TCU in the Diamond Head final

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
That is nice to see the conference bring home some more hardware.

I know people are "down" on the Big 12 this year, but even its "middle-class" (e.g., TCU, Texas, WVU, and K-State) are not going to be easy outs for anybody.

• Agree
Reactions: cycophagus

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Big 12 is still the top conference via Kenpom. They will once again get 7 teams in the tournament. Iowa State, Oklahoma and TCU are all going to be Top 25 squads at some point next month.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Love you, @surly, and you know I tend to be one of your defenders 'round here.

However, talking about your Purple Kitties and what they have accomplished so far (the preseason ratings now being pretty meaningless when we have 10-12 games' worth of data) and the fact that Dean Wade is having some injury problems...

Computer Rakings (# Overall / # Big 12)

Barttovik (#35 / #7)
KenPom (#28 / #6)
Sports Reference (#50 / #7)
ESPN BPI (#34 / #6)

I think "middle" is a fair, if even a little generous, way to describe you all.

K-State is still a dangerous team. You all play some great defense even if your offense is suspect. Nobody is going to be an easy out this season in conference. OSU and Baylor are clearly the two worst teams, yet I am not taking our opener in Stillwater as granted.

• Friendly
Reactions: Frak

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Now that they have Fisher back, I have TCU as 2nd best in the league. I think OU and Tech are pretty close to them though. A healthy K state is probably in that group, same for ISU. I have these 5 plus KU in the dance.

Texas should be in the group but nothing they've shown convinces me they will play even close to their talent level. Huggy has his worst team in a long time at WV, my hot take is Baylor finishing ahead of both them and Texas. Okie St is the team I've seen the least, they have decent guard play but not enough depth and size to compete against the rest of the league.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Sig, WVU doesn't belong in that class - sub ISU for the Eers, add TxT, and you'd be fine though. It's really Ku, your "middle class" (appropriately amended), and the tailgaters: WVU, oSu, and Baylor.
I dunno.

Seems to me like it’s
1. KU

2. TTU
3-7. ISU, TCU, KSU, Oklahoma & Texas

8. WVU
9. Baylor

10. Oklahoma St.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Sig, WVU doesn't belong in that class - sub ISU for the Eers, add TxT, and you'd be fine though. It's really Ku, your "middle class" (appropriately amended), and the tailgaters: WVU, oSu, and Baylor.

I dunno.

Seems to me like it’s
1. KU

2. TTU
3-7. ISU, TCU, KSU, Oklahoma & Texas

8. WVU
9. Baylor

10. Oklahoma St.

Computer rankings...

upload_2018-12-26_17-1-14.png

The computer rankings that do not rely on last season's data put TTU slightly ahead of Kansas (the ones to the right), though only very slightly. I understand if your argument for Kansas over Tech is something like "Self/Phog/KU boo refs," but Chris Beard is a really good coach with a really good program going. I think they deserve at least the tie at this point.

TTU has the defense to grind anybody anywhere.

My tiers...

1. Kansas / Texas Tech
2. Iowa State / Oklahoma
3. TCU / KSU / Texas

...then the rest bringing up the rear.

#1 / #2 should make the tournament.
#3 should at least compete for it.

I know we are dealing with limited data here, but I think there is some differentiation between ISU and Oklahoma in the teens and KSU/Texas in the 30s.