Tampa Bay AA pitcher's wife,son and mother in law murdered

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Just shoot him in the knee. He is wanted for triple homicide and you let him run up to an old man and grab him? WTF. Shoot his freakin knees and arrest him if you don't have a taser.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Also given what we know this might not have been a bad thing at all.

Then I'm sure a 9mm would work like charm. Not like we need him for anything on this planet anyway.

Did they even know about the murders yet when they apprehended naked man? Or did they know that he was prime suspect? What happens if he is indeed a man with mental health issues and it turns out he wasn't the murderer but is instead the only living witness. You've just killed your best chance of capturing a multiple murderer.

• Winner
Reactions: ArgentCy

Showtimeljs

Jul 2, 2015
Huxley
So awkward to watch.

The office seemed really hesitant to act, almost like he was afraid of what would happen if someone caught him on video shooting on unarmed naked guy...I don't think he had a taser, or didn't think it would work on the guy.

My best guess is that the office didn't want to give the crazy guy the opportunity to wrestle his gun away and cause things to get worse.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Obviously the officer handled the situation poorly, but if they shot an unarmed naked man you could imagine the backlash.

Video still seems fake...

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I think if a cray cray naked guy grabbed me by the throat from in front of me he'd get a knee in the nuts. The whole video just doesn't seem like how people would react in a real situation. Did look like cop was trying to mace him though.
It looked like the naked guy was rubbing the pepper spray off. Maybe the guy that got grabbed was tearing up and confused didn't want to escalate.

I agree that I'm doing something more than just standing there but it's always easier said from my couch at home than when I'm in that situation.

• Agree
Reactions: BoxsterCy

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
Did they even know about the murders yet when they apprehended naked man? Or did they know that he was prime suspect? What happens if he is indeed a man with mental health issues and it turns out he wasn't the murderer but is instead the only living witness. You've just killed your best chance of capturing a multiple murderer.
Maybe I've spoken out of turn. I guess my assumption was that they knew he did it at that point because it was linked in the OP talking about a family being murdered.

No, if they didn't know he was the killer, they shouldn't gun him down (certainly should've done more to keep him from grabbing that guy). But if they knew he was the killer, I wouldn't bat an eye at the cop putting a chunk of lead in his chest when he started running at him and definitely wouldn't mind after he grabbed the guy around the neck.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Maybe I've spoken out of turn. I guess my assumption was that they knew he did it at that point because it was linked in the OP talking about a family being murdered.

No, if they didn't know he was the killer, they shouldn't gun him down (certainly should've done more to keep him from grabbing that guy). But if they knew he was the killer, I wouldn't bat an eye at the cop putting a chunk of lead in his chest when he started running at him and definitely wouldn't mind after he grabbed the guy around the neck.
Define "knew". There are innumerable times that even if someone is the prime suspect it turns out that the prime suspect is innocent. Deadly force is necessary at times, and I think we have gone too far in making good cops reluctant to use it even when warranted, but I don't think that they should use it just because the guy/gal is a prime suspect. If they are becoming a deadly threat to others than the usual guidelines should apply, but again, don't throw out the guidelines because they are a "prime suspect". I don't want cops on the spur of the moment to be judge, jury and executioner - and frankly the good cops don't want that either.

• Agree
Reactions: CyDude16

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
Define "knew". There are innumerable times that even if someone is the prime suspect it turns out that the prime suspect is innocent. Deadly force is necessary at times, and I think we have gone too far in making good cops reluctant to use it even when warranted, but I don't think that they should use it just because the guy/gal is a prime suspect. If they are becoming a deadly threat to others than the usual guidelines should apply, but again, don't throw out the guidelines because they are a "prime suspect". I don't want cops on the spur of the moment to be judge, jury and executioner - and frankly the good cops don't want that either.
"Knew" - Past of know. I knew I had to take a **** at noon today.

Like the family was on the phone with a 911 dispatcher saying "My son is naked and trying to kill us".

Look, I don't/didn't know details but that's how I feel with what I know at this time.

• Funny
Reactions: CyDude16

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

This is my question as well. If you know about the murders no way you should let him parade around like that.

TexCyted

Oct 30, 2018
DFW
Shoot him in the knee? Fire some warning shots? C'mon guys, real life is not an episode of Hawaii 5-0. Taser seems to be a good option, but that could have very well been attempted before the video started, officers generally carry one cartridge, if that fails, on to the next tool. Pepper spray also failed. I am proud of the guy for not using deadly force in this period of policing. It seems going hands on and attempting a forceful arrest may have been another option unless he had already failed attempting that as well. The subject was arrested without additional harm is a good outcome in my book.

Reactions: VeloClone

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
I think order was lost when he ran up to a random person and grabbed them around the neck. That is, if it hadn't already been lost when he murdered three people.

Do you know what level of information was known at the time by the police? The police are not the judge, jury, and executioner, in almost every single situation.

• Funny
Reactions: cyclone101

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Whoever that officer is, needs more training. I’ve never gone through police training, but I’d like to think “Play grab ass with a naked crazy man, let him run around and grab innocent people by the neck” is in the book.
I mean naked guy was chasing the deputy, WTF did I just watch.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Shoot him in the knee? Fire some warning shots? C'mon guys, real life is not an episode of Hawaii 5-0. Taser seems to be a good option, but that could have very well been attempted before the video started, officers generally carry one cartridge, if that fails, on to the next tool. Pepper spray also failed. I am proud of the guy for not using deadly force in this period of policing. It seems going hands on and attempting a forceful arrest may have been another option unless he had already failed attempting that as well. The subject was arrested without additional harm is a good outcome in my book.
Very lucky to not have his gun taken away as far as I can tell.