Teen Murders Father Because...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006
Personally, as tragic as each of these stories have been, I'd like to know the parents' track record on consistently disciplining their kids while growing up. Did they actually stick to their guns or did they let their kids walk all over them while growing up? If the parents let their kids walk all over them and let them get whatever they want, and then now said "no you can't," is it any wonder the kids go off? They've gotten their way the entire life.

Sure, some people end up being complete whackos no matter the environment they grew up in, but often case when something like this happens there's an element of parental blame as well.
I'd concur with this. In my experience working with troubled youth, it is almost inevitably the case that a troubled kid is the result of f-ed up parenting. There are some exceptions to this, but not a lot.

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006
Dr. Samenow's three decades of working with criminals have reaffirmed his argument that factors such as poverty, divorce, and media violence do not cause criminality.
Have you read the book? (I haven't) I'm hoping that he has some reliable numbers to back those assertions up. My first intuition is that he is primarily looking to sell books and is just basing this on his personal experience, because my personal experience suggests that he is full of crap.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
If you kill someone because they won't let you go on Myspace, you have serious problems that go far beyond parental blame. If it turned out there was abuse/negligence on the parent's part for most of the kid's life, I could see placing some of the blame on the parents.

Or it could be the opposite side of the spectrum. Since the gov't tells us it is wrong to spank your kids and now the education system can't flunk a kid because it could "mess with his self-confidence" attitude, it could also be that the kid was "reasoned with" by his parents and passed classes that he didn't care if he passed or not because he'd passed classes before with no effort.

Teachers can't discipline kids is also a crock. I got whipped by the principal quite a few times growing up and it taught to you not to do what got you in trouble. Add in the fact that I would get 3 times that amount when I got home only solidified it in my head. Now if a kid get's in trouble with the teacher and the teacher gets in their grill, they will be disciplined or fired and hopefully the parents don't find out or another law suit will be filed against the school system. It's a JOKE..

Kids today in the majority don't respect their elders and their idea of working hard is having to spend 20 minutes a week mowing the lawn. And the gov't tells us this is how to raise a child....:no:

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
Have you read the book? (I haven't) I'm hoping that he has some reliable numbers to back those assertions up. My first intuition is that he is primarily looking to sell books and is just basing this on his personal experience, because my personal experience suggests that he is full of crap.

Yep. I've read, studied and taught his material. His basic thesis is that criminals make "excuses" that are recorded by researchers with a "medical model" or "societal model" world view as "causes" for their criminal activity.

In reality, he theorizes that criminals are what they are because they are attracted to criminal activity. (I don't think that is too particularly shocking) At least the hardened 6% that are responsible for around 90% of all crime in America.

He builds off the work of Dr. Yochelson, who developed a database of behaviors that almost all criminals exhibit, known in the business as "thinking errors."