SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
Just a quick glance at the team stats:Right now, ISU is

-4th in the nation in scoring at 91.8 ppg,
-5th in the nation in rebounds at 46.7 rpg
-3rd in the nation in assists per game at 20.5 apg
-5th in the nation in Asst/TO ratio at 1.84
-5th in the nation in 3pts made/game (4th in attempts/game)

I'd say those are some pretty nice stats :yes:

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
Just a quick glance at the team stats:Right now, ISU is

-4th in the nation in scoring at 91.8 ppg,
-5th in the nation in rebounds at 46.7 rpg
-3rd in the nation in assists per game at 20.5 apg
-5th in the nation in Asst/TO ratio at 1.84
-5th in the nation in 3pts made/game (4th in attempts/game)

I'd say those are some pretty nice stats :yes:

What about shooting percentage? We seem to be hitting shots at a better rate than previous years.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
What about shooting percentage? We seem to be hitting shots at a better rate than previous years.

As opposed to the rest of the nation... not that great:

32nd in fg% (.500)
71st in 3 pt% (.381)
178th in ft% (.693)

Last years team was as below for reference but I would almost expect the 3 pt% and fg% to dip a little once we hit conference play due to playing better defenses.

fg% - .456
3pt% - .374
ft% - .731

cyowan

Feb 7, 2013
Ames, IA
I was just going to start this thread this morning. Funny how great Cyclone minds think alike. I ran across this in my research, which is basically the Moneyball way of looking at basketball stats:

Based on statistical analyses, the four most important keys for team success in basketball and their relative weights, in parentheses, are:

• Shoot a high field goal percentage (10).
  • Do not commit turnovers (5-6).
  • Get offensive rebounds (4-5).
  • Get to the foul line frequently (2-3).

Teams that consistently win basketball games do at least three of these things well.

(Source: What Wins Basketball Games, a Review of "Basketball on Paper: Rules and Tools for Performance Analysis" By Dean Oliver)

Not sure if I lend great weight to it but it's interesting to look at. Personally I like our rankings in scoring and assists to turnovers.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I also LOVE the fact that we've looked good early on, with Niang not really playing particularly well (*With the exception of his play down the stretch against Mich and BYU).

We have 6 legit scorers. Two legit PG's. 3 very good rebounders. We seem to play good defense in spurts (with Fred, we'll never commit to playing insane D for 40 min/game, but he certainly wants us to focus on it in spurts).

Depth and foul trouble would be my main worries at this point.

Dingus

May 23, 2013

32nd in fg% (.500)
71st in 3 pt% (.381)
178th in ft% (.693)

Last years team was as below for reference but I would almost expect the 3 pt% and fg% to dip a little once we hit conference play due to playing better defenses.

fg% - .456
3pt% - .374
ft% - .731

Who knows, those %s could actually go up if Bluford plays less. Fun fact, Bluford is averaging 3.6 3pt attempts/g in only 7 mpg (!!). The man's efficient. At hoisting up shots.

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006

32nd in fg% (.500)
71st in 3 pt% (.381)
178th in ft% (.693)

fg% - .456
3pt% - .374
ft% - .731

A bit deceiving. When you use effective field goal percentage (eFG%) that factors in the added value of the 3 point shot Iowa State is 11th in the country.

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
Who knows, those %s could actually go up if Bluford plays less. Fun fact, Bluford is averaging 3.6 3pt attempts/g in only 7 mpg (!!). The man's efficient. At hoisting up shots.

I've been meaning to find a thread to ask this question in. This is as good as any I suppose...

We all know that to get Kane we had to let Amardi go to Oregon. What did Bluford show at that point that it wasnt him we let (helped?) walk away? Am I omitting politics and/or academics and in turn making it more simple than it really was? Was Fred just thinking he needed another shooter that bad, not yet knowing that Naz would step up?

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
I've been meaning to find a thread to ask this question in. This is as good as any I suppose...

We all know that to get Kane we had to let Amardi go to Oregon. What did Bluford show at that point that it wasnt him we let (helped?) walk away? Am I omitting politics and/or academics and in turn making it more simple than it really was? Was Fred just thinking he needed another shooter that bad, not yet knowing that Naz would step up?
It was not a Kane or Amardi situation. When we got Kane I am certain we did not have any intention that it was Amardi that would not be on the team.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron