Alert: TAKING SUGGESTIONS: 2018 Summer Series Podcast Topics

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
The full and true inside story on what went wrong with the attempt to make Cyclone Fanatic nut cups! What went wrong? Must name names in the ISU trademark office.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Some excellent suggestions for the podcast so far. Not sure if I can add much.

1. When (if?) the football uniform reveal occurs, give your immediate impressions -- maybe each of you states your top Like/Don't Like analysis, and maybe how you'd rank the new set in the annals of ISU FB fashion.

2. Bold predictions for football '18, both Iowa State and BIg 12 in general; or by extension, maybe ISU sports overall for 2018-19.

3. A recurring mini-segment in which @brentblum elaborates on a subject, and @ChrisMWilliams nods in agreement. ;);) :D

• Funny
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

cyfan21

Aug 24, 2010
Davenport
Top 10 things to do during the summer while in Iowa, or 10 things that you are looking forward to in 2018 (doesn’t have to be sports related).

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
It would be interesting to hear feedback from two or three of the clubs that LW worked out for. What do they feel he needs to improve to be a 1st rounder in next year's NBA draft?

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
1. Who was hotter in her prime: Jennifer Love Hewitt or Sarah Michelle Gellar?
2. Better backup in a bar fight: Solomon Young or Cameron Lard?
3. True survival stories of people who stepped on the MU Zodiac.
4. True survival stories of people who went out drinking with Larry Eustachy.
5. Lake Laverne skinny dipping: pros and cons.
6. Do people who mow lawns for a living listen to podcasts? Maybe do a podcast about lawn care?
7. Shower beers: the final chapter.
8. An in-depth look at the halftime locker room antics and second half of the UAB game.
9. Inside the mind of someone who voluntarily drinks Natural Light, official beer of the North Korean prison system.
10. Better food to put as new menu item next to the Hoiburger: Blum'ing Onion or Chris P Duck?

Reactions: cyfan21
L

LincolnWay187

I want bold predictions on the next round of conference realignment. What month/year do I need to preorder my anti anxiety pills for?

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
1. Discussion on future athletic facility needs at Iowa State. Discuss whats happening at our peer schools athletic facilities. Include discussion if this arms race is good for schools or not.

2. Talk about the FIFA world cup.

3. Talk about other ISU sports, like Tenis, Soccer, Track and Field, etc.

Reactions: drlove

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
Talk about what you love most about being an Iowa State fan and what you don't love about being an Iowa State fan.

Along with that, talk about a pet-peeve that you notice in Iowa State fans that you want fans to change their mindset about. Things like stop comparing ISU to Iowa, don't be a dbag on Twitter, don't wear yellow ISU shirts, stop the "We are ISU" talk when it comes to nutcup moments, get to the game early, don't ask what channel the game is on, etc. Some of those are not an issue at all, but hope it gives you an idea. It's your chance to get on a soap box and (maybe) change some fan mindsets.

IlliniCy

May 21, 2008
Jennifer Love Hewitt or Sarah Michelle Geller? A roundtable discussion.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Can we get an interview with Gary Thompson? Have him talk about some of his favorite ISU memories, share some stories about being around other ISU coaches and the BB program and share some stories about his life as a broadcaster.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
It seems like you guys did this at some point in an earlier podcast series, but how about ISU counterfactuals? ("what-ifs")? Start with legendary negative moments and extrapolate how you'd guess the timeline would change. Some starting points.

What if Woody Hayes manages to not punch an opposing player before retiring? ... follow-up talking points: How much longer does Earle Bruce stay at ISU? Does he go somewhere else in-between while waiting for his dream job? How different is Iowa State football in the interim than what actually happened?

What if Iowa State closed out the Elite 8 game and advanced to Final Four? ... Does Wisconsin have any shot to upset the Cyclones? Assuming not, could Florida have beaten us? How much would winning the national title immediately change ISU's basketball program?

What if Yelk's FG in the Independence Bowl were called good (i.e., "correctly," in my view)? How does that change the football program's progress? Is it only a minor difference in the short-term?

A less-monumental but more recent example: Iowa State overcomes mind-numbing officiating and defeats KSU in the 2017 regular-season finale. What bowl game would have selected the Cyclones, who would be the opponent, and how would we fare? (The bowl scenarios would be simple to find, I'm not able to do it right now).

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
It seems like you guys did this at some point in an earlier podcast series, but how about ISU counterfactuals? ("what-ifs")? Start with legendary negative moments and extrapolate how you'd guess the timeline would change. Some starting points.

What if Woody Hayes manages to not punch an opposing player before retiring? ... follow-up talking points: How much longer does Earle Bruce stay at ISU? Does he go somewhere else in-between while waiting for his dream job? How different is Iowa State football in the interim than what actually happened?

What if Iowa State closed out the Elite 8 game and advanced to Final Four? ... Does Wisconsin have any shot to upset the Cyclones? Assuming not, could Florida have beaten us? How much would winning the national title immediately change ISU's basketball program?

What if Yelk's FG in the Independence Bowl were called good (i.e., "correctly," in my view)? How does that change the football program's progress? Is it only a minor difference in the short-term?

A less-monumental but more recent example: Iowa State overcomes mind-numbing officiating and defeats KSU in the 2017 regular-season finale. What bowl game would have selected the Cyclones, who would be the opponent, and how would we fare? (The bowl scenarios would be simple to find, I'm not able to do it right now).

Oh man, you beat me by like a minute. I was just going to suggest a "Sliding Doors" edition. It doesn't have to be negative moments either; just any significant (or seemingly minor) moment in ISU's history that if you change it, the timeline changes drastically one way or the other. What if Jim Walden doesn't stupidly burn TD's redshirt by using him sparingly his freshman year? Are we looking at the only three time 2000 yard rusher in NCAA history? And does one more year of Davis give McCarney a little extra runway to build the program up even more than he ultimately did?

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: cyclones500

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Oh man, you beat me by like a minute. I was just going to suggest a "Sliding Doors" edition. It doesn't have to be negatvie moments either; just any significant (or seemingly minor) moment in ISU's history that if you change it, the timeline changes drastically one way or the other. What if Jim Walden doesn't stupidly burn TD's redshirt by using him sparingly his freshman year? Are we looking at the only three time 2000 yard rusher in NCAA history? And does one more year of Davis give McCarney a little extra runway to build the program up even more than he ultimately did?

Cool, love your topic suggestion .Never considered the TD timeline, that'd be compelling discussion... I agree it doesn't have to all be negative moments, either, simply a timeline-shift thing.

Addition I'd make to my 1999-00 Elite 8 thought experiment -- would, by extension, winning the national title have brought a boost to Tinsley's draft status enough that he'd declare for draft after his junior year, instead of returning? How does the 00-01 team fare if that occurs?

If this were used for a podcast, I envision @ChrisMWilliams and @brentblum coming up with, say, 5 topics, then separately mapping out a timeline and comparing them. I think it'd be fascinating --- it goes beyond a simple "Nut-Cup" roundup.

Reactions: jbindm

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
List/rank your favorite "Dynamic Duos" at ISU. Players (or even figureheads) that seemed to feed off/compliment each other:

Examples:
Meyer-Blythe
Stinson-Blalock
Hoiberg-Royce White
Welle-Wilson (combined for 1300 pts in 2001-2002 season)
Heft-Walters
Pollard-Geoffroy

Reactions: cyclones500

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Discuss how the 2017 football season had one or two plays in every game that decided the outcome, e.g., Baker Mayfield fumbles at our 5 yard line and somehow Lanning sticks in an arm and pulls out the ball. Or Lanning hasn't learned yet to react soon enough to pick up the Iowa running back cutting across in front of him for a short pass and dives but misses the tackle and the play goes something like 60 yards. I swear every game had just a couple key plays like that..

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
3. True survival stories of people who stepped on the MU Zodiac.
I purposely stepped on that thing EVERY SINGLE time I walked out of the MU during my time at ISU. When I took my daughter on her college visit a few months ago - I told her about the superstition and then purposely walked over it again. My daughter and wife did NOT follow my example. So, I have survived and have had a relatively good life. Of course, I am not a millionaire so, had I avoided that zodiac, maybe I'd be rich???

• Funny
Reactions: GTO

scottwv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 18, 2011
Melrose Iowa
Where do you see Iowa State Athletics in 5 years, 10 years? Program success, Facilties, new sports/dropped sports, coaches, AD, conference affiliation, etc.

Last edited:

Help Support Us

Become a patron