Tennis 2022

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
They do not like each other for many reasons. Nadal doesn't like Kyrgios' attitude and behavior toward the game he respects and loves BUT more than anything, Rafa does NOT take kindly to people calling him out on on some of his tactics and getting favorable treatment from chair umpires. Most notably the time he takes to get ready to return a serve when the server is clearly ready. He's talked about Rafa's injuries to stifle the momentum of players in the past, and then turns around and is completely fine once he gets to see the trainer. Nobody stands up to Rafa in his mind, let alone a punk like Nick Kyrgios.

I need to look at Friday's schedule right now to make sure I am available to follow/watch that match!

• Agree
Reactions: GoHawks

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I said I thought fritz would be nadal's biggest challenge between the 2 and I still feel that way. I think this is too much pressure on kygrios even if he tries to deny it. I think Nadal wins a tight first set and nick unravels. 7-6, 6-3, 6-1. What's everyone else think? Winner and sets
You nailed the Fritz matchup. Big props there, as I thought Fritz had no chance. I think Rafa wins in five again. That all depends on Nick though if he keeps his head in the game. Otherwise like you said, it will be a blowout. Nick seems a little different mentally these last couple of matches.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Brad Gilbert is in "hype" mode already...calling Friday's matchup the biggest matchup ever. Which is a bit ridiculous but it certainly could be as fun to watch as any match might have been of late. Not necessarily for the tennis that might be played but still...

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Brad Gilbert is in "hype" mode already...calling Friday's matchup the biggest matchup ever. Which is a bit ridiculous but it certainly could be as fun to watch as any match might have been of late. Not necessarily for the tennis that might be played but still...
He was talking about Djokovic v. Nadal in the final if we get that. Which he may not be far off. Djokovic has been unbeatable at Wimbledon lately and Rafa would be going for the calendar slam in New York.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
He was talking about Djokovic v. Nadal in the final if we get that. Which he may not be far off. Djokovic has been unbeatable at Wimbledon lately and Rafa would be going for the calendar slam in New York.

Ah...that makes sense! But that does seem a ways away to me...Friday won't be easy for Rafa.

Reactions: jctisu

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
They do not like each other for many reasons. Nadal doesn't like Kyrgios' attitude and behavior toward the game he respects and loves BUT more than anything, Rafa does NOT take kindly to people calling him out on on some of his tactics and getting favorable treatment from chair umpires. Most notably the time he takes to get ready to return a serve when the server is clearly ready. He's talked about Rafa's injuries to stifle the momentum of players in the past, and then turns around and is completely fine once he gets to see the trainer. Nobody stands up to Rafa in his mind, let alone a punk like Nick Kyrgios.
Well said

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
You nailed the Fritz matchup. Big props there, as I thought Fritz had no chance. I think Rafa wins in five again. That all depends on Nick though if he keeps his head in the game. Otherwise like you said, it will be a blowout. Nick seems a little different mentally these last couple of matches.
I hope you're right. 5 sets with these two would be great drama especially since I don't have any expectations with other semi

Last edited:
Reactions: jctisu

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Pretty well describes the crap Nadal did to disrupt Fritz. Will miss Fritz. Two bounces and serve. Used the ball in his pocket for second as opposed to getting two more balls and messing with all three before the butt pick face touch routine and finally serving.

4cy16

Jun 14, 2021
Pretty well describes the crap Nadal did to disrupt Fritz. Will miss Fritz. Two bounces and serve. Used the ball in his pocket for second as opposed to getting two more balls and messing with all three before the butt pick face touch routine and finally serving.
I worked with or was around autistic kids for 11 years, I really think if tested, Nadal might be on the low end of the Autism spectrum. If not, he is most definitely obsessive compulsive.

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN
Anyone know if Nadal has ever said publicly that he has OCD? Besides his service routine, it also seems like he avoids stepping on lines between points, arranges his water bottles in a specific manner, etc. it would be interesting to know if he does this kind of stuff in regular life as well.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Anyone know if Nadal has ever said publicly that he has OCD? Besides his service routine, it also seems like he avoids stepping on lines between points, arranges his water bottles in a specific manner, etc. it would be interesting to know if he does this kind of stuff in regular life as well.
There's no point in him acknowledging it publicly. It's obvious he has it. I think he even does things like count his steps when we walks on/off the court.

Reactions: jctisu and legi

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Would OCD or autism make you act like you have an injury and go to the locker room? Maybe that’s just his crap I’m behind routine.

Would it also make him so distressed by one grunt that he has to talk to the chair and then later give the other player a talking down?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: legi

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Jabeur into the Final! And with first class sportsmanship at that. She and Maria had a great embrace at the net, and then Jabeur upped it by not letting Maria sit down, and instead took her out on court after both shook hands with the chair umpire to give her the spotlight with the crowd for a few seconds because Maria's run was nothing short of amazing.

That was cool to see, and I want Jabeur to win this thing so bad now.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Jabeur into the Final! And with first class sportsmanship at that. She and Maria had a great embrace at the net, and then Jabeur upped it by not letting Maria sit down, and instead took her out on court after both shook hands with the chair umpire to give her the spotlight with the crowd for a few seconds because Maria's run was nothing short of amazing.

That was cool to see, and I want Jabeur to win this thing so bad now.

She's great. I took this picture of her last summer in Cincinnati. The Western Southern is a must do if you love tennis. Smaller crowds, tons of player access and you can be right on top of the action on most courts. Last year was our first trip and we are booked to go again.

20210819_172935.jpg

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
She's great. I took this picture of her last summer in Cincinnati. The Western Southern is a must do if you love tennis. Smaller crowds, tons of player access and you can be right on top of the action on most courts. Last year was our first trip and we are booked to go again.

View attachment 100490
That is a wonderful tournament. All of our boys went to state in tennis and love the sport. Something a normal sized person can still excel doing. We took them to this tournament several times. Also a very underrated city.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017

View attachment 100490
Amazing photo and this tournament is one I want to get to, as I have heard it is absolutely top notch. Thank you for sharing!