• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Which is what KSU tried to do (with a good Dline), and then a mobile Purdy arrived.
And we schemed to their blitzes perfectly as well. They tried doing what OSU did to us, and Manning sat Jirehl Brock on dump-off routes 3 separate times. Our WR's also did a good job of getting open on man coverage.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I think the combination of Breece’s breakout and more confidence in Dekkers behind Brock has (hopefully) gotten coaches more open to playing to that running nightmare Brock can give teams.
That is a great point. Having a backup that can be trusted will hopefully have them feeling comfortable letting Purdy do his thing. Obviously you want him to be smart and to protect him as best you can but he is best when he is moving.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
In 2018 Purdy was really beat up, and even in the first half with Montgomery out UT played to make Purdy keep the ball on the read option to keep hitting him.

Purdy appears healthy, mobile, and once again comfortable and making good reads in the option game. Crowding the LOS and man coverage all day long still is the best recipe for beating ISU. WRs need to win some battles at the line of scrimmage and OL needs to hold up to get some longer developing routes with double-moves open. I don't think it will be a game where ISU is able to methodically move the ball. I think it will be a lot of feast or famine offensively.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
And we schemed to their blitzes perfectly as well. They tried doing what OSU did to us, and Manning sat Jirehl Brock on dump-off routes 3 separate times. Our WR's also did a good job of getting open on man coverage.

That was a great call and well timed and executed. I think if you look back at the big grounding call vs. OSU that resulted in a missed FG, that was the play called, perfectly against the blitz. Breece got hung up in the bodies and couldn't quite get there, but had he been able to get through it would've been a huge gain, probably a TD because he was going right where the blitzer vacated the middle.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
That was a great call and well timed and executed. I think if you look back at the big grounding call vs. OSU that resulted in a missed FG, that was the play called, perfectly against the blitz. Breece got hung up in the bodies and couldn't quite get there, but had he been able to get through it would've been a huge gain, probably a TD because he was going right where the blitzer vacated the middle.

I'd love to see a parallel universe of the OSU game if that grounding call hadn't happened. Still might have lost, but it would've unfolded differently.

• Agree
Reactions: psychlone99

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
They said on pregame he was more of an emergency backup, I would say they gave him reps when the D was more wore down and if he missed a block it was not as critical.

I think that he is probably not quite 100%, but they wanted to get him in there for a few live snaps. It is a good sign to see him out there. Hopefully he will be in the rotation this week. ISU OL is going to have it's hands full this week, as TX is going to send a lot of blitzes at them to stop Hall, and rattle Purdy.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone and BCClone

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
Do we know for sure that only 15K will be in there? Our game against okie st seemed like there were 30k in there

Based on the latest information I could dig up, yes. If accurate, it would be a huge advantage.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
I don't know about this. Our team got a lot of rest in the second half on Saturday. May be the best warm up for Texas possible. Confidence is high, Breece is rested, let's go take care of business.
Two weeks to scout versus less than a week can be quite the advantage. While it is nice our starters got some rest, there is still having to prep differenty which can throw off routine. Ultimately excuses are excuses, but the advantage is on the side of Texas.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I think that he is probably not quite 100%, but they wanted to get him in there for a few live snaps. It is a good sign to see him out there. Hopefully he will be in the rotation this week. ISU OL is going to have it's hands full this week, as TX is going to send a lot of blitzes at them to stop Hall, and rattle Purdy.
Good. More opportunities for Jirehl to have some sick blocks.

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
Texas has a better d line than k state. I imagine their game plan will be identical to Oklahoma State. Also, k state was down two starting linebackers.

Similar thoughts as well. KState has a good D-line that I'm glad we faced the week before Texas. KState didn't bring too much pressure, I'm assuming because they were down two starting linebackers.

Texas' front 7 is on another level in terms athletic ability. I was surprised how well Texas' defense performed against WVU, especially Texas' secondary. WVU has a great passing game. Pressure up the middle with Ossai is going to present a real problem for Iowa State. Basing this off of athletic/fast defenses we've faced this year that liked to bring pressure. However, our o-line has steadily improved in picking up pressure. A few let downs here and there, but certainly improved.

Again, much like @BWRhasnoAC said, I believe this will play out similar to the OSU game; limit some of the big plays we gave up and absolutely NEED to convert long drives into points (did not happen in the OSU game). It was a pleasant sight to see our offense integrate shorter/quicker routes vs KState, which we haven't seen for much of the season. Quick reads and simple throws will make passing against Texas' pressure a bit easier for Purdy.