Technology versus Common Sense

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
A trucker in the U.K. trapped his vehicle on a farm road when he followed GPS directions in spite of visual evidence he was getting bad advice.

The road that the driver’s GPS device told him to travel down had a sign warning that it wasn’t suitable for large vehicles, which the 44-ton truck certainly counted as, the BBC reports. Nonetheless, the trucker took the road, knocking down tree branches until he could go no farther. A farmer who lives nearby told the BBC it was the third truck that drove down the lane this week.

Check out the photos in this link:
BBC NEWS | UK | Wales | North East Wales | Sat-nav lorry stuck in farm lane

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
My wife and I visited Gibralter last Thanksgiving, by car. Gibralter is a very, very tough driving town, with "alternating lane" traffic. (It's two way with one lane nearly everywhere.)

We were following a guy with a GPS, and his GPS took us THROUGH someone's office. I kid you not. Turns out the office used to be a warehouse, and it was warm enough they had the double doors open for ventilation. Of course, everyone kind of looked up from their desks, and in the British manner, promptly pretended to ignore us.

I think the GPS is, if not the devil himself, DEFINITELY a harbinger of the 4 horsemen of the apocaplyse.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron