Terrance Ganaway - 417 Yds and 6 TD's Video Highlights

Ganaway Fan

Dec 13, 2006
Today, Terrance Ganaway was named AP 2A Offensive Player of the Year in the state of Texas for the 2nd year in a row. He was named 1st team RB and in a tribute to Terrance's athletic ability and durability, he was also named first team defense as a DB. What a testament to this kid's heart and desire to be able to tote the ball 30+ times a game for over 2,800 yds and be named to the first team defense for the entire state of Texas in class 2A. Congrats to Terrance!

Last edited:

Ganaway Fan

Dec 13, 2006
From The Texarkana Gazette

AP honors DeKalb’s Ganaway again
Wednesday, December 20, 2006 9:02 AM CST

Senior was named Offensive Player of the Year for second season

From Staff and Wire Reports

DeKalb senior Terrance Ganaway became one of the Associated Press Sports Editors’ most honored high school football players Tuesday when he was named the 2A Offensive Player of the Year for the second straight season.

The AP released its 17th annual 2A All-State Teams, and four area players, including Ganaway were recognized on the top two teams.

Ganaway was a first-team selection on offense and defense. Paul Pewitt senior center Cullen Hightower was also a first-team pick, while New Boston senior running back Josh French and Hughes Springs senior punter Tanner Smith were second-team selections.

Only regular-season statistics are considered in the selection of the AP Teams.

Ganaway, who is being recruited heavily by several NCAA Division I schools, finished the year with 2,815 yards and 36 touchdowns. He also holds school records for a career with 6,562 yards and 71 TDs. The Bears’ senior standout had 93 tackles and 6 interceptions this season.

“Terrance deserves every honor,†DeKalb coach Buddy Ray said. “He deserved to make it both ways. Farmersville held him to 130 yards, but some people forget he had 13 tackles and an interception, too.

“I know he’s verbally committed to SMU, but there’s a lot of people talking to him now, particularly Rice. He told me he was going to sit back during the holidays and consider his options.â€

Ganaway started 34 games at running back during his career, finishing with 10 games over 200 yards, five games over 300 yards and one with more than 400 yards.

“I’ll tell you what epitomized his career to me,†Ray said. “He threw an interception on the last play of his career and the kid ran the ball out of the end zone and appeared to be on his way for a touchdown until Terrance ran him down from behind.â€

Corsicana Mildred linebacker Donald Knight was selected defensive player of the year and Division I champion Tatum put 10 players on the team, the most in Class 2A.

For Knight, the award punctuates a high school playing career in which he overcame a tragic adolescence. He was only 6 when his mother was shot and killed while he slept just a few feet away, forcing him to grow up in foster care as a ward of the state.

As a senior, Knight had more than 140 tackles, forced five fumbles and scored a defensive touchdown. Mildred coach Joe Drennon, a former Liberty-Eylau coach, said he remembers Knight coming off the field only twice in three seasons as a starter.

“He’s been good for this school,†Drennon said. “It’s amazing how everyone responds to him. People wear his jersey number to football games.â€

Tatum offensive linemen Dustin Davis and defensive lineman Jonathan Humphries each made the first team. Tatum beat Littlefield 32-14 on Saturday to capture its second straight title after winning last year’s Division II championship in Class 3A.

Comfort’s Luke Roberts was named 2A’s top quarterback after rushing and passing for more than 3,500 combined yards and 54 touchdowns.

Hightower (6-1, 270) was a 3-year starter at center for the Brahmas, and started the last two season both ways.

“It’s cliche, but Cullen is a good kid, a leader in our school, who was probably the most consistent player we had for three years,†Paul Pewitt coach Brian Huckabay said. “A year ago a lot of college coaches were interested in some of our seniors, but were already asking about Cullen. I believe he’ll have an opportunity to play at the next level.â€

French was a key player this past season during New Boston’s playoff run. He averaged nearly 10 yards per carry, finishing with 1,600 yards and 17 TDs. Smith made the second-team as a punter, but he was also an outstanding lineman for the Mustangs, and was recognized by the AP as a lineman on its honorable mention list.

Other honorable mention recognition went to Hughes Springs lineman Amos McCord; Clarksville’s Shamond Richardson and Jeremy Stafford at quarterback and receiver respectively. Stafford was also named to the HM list as a defensive back.

Daingerfield quarterback Matt Whorton was on the list, and so are running backs B.A. Betts of Paul Pewitt and Johnie Hurdon of Daingerfield. Hughes Springs linebacker Daniel Taylor and Hooks defensive back Cortez Smith were also honored.

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas
So who else from the Big XII is recruiting this guy? We're getting an awful lot of information and I'm keeping any enthusiasm in check. Does he have serious consideration for ISU or is he pretty much settled for SMU or Rice?

jlscyclone

Jan 12, 2007
Look at the video--this kid has great vision and agility--He cuts on a dime and accelarates quickly---plus another thing, someone mentioned that they wished he'd break that last tackle, but I like how he never seems to get hit--he seems to know when to get down and how to avoid unecessary contact--makes him very durable. The 'one play' they seem to be running really shows all his best qualities--vision, agility, hips and feet--looks like a good prospect to me

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
impressive...for your first post you recall a thread from a month ago

Ganaway Fan

Dec 13, 2006
I haven't talked to Terrance in a few weeks, but I did ask our high school coach, Buddy Ray, if Terrance was still going to go visit ISU, and he said as far as he knew, Terrance hadn't heard anything else from ISU. So, maybe ISU changed their mind. Who knows?

But, I really feel like with everything that has gone on at Rice in the last week, his verbal committment to them may change.

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
What happened at Rice? Has Terrance talked to the new ISU staff at all or was his contact solely with Mac and his staff?

Ganaway Fan

Dec 13, 2006
Rice's coach, Todd Graham, bolted to Tulsa. He took Gus Malazan, the offensive coordinator for Arkansas, with him. And Major Applewhite, the offensive coordinator for Rice, left for Alabama with Nick Saban.

To my knowledge, Terrance's contact with ISU was with Chizik since he was recruiting him at SFA before going to ISU. Not completely sure, though.

Nedrick

Mar 21, 2006
Carroll, IA
www.jdesignllc.com
Rice's coach, Todd Graham, bolted to Tulsa. He took Gus Malazan, the offensive coordinator for Arkansas, with him. And Major Applewhite, the offensive coordinator for Rice, left for Alabama with Nick Saban.

To my knowledge, Terrance's contact with ISU was with Chizik since he was recruiting him at SFA before going to ISU. Not completely sure, though.

Technically, OC McFarland would have been recruiting Terrance at SFA...

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas

Yeah, this whole Mahlzan thing here in Arkansas is stirring quite a buzz. Not only are people upset about Mahlzan leaving, now they're concerned about losing the Springdale players that came with him. For all the controversy these guys have created it might not be such a bad thing if they left. Mahlzan was a blow though. I think Razorback fans are finally starting to realize that the AD (Broyles) must go. I've been saying that for years.