Texas A&M Game - 6pm kickoff

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Re: No TV for A&M

Jeeze, it's a Saturday dad, let 'em live a little!

Spoken like a true not-yet-a-dad.

A different thought: has anyone put together our W-L stats for the past few years on game time? I'd really like to go to an early afternoon game at home sometime.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Re: No TV for A&M

So we catch the time of the game on the Big 12 site instead of the cyclone.com website.

That is fantastic.

Somebody in the ISU athletic office should probably get on updating that.

The Big 12 office gets TV information first, and then passes it on to the member schools. That's why it was posted first on the Big 12 site, and shortly thereafter at cyclones.com.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
The Big 12's new TV deal is doing a great job getting almost all the games on somewhere. Plus it gives people something to whine about because the game isn't at that precious 1:00 timeslot...

(It's the same deal we've had for the last 4 or 5 years)

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
FSN sublicensed games to TBS. When TBS stopped doing football, FSN sublicensed games to Versus. In the last couple of years, FSN has sublicensed more games to ESPN/ESPN2.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
FSN sublicensed games to TBS. When TBS stopped doing football, FSN sublicensed games to Versus. In the last couple of years, FSN has sublicensed more games to ESPN/ESPN2.

Too bad TBS stopped doing college games. I always thought they did a nice job.

EggMcClone

Mar 19, 2006
Michigan
mylifeinthebasement.blogspot.com
(It's the same deal we've had for the last 4 or 5 years)
Maybe "new deal" isn't the right term but it's pretty obvious that there are significantly more Big 12 games on now than there were a few years ago. Selling the games to ESPN opened up a lot more slots and they also used to be deathly afraid of putting games up against each other but now there can be multiple games in the early and late time slots going on at the same time. Under the old rules/deal it would have been just about impossible to televise all 6 games like will happen on the 25th.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
Didn't the Versus deal just start last season?

What he said.

Basically, the only thing that's changed over the last few years is the "sublicenseee" (Versus vs. TBS).

That, and FCS. This year, we've really benefited from FCS.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
Maybe "new deal" isn't the right term but it's pretty obvious that there are significantly more Big 12 games on now than there were a few years ago. Selling the games to ESPN opened up a lot more slots and they also used to be deathly afraid of putting games up against each other but now there can be multiple games in the early and late time slots going on at the same time. Under the old rules/deal it would have been just about impossible to televise all 6 games like will happen on the 25th.

No, not really. The number of Big 12 games on TV isn't significantly higher than it was in years past.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
Yes it is. When have we ever had all 6 games on TV? I remember not terribly long ago we only got 3 on most weekends.

November 10 of last year we did.

The Big 12 generally gets 4-5 games on TV in a given weekend, and on rare occasions all 6.

EggMcClone

Mar 19, 2006
Michigan
mylifeinthebasement.blogspot.com
November 10 of last year we did.

The Big 12 generally gets 4-5 games on TV in a given weekend, and on rare occasions all 6.
You're talking about the last two years while I'm talking about a few years ago when we had a morning game on FSN, a 2:30 game on ABC, and a night game on TBS/FSN with an option for another ABC game. 4-5 was the high end instead of the routine. FCS, Vs, ESPN have increased the number of options as well as the league allowing games to be aired in the same time window which didn't always happen. 3 televised games going on simultaneously at 11:30 would have been impossible under that system.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
I do get a bit jealous watching Iowa on the Big 10 network. Even the crappiest team gets to play in HD every weekend.