TCU Spends Most on Football

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
After the game Ben Bruns mentioned an article that showed TCU spends more than anyone in the conference and the way it sounded he agreed with the use of most of the budget being used on football. So what are everyone's thoughts on whether JP should have put more into football and let some of the other sports suffer?

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
If it were up to me I'd spend all the money on football and mens basketball and make sure the other sports had adequate but not lavish facilities, but those two sports are what I really care about.

JP is the athletic director, he's gotta care about all the sports, that's his job. Plus if you can succeed in a bunch of smaller sports I'm sure it's easier to defend the job you've done to your boss. Can't blame him but I can't say I'm stoked about the money we shelled out for the golf and track facilities.

Might **** some people off but whatever.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Let's cancel everything but mens and womens basketball and football.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
I can see the logic of once football succeeds the other sports can get theirs. Football funds the whole AD.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I have no idea how Bruns would know this as TCU and Baylor do not have to share their athletic expenses with anyone, and I don't think they do so.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Well...look over to the east here...Outside of football, wrestling, MBB, and arguably womens' basketball, the Iowa athletic department is a dumpster fire. Personally, I'd throw as much money into football and MBB as there is a valid ROI for...meaning, if you can see it making you more money, do it....those programs fund your whole department. But...putting all your money into football may not buy you more wins and will kill the rest of the department, so there's a limit to it, too.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I think we're doing it right with what we've got.

Since Bruns is a football guy, he's naturally going to think football should get the dominant share.

And he might be the project manager for the SEZ? So coming from a former player and now has a financial gain, I'd agree.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
I agree, those cross country and track programs that win titles don't deserve any money. Give to that ****** football program.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
If it were up to me I'd spend all the money on football and mens basketball and make sure the other sports had adequate but not lavish facilities, but those two sports are what I really care about.

JP is the athletic director, he's gotta care about all the sports, that's his job. Plus if you can succeed in a bunch of smaller sports I'm sure it's easier to defend the job you've done to your boss. Can't blame him but I can't say I'm stoked about the money we shelled out for the golf and track facilities.
I can't speak for golf but our new track is just a track - no taj mahal. Same with the softball diamond - it's new, but nothing special. Just Div. I facilities finally.
Lots of schools have separate soccer stadiums - we play soccer in the middle of our track.
We have substandard swimming and tennis facilities, so not sure how we would "divert" funds from those programs.
We do have a great cross-country course though!

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
And he might be the project manager for the SEZ? So coming from a former player and now has a financial gain, I'd agree.

Yeah definitely a very smart guy who knows what he's talking about but also couldn't really be in a position to be more biased.

LawyerClone

Jul 28, 2012
After the game Ben Bruns mentioned an article that showed TCU spends more than anyone in the conference and the way it sounded he agreed with the use of most of the budget being used on football. So what are everyone's thoughts on whether JP should have put more into football and let some of the other sports suffer?

I'd like to hear what we don't have that additional money would get us. Better coaches via salaries and . . . what?

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I'd like to hear what we don't have that additional money would get us. Better coaches via salaries and . . . what?

axmavr.jpg

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
We've spent a lot of money on football for a darn poor return. The only saving grace is tailgating and all the money spent wasn't spent on that, that comes from the fans. CJL deserves a VB facility before we throw more money at FB. I realize that VB doesn't make money and I don't know how to increase attendance, but she has created a very strong program out of not much, similar to what BF has done w/the WBB program.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron