Take this for what it's worth but...

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I think there was some scuttle of Wally retiring after this year before the season even started and we knew what kind of debacle we were facing. I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen. When he got hired, I don't think anyone expected anything more than 5 years any how.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
So what are we thinking will happen at the end of the year?

Mess - Gone (Reason: incompetence)
Wally - Gone (Reason: old)

Does the new OC clean house and bring in his own people?
Is the new DC Shane, or do we hire someone with more experience?

CostaDelMar

Jun 21, 2013
Atlanta, GA
I know Mess gets **** on all day on CF (and I'm guilty as charged for contributing), but why wouldn't we expect a change?

Any other team in the country would have some type of shake up coming given the results on the field. Texas did it a few games in, and here we are, "waiting" to see if Mess can pull something together. It is time for some type of shake-up. I know a budget affects who we could have quite a bit, but I'm not so sure a friendly hire for an unproven is worth the risk. If there is a shake up, then it must be someone with something on their resume. Mess had not called plays since 2004 when he was at Upper Iowa. He may be a "hell of a position coach," but not he is not cut out to coordinate an entire offense to the caliber we need.

nhclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2008
Wouldn't surprise me if we have 2 new coordinators next season. I think Shane would be a fine DC and it'd be fun to see if the style changed at all or if he was just a younger Wizard.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
If both our coordinators simultaneously leave it's going to be a long year next year too.

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
If both our coordinators simultaneously leave it's going to be a long year next year too.

Not any longer than it would be if they both stay. One can reasonably assume that if Burnham the Younger replaces Burnham the Elder we will have significant continuity. Look at Iowa, for example.

On offense, it is almost a given that Mess must leave. More important, however, is that we not only replace the position, but also significantly retool/replace the entire scheme. Remember: the debacle we have now is in fact the kind of scheme PR says he wants. He must change his thinking or we'll simply hear the same awful tune from a different trumpeter. For this reason, neither Sturdy nor Klenakis should be options. If that means they leave too, so be it.

Paul Clark wrote a good piece (on the other site) about the lack of identity of this offense, especially the ridiculousness of PR's OC-by-committee approach. Clark got gun shy about taking his criticism to its logical end (he reverted to some "stay the course" mumbo), but he made the right diagnosis.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
You guys are all thinking about this too hard. We aren't getting rid of any coaches, it's just CPR's headset man is transferring and CPR will be looking for a new one. That's all, nothing to get worked up about.

junckerl

Feb 18, 2009
Saint Anthony
If Wally retires we can always hire that DC they had a Texas a few years back. I think he is still looking for a job. What was his name....it started with a G.....oh yeah Gene Chizik

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Would Mac even consider coming back as a DC?

Seems like a slap in the face a bit, but he was a pretty good DC at Wisconsin before he was the HC here.

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
ISU is relocating the entire university to somewhere warmer to get better recruiting grounds?

I could handle that. The Rio Grande Valley in South Texas needs a major university. How about South Padre University?

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
I don't have a problem with the scheme. Personnel dictates who we are in alot of ways. It's not rocket science. Baylor, Okie State still run the ball. I won't touch the injury issue even though it's a huge factor. What bothers me most about our offense is the tempo in which we run it. I don't need a play every 8 seconds but we've got no rhythm. The Texas game was as close to what I'm talking about. I thought we looked good because we played at a quicker pace. All of this said, everyone on offense - well defense too - looks to have a fragile psyche at this point. They're not real confident after being beat up and that doesn't help execution.

nj829

Mar 18, 2006
Northwest Arkansas
I could see coach Mac coming back in a d-line capacity if he wants to not have the head coach headaches/health issues since him and CPR have a pre-existing relationship, and it's "home". Probably a 1% chance it happens, but it's possible.

CycloneGB

Jul 20, 2010
Charile Weis made Matt Cassel look good with the Chiefs. I'd take him in a second. We should just have both him and Mangino come in and put them both on a treadmill. Last one standing gets the job. Shouldn't take more than a minute or two.

I am getting the feeling we already tried this sort of thing.

Messingham won the SportCenter Trivia contest for the OC job.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
McCarney would make a HORRIBLE offensive coordinator.
10 seconds left in the game, down by 6, 4th down and the Cyclones have the ball on the opponent 2 yard line with a Big 12 Championship berth on the line. Punts.

Reactions: aauummm

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
I'm sorry to detract, but did you all see So. Miss is 0-7 this year and is it really true they've lost 19 in a row ?$?#

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron