Templeton Rye vs. Iowa Bourbon Whiskey

cycoticfan

Dec 14, 2008
Johnston IA
My brand is Maker's but I like Templeton very much also. This Iowa "Bourbon" has piqued my interest.[/QUOTE]

Have you tried 46 yet? Saw a video on internet TV about the idea and process behind 46 and I'm curious, but not sure it is worth the $$

Hawkcigar

Oct 22, 2006
My brand is Maker's but I like Templeton very much also. This Iowa "Bourbon" has piqued my interest.

Have you tried 46 yet? Saw a video on internet TV about the idea and process behind 46 and I'm curious, but not sure it is worth the $$

Maker's has always been my go-to brand too. If you'd like to try a good bourbon at a pretty good price, then give Buffalo Trace a try. I think it's one of the better values out there right now.

Last edited:

Cy4Patriots

Jan 10, 2011
I have a bottle of Templeton, but haven't cracked it yet, or every tried it. I usually drink rum and vodka. People are still on waiting lists for the Templeton.

chewbocka

Nov 25, 2009
I got a bottle of the Cedar Ridge last night at Cyclone Liquors, then got read the riot act by the lady for spending $35 on a bottle of booze

Broodwich

Nov 22, 2006
42.186391, -93.598597
Last edited:

CloneFan03

Mar 18, 2008
Cedar Falls, IA
My brand is Maker's but I like Templeton very much also. This Iowa "Bourbon" has piqued my interest.

Have you tried 46 yet? Saw a video on internet TV about the idea and process behind 46 and I'm curious, but not sure it is worth the $$[/QUOTE]

The Iowa Bourbon from Cedar Ridge is great. It is a bit sweeter than other bourbons I've had.

As for Makers Mark 46, I was actually at the distillery when they were bottling it and bought a few bottles there....FANTASTIC! Its Makers but smoother and a bit more smoky taste. I can get it at my local liquor store for about $30, which I don't feel is too much.

CloneFan03

Mar 18, 2008
Cedar Falls, IA
One bourbon not to try....Four Roses. Went to their distillery and sampled there and it is not enjoyable.

My favorite (and reasonably priced) bourbons are Russel's Reserve (by Wild Turkey), Makers 46, and Cedar Ridge.

Russel's Reserve is a great one to try for someone not into drinking bourbon. Very smooth and easy to sip on neat or with a few cubes of ice.

cbultman

Mar 12, 2011
I wish stores in iowa carried Pappy Van Winkles, I have to get it online. I have a bottle of this at home I need to find a good reason to open it. The 12 year I had last was phenomenal, this is one of the highest rated bourbon s ever I guess.

BourbonEnthusiast.com • Bourbon Reviews • Pappy Van Winkle

Cyclone Liquors on lincoln way man. its where its at. they have the 10 year, 12 year, 15 year, 20 year, and rye as well. heard they were hard to get, dont kno if they will have it for much longer. better check it out quick.

temperflare

Jul 9, 2007
Bondurant
Well, I bought a bottle of Iowa Bourbon (Cedar Ridge).

I tasted it... first thoughts: Nice zing! Smooth, but not as smooth as Templeton. Is it worth the $31.00 I paid? I'm not sure yet. I would definitely pay more to have Templeton though.

Thus, it is not as good as Templeton, but is a good alternative. Not a bad way to market it either as Templeton is rarely an available alternative.

I might try Knob Creek to see how different that is.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
So there is no American Whiskey that meets your standards? Or their rum is bad so their whiskey must be bad? Which is it?

There are MANY American Whiskeys that meet my standards. Most are Rye, not Bourbon. See, I have no pallet for bourbon. I hate the stuff. People have given me what they consider the best bourbon around, and I still hate it.

You seem to assume that all American Whiskey is bourbon. This is far from reality.

mmiille

Jan 13, 2010
Ames, Iowa
There are MANY American Whiskeys that meet my standards. Most are Rye, not Bourbon. See, I have no pallet for bourbon. I hate the stuff. People have given me what they consider the best bourbon around, and I still hate it.

You seem to assume that all American Whiskey is bourbon. This is far from reality.

I'm not sure that you are the one that should be giving advice on reality. I know that all bourbons are whiskey, but all whiskeys aren't bourbon.

But I also know that taking advice on which bourbons taste good from someone who doesn't like them isn't a good idea either.

You still didn't say which Whiskey you liked. Just a lot of them.

I could be wrong.

Last edited:

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
I'm not sure that you are the one that should be giving advice on reality. I know that all bourbons are whiskey, but all whiskeys aren't bourbon.

But I also know that taking advice on which bourbons taste good from someone who doesn't like them isn't a good idea either.

You still didn't say which Whiskey you liked. Just a lot of them.

I could be wrong.

My 3-year old has better comprehension skills than you do.

1) I admitted that I have no pallet for bourbon

2) I admitted I am biased on the subject

3) I was skunk-drunk with my first few posts in this thread. Not something you should take too seriously.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
My 3-year old has better comprehension skills than you do.

1) I admitted that I have no pallet for bourbon

2) I admitted I am biased on the subject

3) I was skunk-drunk with my first few posts in this thread. Not something you should take too seriously.
Next time your drinking you really should hand over the keyboard to a designated typer. No need to put everyones life in danger.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron