Tennis 2022

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
There are good announcers. These guys seem appalled at Kyrgios but then that’s all they talk about too.
Kyrgios is not loved by tennis purists because he's kind of an ass hole who doesn't try all the time. I think he's funny as **** personally. The vast majority of announcers make the experience worse

Reactions: cyfanatic

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Kyrgios is not loved by tennis purists because he's kind of an ass hole who doesn't try all the time. I think he's funny as **** personally. The vast majority of announcers make the experience worse
Wasn’t McEnroe a tennis bad boy or something in his day?

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Something about Kyrgios is just hilarious. He’s such a baby and so outlandish but every sport needs that. When he actually tries he’s so good, so hopefully he dials in a bit here now that he’s clearly in this tournament. But he also just doesn’t care, so I expect him to go nuclear one of these matches and bow out.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Yeah which is why its funny he is complaining but AFAIK McEnroe always played hard.

Yeah...exactly! No one ever accused Mac of not wanting to win every single match he played! And I will a pass for criticising Nick K as Mac does admit that he had his own issues as a player but they were far different issues. Mac is a strong thread between tennis of the "past" and now. The players in between his era and Mac's seem to have other interests than returning to the sport to announce (at least on the mens side).

Reactions: GoHawks

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Something about Kyrgios is just hilarious. He’s such a baby and so outlandish but every sport needs that. When he actually tries he’s so good, so hopefully he dials in a bit here now that he’s clearly in this tournament. But he also just doesn’t care, so I expect him to go nuclear one of these matches and bow out.

I love watching tennis but I also enjoy seeing the crustiness of the sport pushed to the edge as well. Now...Nick needs to be careful as he comes very close to the line of turning into a jerk that will only be known as that. I love the fiestiness but hate the "quit" when things aren't going his way. He needs to make sure he respects the game and he can do that by playing hard all the time!

• Agree
Reactions: jctisu

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
So the Nadal thing...that was odd? I love Rafa but there is a time and place for everything and I don't think lecturing an opponent about ettiquite during a match is the right way to handle that situation today. Also didn't like Rafa lecturing the opponent at the net after the match. I mean...I appreciate Rafa's passion at the moment but his opponent's behavior didn't seem to rise to that level...did it? If that behavior bugged Rafa wait until Nick K meets him in the quarters or semis (if that happens).

• Agree
Reactions: GoHawks

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
So the Nadal thing...that was odd? I love Rafa but there is a time and place for everything and I don't think lecturing an opponent about ettiquite during a match is the right way to handle that situation today. Also didn't like Rafa lecturing the opponent at the net after the match. I mean...I appreciate Rafa's passion at the moment but his opponent's behavior didn't seem to rise to that level...did it? If that behavior bugged Rafa wait until Nick K meets him in the quarters or semis (if that happens)
I have never liked Nadal and his “sportsmanship” that is just cheating in my view.

However I find nothing funny about Kyrgios. Spitting at fans and throwing rackets at ball boys and drama everywhere on and off the court.

John McEnroe is awful and arrogant and biased. Does not make Kyrgios some freaking hero.

• Agree
Reactions: legi and cyfanatic

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I have never liked Nadal and his “sportsmanship” that is just cheating in my view.

However I find nothing funny about Kyrgios. Spitting at fans and throwing rackets at ball boys and drama everywhere on and off the court.

John McEnroe is awful and arrogant and biased. Does not make Kyrgios some freaking hero.

Agree that Mac is very arrogant...and certainly has been demeaning in the past toward women's tennis so that is uncool! But I like that the grown up Mac admits his faults while being critical of Kyrgios. Otherwise it would ring very hollow...or a lot more hollow than it might to some who take it that way.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
I love watching tennis but I also enjoy seeing the crustiness of the sport pushed to the edge as well. Now...Nick needs to be careful as he comes very close to the line of turning into a jerk that will only be known as that. I love the fiestiness but hate the "quit" when things aren't going his way. He needs to make sure he respects the game and he can do that by playing hard all the time!
I agree completely I can put up with all of his antics but when he doesn't try he loses me. Seems like his effort has gotten better lately and the solution might of been playing less. I think he's now 20-6 or something close on year. That's great record albeit not a ton of matches into July

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
So the Nadal thing...that was odd? I love Rafa but there is a time and place for everything and I don't think lecturing an opponent about ettiquite during a match is the right way to handle that situation today. Also didn't like Rafa lecturing the opponent at the net after the match. I mean...I appreciate Rafa's passion at the moment but his opponent's behavior didn't seem to rise to that level...did it? If that behavior bugged Rafa wait until Nick K meets him in the quarters or semis (if that happens).
Was he really complaining about grunting? Rafa of all people. I didn't see it though

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Nadal is a shoe in to the Final because his draw has become the easiest draw in slam history perhaps as a top-2 seed. He can’t control it but those are the facts with a couple of withdrawals and then some upsets. At this point I am hoping somehow Kyrgios actually can keep things going and meet Rafa. He would try against Rafa as he has made it known he doesn’t care for Rafas antics of time wasting and such.

This tournament needs something spicy. However as I said way back this next one with Van De Zandschulp could be tricky for Rafa.
I think Nadal was susceptible first 3 rounds but as we've said draw was a breeze and now his feet are under him. I'd be shocked if botic even won a set honestly. Hopefully you know something I don't you said it right away

Last edited:

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I think Nadal was susceptible first 3 rounds but as we've said draw was a breeze and now his feet are under him. I'd be shocked if botic even won a set honestly. Hopefully you know something I don't you said it right away
100% with you here. I don’t think Botic will win or even get a set if I was a betting man. However, grass is so weird that one really on day for a player can push them through. Botic has that grass game but the court is more weathered now. We shall see but he’s the first actual opponent that could maybe push Rafa. Although Rafa’s first match was way closer than I thought against a clay courter.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
The only thing I like about Krygios is the underhand serves. Watching guys like Nadal and Medvedev stand 15 feet behind the baseline to return serves pisses me off. Other players need to mix in underhand serves too.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
The only thing I like about Krygios is the underhand serves. Watching guys like Nadal and Medvedev stand 15 feet behind the baseline to return serves pisses me off. Other players need to mix in underhand serves too.
This I agree with. The racquet technology has made the game so one-dimensional and not for the better (just my opinion). Alcaraz is a shot maker and has a lot of variety to match his personality, which is why people are gravitating to him. I never want it to go back to serve and volley only because that's not exciting either, but an all-around game with variety of shots is what makes tennis fun. Robot baselining is so boring.

It's one of the reasons so many gravitated toward Federer a 15+ years ago because he pretty much had it all when at his peak. The shot-making and racquet control to come up with the stuff he used to do was just mesmerizing to go along with his on/off-court demeanor.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
This I agree with. The racquet technology has made the game so one-dimensional and not for the better (just my opinion). Alcaraz is a shot maker and has a lot of variety to match his personality, which is why people are gravitating to him. I never want it to go back to serve and volley only because that's not exciting either, but an all-around game with variety of shots is what makes tennis fun. Robot baselining is so boring.

It's one of the reasons so many gravitated toward Federer a 15+ years ago because he pretty much had it all when at his peak. The shot-making and racquet control to come up with the stuff he used to do was just mesmerizing to go along with his on/off-court demeanor.
Completely agree. This is why I always liked Federer over Djokovic and Nadal. He was just more fun to watch, more variety, more shot making. Djokovic and Nadal almost made the game into a pure endurance contest. Their baseline hitting is still impressive, and Nadal turned himself into a great volleyer, but I can only take so many 20 shot rallies before I start to get bored.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Completely agree. This is why I always liked Federer over Djokovic and Nadal. He was just more fun to watch, more variety, more shot making. Djokovic and Nadal almost made the game into a pure endurance contest. Their baseline hitting is still impressive, and Nadal turned himself into a great volleyer, but I can only take so many 20 shot rallies before I start to get bored.
Yep just a preference to what you like for sure, as there are tons of Nadal and Djokovic fans that obviously want the 4+ hour matches of 20-ball baseline rallies. Nadal is a master at crafting and adapting his game during a match. Like you mentioned, he is much better at the net than many would think, and he is tactical with when he does it. But in his defense (and Djokovic's too) why would you not sit on the baseline and just mentally and physically wear down your competition? You are quite simply just better at it then your peers, plus the punishment you deliver being on court that long and willing to do it all day is more a psychological thing than anything else. There are interviews of players that admit playing Nadal is almost scary because they know what they are going to have to go through just to MAYBE have an outside chance to win.

It's truly why Federer is the most talented tennis player ever. Not the GOAT because for me it's what you win, and Nadal has the most slams, so he has that title. But as far as pure tennis ability and technique, he's second to none. Nadal himself has stated this in his book (Uncle Toni still states this from what I understand) is Federer is the most talented player to ever pick up a racquet, and you aren't going to out-talent him. You have to physically and mentally put together a game that out does his talent, which is what Rafa and Novak both did. If you have never seen Federer in person close up (I did a the US Open several years ago) the guy doesn't look like an athlete. Seriously he looks more like a chemistry professor at a local college. But he's a flipping wizard with the racquet, and it still why late in his 30's before injuries here he STILL challenged Nadal and Djokovic more than anyone else.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
It’s so weird not having the middle Sunday off here.

Would love to know others thoughts in here on that. Do you like the new format or did you love the Manic Monday with every Round of 16 match?

I haven’t decided how I feel yet.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
It’s so weird not having the middle Sunday off here.

Would love to know others thoughts in here on that. Do you like the new format or did you love the Manic Monday with every Round of 16 match?

I haven’t decided how I feel yet.
Definitely prefer matches on Sunday. Works out this time that me and most fans will be off tomorrow but it of course doesn't always land on the 4th. I actually love how French open starts on Sunday too. Give me as much action as you can on the weekends. We will still have plenty to watch tomorrow