level (and the reverse is true for us, hahn's outstanding play helps cover our lack of a block). when i looked at the end of the third, texas had one solo and four errors, extrmemly uncharacteristic for them. they picked it up in the fourth, which helped, but im curious if it was their poor play or something we did to shut down their block. if us, that bodes very well for the tournament. not sure if we'll get a seed, but we are very hot right now. sorry for errors, still on my phone!

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
texas usually controls teams through the block- which often helps hide that they don't have defensive players at hahn's level (and the reverse is true for us, hahn's outstanding play helps cover our lack of a block). when i looked at the end of the third, texas had one solo and four errors, extrmemly uncharacteristic for them. they picked it up in the fourth, which helped, but im curious if it was their poor play or something we did to shut down their block. if us, that bodes very well for the tournament. not sure if we'll get a seed, but we are very hot right now. sorry for errors, still on my phone!

I thought we did a great job of mixing up shots as well as hitting around the block...Texas still had a triple block up sometimes and we found a way to put it down. I think this shows the growth of our hitters and the determination to get a kill. This bodes very well heading into the tournament because there aren't too many better blocking teams in the country (like literally 1 or 2)

I'm hoping for a seed but not expecting one...i'd say this win bumped us up to around 18 or 19 rpi so it depends on if the selection committee takes us.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
CJ indicated in the presser that we mixed in hits from the back row to throw off their block. Malloy is very good at that. Los having Malloy set a couple times caught hem flat-footed so-to-speak.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Yeah, and we have several that are 6-2. I did not realize one inch is significant when factors of wing span and the vertical determine reach- which I admit perhaps cyclones.tv did not justice to UT.

That, and they all can jump out of the gym. Like in football UT is one of the schools that gets their pick of studettes. Webster was ranked #1 in her recruiting class, McCage #3, and Eckerman #5. Khat Bell is just 6'1" but was ranked #2. They have all played or National teams. They have several others who were top 15. We have a few in the 20-50 range, which is good, but head of the class. Great testament to CJL's coaching. Our last two setters were AA's (Manns and Landwehr). While they were good coming in, CJL coached them into being among the best in the country. Same with the last two liberos. I didn't think anyone could match AA Ashley Maas, but Hahn may be even better.