Talk to me about property taxes in the Des Moines suburbs.

• Fanatics -

Thank you for your patience today and welcome to the newest version of Cyclone Fanatic!

Most of the changes we have made are very simple, but will greatly improve your user experience while visiting the website.

We have upgraded our forum software to speed things up. Our homepage is much cleaner and should be even more mobile friendly than before.

We appreciate your loyalty and are committed to not only keeping Cyclone Fanatic in tip-top shape, but continuing to build this community for the next decade and beyond.

We ask that if you are experiences any glitches to let us know in this thread . Will will be diligently working on the site all day.

Thanks again.

Chris Williams - Publisher

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
What are the best values? Clive address with Waukee schools? Johnston? Polk City with Ankeny schools? I’m having trouble finding anything online that’s actually up to date.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Moving back?
One of several possibilities. We really have our pick of where to live now and want to get back closer to the family center and our whims change between KC, TC’s, and DSM every other day so I’m going granular at this point.

Reactions: Cyched

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Johnston taxes have got to be some of the highest, but I do like our schools. Maybe Grimes in Johnston school district?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Johnston taxes have got to be some of the highest, but I do like our schools. Maybe Grimes in Johnston school district?
We were in Johnston previously so it’s definitely up there on our list. Hyperion is huge bonus points for Johnston as well.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Pick a neighborhood you like. Everything else is gravy. I've lived all over the DSM area and in Ames. Taxes won't matter too much to you if you like your neighborhood and your drive to work. And the schools will be as good as your kids make them.

1973 Banker Clone

Jul 17, 2017
Columbia MO
Top 5 city rates in order:
1. Ankeny city/Saydel schools
2. Clive city/WDSM schools
3. Urbandale city/WDSM schools
4. WDSM city/WDSM schools
5. Mitchellville city/SEP schools

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
From a guy who has lived in the area for 40+ years (only years in my life not in the DSM area was when I was in Ames), stay away from Ankeny.

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
You central Iowa guys have no idea how property taxes are elsewhere. 50%+ higher in Illinois QC's than Bettendorf or Pleasant Valley school districts.

Don't complain, it is much worse elsewhere. A tax client, John Deere employee took a transfer to Connecticut. Sold their $450K home in Bettendorf(4bd, 3 bath,...brand new) and bought similar priced/taxed place in nowhere Connecticut, 1970 2 bd split foyer. Yikes.

Last edited:

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Urbandale
In the DSM metro, I'd just move where you want to be. Tax differences between suburbs in the grand scheme of things are going to be negligible.