Tennis 2022

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
She is in Florida so I am guessing they bring her into to be "guest" analyst...not sure if she is doing any matches. She said she had chemo last Monday and talked pretty openly about her health.
Oh that's great news I just heard on the radio she had cancer I wasn't sure how severely.

Reactions: cyfanatic

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I still think Tsitsipas has another level in his game. I think ultimately he wins a slam this year but I'm not sure it's this one

He drew my attention last year but then seemed to be a bit off-putting after...was it the French he blew? Anyway...if he focuses on his game and ignores the noise he could be tough!

Reactions: GoHawks

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
He drew my attention last year but then seemed to be a bit off-putting after...was it the French he blew? Anyway...if he focuses on his game and ignores the noise he could be tough!
I think everyone has had it with his extended toilet breaks. He's extremely talented and I think he gives it his all. Unfortunately in Tennis those don't always go hand and hand

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Tore my calf playing last week, I’m a little upset with “Tennis 2022” at the moment.

I really miss my sons for a lot of reasons but they were always willing to play tennis with the old lady. My husband is not good at all at tennis. Would like to go hit some before my knees are total garbage

Reactions: GoHawks

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Tore my calf playing last week, I’m a little upset with “Tennis 2022” at the moment.
Ugh that sucks man. Hoping for the best recovery for you. Have gotten out a several times with decent enough weather. I have one guy I play (he's a 6.0 player so I get to see serious tennis which is why I do it) and he and I have the same philosophy...we refuse to pay indoor tennis fees during the winter hahaha. We are crazy though and as long as it's above freezing with no wind we will be out there.

Here's to a quick recovery for you!

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Djokovic did a lot of that kind of stuff early on. Then he got in better shape when he changed his diet and pulls less of that. Sharapova also.
The bending and pushing of rules in tennis has gotten worse over the years, with the most obvious one being the pace of play issue. Supposed to play to the pace of the server and that isn't always the case (Nadal is a big offender of this).

The amount of time between points for many players is akin to a batter in baseball stepping out between every pitch to adjust each glove and have a cigarette. It's a little ridiculous these days in tennis.

Some of my favorite matches are Federer v. Kyrgios the few times they have played. Those two don't F around when they are playing/serving. Fastest service games imaginable.

• Agree

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
The bending and pushing of rules in tennis has gotten worse over the years, with the most obvious one being the pace of play issue. Supposed to play to the pace of the server and that isn't always the case (Nadal is a big offender of this).

The amount of time between points for many players is akin to a batter in baseball stepping out between every pitch to adjust each glove and have a cigarette. It's a little ridiculous these days in tennis.

Some of my favorite matches are Federer v. Kyrgios the few times they have played. Those two don't F around when they are playing/serving. Fastest service games imaginable.
Kyrgios is a savage, if he liked tennis he'd be so good.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Kyrgios is a savage, if he liked tennis he'd be so good.
Normally he is the type of player/athlete I would never cheer for, but there is just something about him. He doesn't give a crap about conforming and brings so much character. It is unfortunate he doesn't truly care about tennis and has even said the only reason he does it is because he's good at it.

I've long given up the thought he will ever care to put it all together. But when he plays the top guys, he tends to bring it. I will also say he is one of the most misunderstood guys out there. The good works and charity he does in Australia is unmatched. Dude knows he is privileged and realizes he gets paid to play a game for a living, so he doesn't care about the bureaucracy that goes on in the sport.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012

This is why I am not a Nadal fan. Seems his fans will also make lots of noise so they delay his serve clock. Just painful for me to watch the shenanigans.

Federer and Roddick were fun to watch in some tight Wimbledon finals. They both just got on with it.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
This is why I am not a Nadal fan. Seems his fans will also make lots of noise so they delay his serve clock. Just painful for me to watch the shenanigans.

Federer and Roddick were fun to watch in some tight Wimbledon finals. They both just got on with it.
Federer is my favorite for countless reasons (one-handed backhand being a big one since it's such a lost art) BUT damn I wanted Roddick to win their last Wimbledon final. Roddick was never appreciated by Americans to the level he should have been. Only winning 1 slam and making several other finals doesn't look so bad now with the current garbage that is American men's tennis.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Federer is my favorite for countless reasons (one-handed backhand being a big one since it's such a lost art) BUT damn I wanted Roddick to win their last Wimbledon final. Roddick was never appreciated by Americans to the level he should have been. Only winning 1 slam and making several other finals doesn't look so bad now with the current garbage that is American men's tennis.

Imagine if Roddick’s prime was now, he would certainly have more. I think it was the 2004 Wimbledon Final with the rain delay. One of the talking heads, probably Brad Gilbert, mentioned coaching Roddick and since Fed had no coach at the time, said he was out coached by Mirka during the delay. Such a great match.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Sounds like the Djoker situation could extend into the French Open...ugh! I am not one that cheers for him but I willingly admit how great he is! But this is getting tiresome:

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
That was the best match of Roddicks life imo and he lost. He was the better player and deserved to win. I'm just like you huge Federer fan but on that day I was team Roddick

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Sounds like the Djoker situation could extend into the French Open...ugh! I am not one that cheers for him but I willingly admit how great he is! But this is getting tiresome:

I fall under the umbrella of a country has rules and regulations and everyone needs to follow them. It’s his choice to do what he wants but like all choices there are consequences both good and bad. If the French government has this in place now and it’s still in place as we get to May, he knows well in advance what’s going to happen.

Hope for all our sake COVID is in a much better place come spring in general.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I hope every tournament blackballs Djokivic. Guy is a supreme doosh lord.
He, and definitely his family, don’t help his cause with wanting to be liked by the fans the same way Roger and Rafa are. It’s as simple as looking in the mirror.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
So...can Rafa win Australian Open with all the drama of late and Federer sitting it out? Doesn't matter to me how it happens...but it would be fun to see him win another grand slam event. That said...things will have to go almost perfect for him to come out with the tournament.

Yes. Rafa can win this.

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN
I fall under the umbrella of a country has rules and regulations and everyone needs to follow them. It’s his choice to do what he wants but like all choices there are consequences both good and bad. If the French government has this in place now and it’s still in place as we get to May, he knows well in advance what’s going to happen.

Hope for all our sake COVID is in a much better place come spring in general.
Having clear rules is best for everyone so there is no confusion. Hopefully the French watched the incompetent idiots from the Australian government and do the opposite.

Reactions: mynameisjonas