Tech support question

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Curious here.
Suddenly, on Wednesday, I lost the ability on any of my computers to go to any Iowa State website, like www.iastate.edu, Blackboard, AccessPlus, or my CyMail.

I jerry-rigged a solution by using my phone with the WiFi off, so I think it's something to do with my apartment router. But, I suspect I'm not supposed to tinker with that (although I just might).

How do I fix this thing and get the ability to work restored?

Today's message: DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Also, I know it's stupid, but power cycle your router and/or modem

Disable/re-enable network connections

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
STK646852.jpg

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
If it's affecting everything going through the router you probably have a DNS problem there. Pull the plug, wait a bit, and plug it back in. If that doesn't do it you could try changing the DNS server on the router, but if it's provided by your apartment complex you probably don't have admin access.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I actually am having this exact same problem amongst multiple devices and routers in my apartment. DNS flush didn't work for me, surprisingly. Hadn't tinkered with it much since then. I may play with it tonight and report back with my findings.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Running flushdns on a computer is only going to flush the DNS cache on that machine. If nothing is able to resolve hostnames either the router is messed up or the DNS provider your ISP assigned is down

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I would change the router DNS to google or opendns. But it might be harder if it is a mediacom provided router. They tend to limit access

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Curious here.
Suddenly, on Wednesday, I lost the ability on any of my computers to go to any Iowa State website, like www.iastate.edu, Blackboard, AccessPlus, or my CyMail.

I jerry-rigged a solution by using my phone with the WiFi off, so I think it's something to do with my apartment router. But, I suspect I'm not supposed to tinker with that (although I just might).

How do I fix this thing and get the ability to work restored?

Today's message: DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

It's funny you mention this because I had the same issue with a couple of ISU sites I was trying to access. I tried in a couple of browsers and gave up, assuming the sites were down. It was back to normal yesterday but now I'm experiencing the same issue.

I did just try my phone (via Chrome) and it seemed fine. So maybe it's with ISU's site and certain browsers?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
It's funny you mention this because I had the same issue with a couple of ISU sites I was trying to access. I tried in a couple of browsers and gave up, assuming the sites were down. It was back to normal yesterday but now I'm experiencing the same issue.

I did just try my phone (via Chrome) and it seemed fine. So maybe it's with ISU's site and certain browsers?

With that, I'm going to cry and try Edge. I hate myself for trying this.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron